Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Phoenix or Minneapolis
Phoenix 52 46.43%
Minneapolis 60 53.57%
Voters: 112. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-04-2021, 07:29 PM

1,348 posts, read 876,915 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZLiam View Post
I didn't realize daily water temperatures (which change daily) needed to be cited.
Today's temp in Minnesota but doesn't specify what part lol Very vague
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-04-2021, 07:38 PM

559 posts, read 1,323,374 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZLiam View Post
It may have felt like bath water to you, but I doubt the water temperature was well into the 80s.
Well, my relatives from Southern California were also at the lake. They were the first to mention it felt like bath water.

Old 08-04-2021, 11:18 PM

15 posts, read 8,720 times
The major problem that Phoenix has is that it's the least sustainable city on earth. Please read the book "Bird on Fire" by Andrew Ross.

The Valley only receives at most 8 inches of rainfall each year which will be nowhere near enough to sustain the continued growth that Phoenix saw between 2000 to 2015 and to replenish groundwater.

Old 08-05-2021, 08:25 AM
sub

4,963 posts, read 3,751,401 times
Whether people are concerned about the climate change narrative or simply sustaining a population of millions in a place like that, Phoenix presents all sorts of problems, for sure.
There is an incredible amount of energy and resources used to prop it up with water, food, and yes, even air conditioning.

Minneapolis gets hot in the summer, but places like it were becoming major cities prior to a/c or other modern technology.
They can grow their own food nearby or in their own yards, of course storing up for winter like most any other place, without having to use trucks or trains just to get food. It's a more realistic place for humans to live.
I say this as a conservative-leaning person who might be a bit environmentally conscience, but skeptical about certain things.

Ah, the hoops we jump through to not wear a coat, shovel snow, or bake in endless sun.
On the one hand I can understand we're all different and can even see certain appeal to a place like Phoenix. On the other, I just don't get it.

Old 08-05-2021, 11:35 AM

4,222 posts, read 3,730,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sub View Post
Whether people are concerned about the climate change narrative or simply sustaining a population of millions in a place like that, Phoenix presents all sorts of problems, for sure.
There is an incredible amount of energy and resources used to prop it up with water, food, and yes, even air conditioning.

Minneapolis gets hot in the summer, but places like it were becoming major cities prior to a/c or other modern technology.
They can grow their own food nearby or in their own yards, of course storing up for winter like most any other place, without having to use trucks or trains just to get food. It's a more realistic place for humans to live.
I say this as a conservative-leaning person who might be a bit environmentally conscience, but skeptical about certain things.

Ah, the hoops we jump through to not wear a coat, shovel snow, or bake in endless sun.
On the one hand I can understand we're all different and can even see certain appeal to a place like Phoenix. On the other, I just don't get it.
There's many reasons Phoenix is considered the most mis-understood city in the country, this posts highlights some. The Phoenix area is in the Salt River Valley which was settled 100s of years ago on Citrus, Cotton, Cattle and Climate (4 of Arizona's 5Cs with the last being Copper). This is an area that literally was settled on farming activities, because it could be done year-round and the rivers provided water from Arizona's high country.

Also, are we going back to the stone age soon? Are you all going to remove any electrical and gas furnaces next and go back to burning logs and coal? How much has HVAC improved since it's invention and how much further can it go? Homes in the Southwest are already being heavily powered by solar and storage is being added now, this is a region that can sustain itself with 100% renewable energy in the not too distant future.

I guess if you want to live in the past you can worry about how Phoenix would exist prior to technology, innovations, and other modern world inventions. But I see no point in that.

Last edited by locolife; 08-05-2021 at 12:10 PM..

Old 08-05-2021, 12:07 PM

4,222 posts, read 3,730,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tsurumido View Post
The major problem that Phoenix has is that it's the least sustainable city on earth. Please read the book "Bird on Fire" by Andrew Ross.

The Valley only receives at most 8 inches of rainfall each year which will be nowhere near enough to sustain the continued growth that Phoenix saw between 2000 to 2015 and to replenish groundwater.
Actually the real problem with Phoenix is how misunderstood it is and the inability for individuals to process something different. Yes, the West doesn't fit into the mold of urbanism in the traditional old sense. Please read the book written by someone who actually has lived here his whole life and works in development, it's called The Future of the Suburban City: Lessons from Sustaining Phoenix by Grady Gammage Jr.

"There exists a category of American cities in which the line between suburban and urban is almost impossible to locate. These suburban cities arose in the last half of twentieth-century America, based largely on the success of the single-family home, shopping centers, and the automobile. The low-density, auto-centric development of suburban cities, which are largely in the arid West, presents challenges for urban sustainability as it is traditionally measured. Yet, some of these cities—Los Angeles, Las Vegas, Phoenix, Salt Lake, Dallas, Tucson, San Bernardino, and San Diego—continue to be among the fastest growing places in the United States."

Last edited by locolife; 08-05-2021 at 12:22 PM..

Old 08-05-2021, 12:42 PM

579 posts, read 511,913 times
PHX.

Any city where a large chunk of the population wants to defund the police, because a crackhead got choked out by a cop is not a place I want to live. You may not agree, but there is no way I would raise my kids there.

Old 08-05-2021, 12:52 PM

6,083 posts, read 10,695,817 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Valley Boy View Post
PHX.

Any city where a large chunk of the population wants to defund the police, because a crackhead got choked out by a cop is not a place I want to live. You may not agree, but there is no way I would raise my kids there.
What a dumb post.

Old 08-05-2021, 02:25 PM
sub

4,963 posts, read 3,751,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Valley Boy View Post
PHX.

I agree it wasn't Minneapolis' finest moment. Regardless of what we think of one police officer's actions, it was very disappointing there wasn't more common sense about the situation.
Sadly, I think there could be a lot of people in Phoenix who think defunding the police is a good idea. It's just a matter of time till they take over, unless this country gets a grip on reality.
I know, I know... it's not just about dismantling the police and turning into some anarchist society, but still, I don't think those people fully thought things through.

For now, those kind of politics is one area I might trust Phoenix a little more.

Old 08-05-2021, 04:51 PM

6,772 posts, read 4,510,918 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InterestingArm3750 View Post
Aren’t all these points opinions? Lol

Phoenix is a sprawling beige wasteland with movie theaters and malls as cultural institutions. It’s all soulless endless strip malls, tract houses, and concrete. No thanks.
Sure beats the brutal cold, pretentious, looting/burning/violence, rapidly rising cost of living/homelessness of MSP. MSP metro has it's share of tract housing and strip malls as well. I'm familiar with both metros and been to both multiple times. Though neither would be my choice, between these two, PHX is the easy choice for me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City