Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-15-2021, 07:25 AM

12,157 posts, read 7,985,265 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by norcal2k19 View Post
Yeah I generally agree. The OP was looking at it from this perspective: "Im going by good food, comfort food, bar/pub/local foods. I don't eat at Michelin restaurants or very rarely [pay over $20 for a meal because I find that to be a waste of money.. im very frugal. But I will take a shot at this of cities where I have been. I also am going pound for pound on a city level here too."

And for sure New Haven > Raleigh when it comes to food.
Yeah exactly. People rate by other dining metrics, which is great. I dont.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-15-2021, 08:12 AM

1,151 posts, read 1,653,945 times
How come Baltimore and Pittsburgh were left off the list?

Old 07-15-2021, 08:14 AM

169 posts, read 126,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by masssachoicetts View Post
Again, im not talking about michellin star restaurants or even 5 star ones. Ive rarely ate at one outside of like special ocassions

Also im not a fan of Cajun so im not sure how i would like the cuisine in Nola when im extremely bias to Greek, Italian and Mediterranean dishes.

Also people sleep on Raleigh.. southern meet the new york/northern cuisines. Never had a bad meal there ever
Even if you’re talking about hole in the wall places, Houston, Miami and Atlanta have SO much amazing food from a HUGE variety of ethnic influences (including soul food) that it’s baffling you’d place New Haven and Raleigh above them.

Old 07-15-2021, 08:32 AM

12,157 posts, read 7,985,265 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InterestingArm3750 View Post
Even if you’re talking about hole in the wall places, Houston, Miami and Atlanta have SO much amazing food from a HUGE variety of ethnic influences (including soul food) that it’s baffling you’d place New Haven and Raleigh above them.
Ive had some of the worst food ive ever had in Miami. If an area has 1000 good places and 700 bad… i will rank it lower than the place that has 50 good, 5 bad. For example. Thats the approach I took based off my own experience

If i never had a bad dining experience in city A, why would I ever rate it below the top tier? If City B has more to offer but I continually have poor or underwhelming experiences there, but groupthink tells me i should put it above city A .. then that would not demonstrate my experiences ive had and there would be no point of discussion if everyone just ranked them the same.

Old 07-15-2021, 08:36 AM

9,434 posts, read 4,249,505 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by STLgasm View Post
How come Baltimore and Pittsburgh were left off the list?
And Memphis and Savannah? All worthy food locations imo.

Old 07-15-2021, 09:15 AM

20,514 posts, read 33,516,731 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boston Shudra View Post
If New Orleans isn’t Cajun, then where is?
It's mostly South Central Louisiana around Lafayette and New Iberia and places like that. Cajun food can be found in New Orleans and in abundance but New Orleans is mostly Creole food.

Old 07-15-2021, 09:29 AM

4,344 posts, read 2,801,951 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boston Shudra View Post
If New Orleans isn’t Cajun, then where is?
Quote:
Again, im not talking about michellin star restaurants or even 5 star ones. Ive rarely ate at one outside of like special ocassions

Also im not a fan of Cajun so im not sure how i would like the cuisine in Nola when im extremely bias to Greek, Italian and Mediterranean dishes.

Also people sleep on Raleigh.. southern meet the new york/northern cuisines. Never had a bad meal there ever
Quote:
Originally Posted by Surge0001 View Post
Yea, no it’s actually both... and It is not beyond the two genre
Cajun Cusine is not the same as Creole Cuisine.
Both share influences being a mix of French and African cultures. The Cajuns are displaced Arcadians. The decendants of French Canadians. Creole is a more broad term. While Cajun was originally used to describe displaced white Arcadians and their white decendants, A Creole was originally described as a white person of French descent who was born in the New World. Under that definition the Cajuns were Creoles but the Creoles were not all Cajuns because they did not all share that Arcadian Heritage.

The Definition of Creole was later expanded to include all people of European descent (not just from France) who were born in the New World and who may or may not be mixed with African and or Native American.

Summary:
Cajun - descendants of French Canadians
Creole- The locally born population that has at least one European ancestor.

Some look at Cajun cuisine as Distinct from Creole, I don't, but for purposes of this thread it doesn't matter.

The people who are using Cajun to describe New Orleans are using incorrect nomenclature. Creole would be the accurate term.

For example, it is correct to say that New Mexico has good Mexican Cuisine but incorrect to refer to the food there as Tex Mex even though Tex Mex has found its way there as it has all over. TEX Mex is just one branch of Mexican cuisine as Cajun is but one branch of Creole Cuisine.

When we think of Creole we think of things like
Jambalaya, PoBoys, Gumbo. But Creole is a lot more broad than that. Creole Cooking is more than just the ones if French Descent.

Let's take Jambalaya for example. There is good reason why people look at Cajun as Distinct from Creole. There's is Cajun Jambalaya, which is the Brown Jambalaya; and there is New Orleans Jambalaya which is the more well known tomato based Jambalaya.

New Orleans was the major port of entry for the heart of the country so it saw spices and other ingredients from other countries that were harder to come by in most other places.

To call a dish like the Mufaletta Cajun is inaccurate because it was developed by Creoles of non Cajun descent.

This is a classic example of how incorrect it is to look at New Orleans as simply Cajun or even as simply food of French Descent.

Apart from all the Creole Food New Orleans is known for there are also lots of different ethnic foods that it is not known for that it does do well. That includes Italian, Vietnamese and even American.

Fusion foods seem to be the new big thing, but New Orleans has been mastering it for hundreds of years.

Anyway, point of this long rant is that it is wrong to refer to all of New Orleans offerings as Cajun as that is just a subset of one area of food offerings from New Orleans.

Old 07-15-2021, 10:23 AM

9,855 posts, read 6,570,632 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by atadytic19 View Post
Cajun Cusine is not the same as Creole Cuisine.
Both share influences being a mix of French and African cultures. The Cajuns are displaced Arcadians. The decendants of French Canadians. Creole is a more broad term. While Cajun was originally used to describe displaced white Arcadians and their white decendants, A Creole was originally described as a white person of French descent who was born in the New World. Under that definition the Cajuns were Creoles but the Creoles were not all Cajuns because they did not all share that Arcadian Heritage.

The Definition of Creole was later expanded to include all people of European descent (not just from France) who were born in the New World and who may or may not be mixed with African and or Native American.

Summary:
Cajun - descendants of French Canadians
Creole- The locally born population that has at least one European ancestor.

Some look at Cajun cuisine as Distinct from Creole, I don't, but for purposes of this thread it doesn't matter.

The people who are using Cajun to describe New Orleans are using incorrect nomenclature. Creole would be the accurate term.

For example, it is correct to say that New Mexico has good Mexican Cuisine but incorrect to refer to the food there as Tex Mex even though Tex Mex has found its way there as it has all over. TEX Mex is just one branch of Mexican cuisine as Cajun is but one branch of Creole Cuisine.

When we think of Creole we think of things like
Jambalaya, PoBoys, Gumbo. But Creole is a lot more broad than that. Creole Cooking is more than just the ones if French Descent.

Let's take Jambalaya for example. There is good reason why people look at Cajun as Distinct from Creole. There's is Cajun Jambalaya, which is the Brown Jambalaya; and there is New Orleans Jambalaya which is the more well known tomato based Jambalaya.

New Orleans was the major port of entry for the heart of the country so it saw spices and other ingredients from other countries that were harder to come by in most other places.

To call a dish like the Mufaletta Cajun is inaccurate because it was developed by Creoles of non Cajun descent.

This is a classic example of how incorrect it is to look at New Orleans as simply Cajun or even as simply food of French Descent.

Apart from all the Creole Food New Orleans is known for there are also lots of different ethnic foods that it is not known for that it does do well. That includes Italian, Vietnamese and even American.

Fusion foods seem to be the new big thing, but New Orleans has been mastering it for hundreds of years.

Anyway, point of this long rant is that it is wrong to refer to all of New Orleans offerings as Cajun as that is just a subset of one area of food offerings from New Orleans.
This is spot on. However, Houston excels in neither in my opinon, but more so Creole than Cajun for sure. But again, neither.

Old 07-15-2021, 12:59 PM

4,344 posts, read 2,801,951 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ParaguaneroSwag View Post
This is spot on. However, Houston excels in neither in my opinon, but more so Creole than Cajun for sure. But again, neither.
I love Houston food, but I agree. Houston doesn't do Creole all that well. Lol not even Popeyes

Old 07-15-2021, 01:10 PM

7,409 posts, read 6,540,013 times
It’s fairly hard to miss good food in Miami, but where it falls short is on the “popular price”/more affordable end (I wish it had some of the healthier chains found out West, such as Tender Greens, Pick up Stix and Daphnes Greek Cafe). Even good Asian—which one would think Miami does not have but does—is quite good, though the good places are geared towards higher price points. I eat out every meal (haven’t cooked since 1986) and Miami dining does get expensive.

Quote:
Ive had some of the worst food ive ever had in Miami. If an area has 1000 good places and 700 bad… i will rank it lower than the place that has 50 good, 5 bad. For example. Thats the approach I took based off my own experience

If i never had a bad dining experience in city A, why would I ever rate it below the top tier? If City B has more to offer but I continually have poor or underwhelming experiences there, but groupthink tells me i should put it above city A .. then that would not demonstrate my experiences ive had and there would be no point of discussion if everyone just ranked them the same.

Last edited by elchevere; 07-15-2021 at 01:23 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City