Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-13-2021, 02:48 PM

20,514 posts, read 33,519,512 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
Exceptional: NYC, DC, Boston, Philadelphia, Miami, Chicago, LA, SF, Seattle

Above Average: Atlanta, Cleveland, St Louis, Minneapolis, Dallas, Austin, Denver, Honolulu, Las Vegas, New Orleans

Average: Nashville, Columbus, Orlando, Tampa, Houston, Phoenix, San Diego

Below Average
: Detroit, Indianapolis, Cincinnati, Milwaukee, Jacksonville, Kansas City, San Antonio
Houston in the same tier as Nashville and Columbus and below cities like Tampa, Orlando, and Austin?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-13-2021, 02:50 PM

457 posts, read 349,264 times
Food offerings are usually commensurate with metro size, except in cases like New Orleans which is a massive cultural/tourist draw but most cities do not perform above their metro level when it comes to this. I think it's unfair to add Jacksonville to this list because of that. It tends to perform well within it's metro peers or maybe better given the freshness of seafood. My guess is that it was included in this list because of city pop which shouldn't be used as a comparison metric for pretty much anything.

Old 07-13-2021, 02:52 PM

16,508 posts, read 26,291,623 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AeternaII View Post
Diversity is part of quality.
Ok well since we can just makeup stuff, originality is part of quality and none of these cities have anything original. Its just food from other cultures.

Old 07-13-2021, 02:53 PM

27,182 posts, read 43,876,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
Houston in the same tier as Nashville and Columbus and below cities like Tampa, Orlando, and Austin?
I went in geographical order (sort of) like the OP and wasn't differentiating among each group.

Old 07-13-2021, 02:59 PM

27,182 posts, read 43,876,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Landolakes90 View Post
Food offerings are usually commensurate with metro size, except in cases like New Orleans which is a massive cultural/tourist draw but most cities do not perform above their metro level when it comes to this. I think it's unfair to add Jacksonville to this list because of that. It tends to perform well within it's metro peers or maybe better given the freshness of seafood. My guess is that it was included in this list because of city pop which shouldn't be used as a comparison metric for pretty much anything.
Though food offerings aren't always about size in correlation to quality as a city like Asheville NC would hold its own with top-tier cities and exceed the many mid-tier here, despite being many times smaller. Other examples (though larger) are Providence RI or Portland OR.

Old 07-13-2021, 03:02 PM

8,323 posts, read 5,484,706 times
Quote:
Exceptional: NYC, DC, Boston, Philadelphia, Miami, Chicago, LA, SF, Seattle

Above Average: Atlanta, Cleveland, St Louis, Minneapolis, Dallas, Austin, Denver, Honolulu, Las Vegas, New Orleans

Average: Nashville, Columbus, Orlando, Tampa, Houston, Phoenix, San Diego

Below Average
: Detroit, Indianapolis, Cincinnati, Milwaukee, Jacksonville, Kansas City, San Antonio
Youve never eaten in Houston I guess.

Old 07-13-2021, 03:02 PM

9,859 posts, read 6,574,356 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annie_himself View Post
Ok well since we can just makeup stuff, originality is part of quality and none of these cities have anything original. Its just food from other cultures.
It’s not making annything up. NOLA is behind in diversity. I lived in Louisiana, I would know. You’re right about originality and being first in this regard and this is why I ranked ir where I did. But it loses points to others for lack of diversity.

Old 07-13-2021, 03:04 PM

5,293 posts, read 6,056,775 times
Quote:
Though food offerings aren't always about size in correlation to quality as a city like Asheville NC would hold its own with top-tier cities and exceed the many mid-tier here, despite being many times smaller. Other examples (though larger) are Providence RI or Portland OR.
Both Providence and Portland are larger metros than Jax though. Asheville may punch above it’s weight, though I’d argue it doesn’t have a better restaurant scene than a 1.5 million metro just based on volume alone. I certainly wouldn’t argue per capita.

Old 07-13-2021, 03:09 PM

20,514 posts, read 33,519,512 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ParaguaneroSwag View Post
Exceptional: NYC, LA, Chicago, Houston, Dallas, Philly

Above Average: DC, Vegas, KC, Nashville, NOLA, Miami, Orlando, St Louis, Phoenix, SF

Atlanta, Austin, Cleveland, Orlando, Tampa, San Antonio, Denver

Below Average Indianápolis, Columbus, Jacksonville

Before anyone asks, reason I didn’t put SF at the top is because their ethnic food seems to have taken a hit recently. I’m sure COL has something to do with this.
Yeah but SF's fine dining and diversity surely is enough to put in exceptional. I would replace Dallas with SF on your list. NOLA I can understand why it's above average because while it is extremely unique and the best at it, it doesn't have the variety as much as larger cities do. Still that uniqueness nearly alone puts it in Exceptional to me.

Exceptional: : NYC, LA, Chicago, SF, Houston, Philly, New Orleans

Above Average: DC (is greatly improving and I think will upgrade to Exceptional in a few years), Las Vegas, Seattle, Kansas City, Dallas, Miami, Phoenix, Boston, Atlanta, St Louis

Average: Austin (another one that I could see rising in a few years), Orlando, Tampa, Cleveland, Denver, San Diego

Below Average: Columbus, Milwaukee, Indianapolis, San Antonio

The ones in bold and underlined would be higher if there was a category higher than exceptional.

Old 07-13-2021, 03:11 PM

8,323 posts, read 5,484,706 times
There are 5 metrics I know of to rank food cities:

1) ethnic diverse offerings
2) fine dining
3) regional cuisine
4) innovation
5) affordable eats
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City