Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Annapolis, MD vs Newport, RI
Annapolis, MD 11 36.67%
Newport, RI 19 63.33%
Voters: 30. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-22-2021, 07:17 PM

23,571 posts, read 18,678,020 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by masssachoicetts View Post
Ptown is great. But the rest of the cape other than some cool beaches like mayflower and welfeeet marconi is bland.

My paternal uncle just bought a home there. I dont get it. All my new york friends love the cape and i disagree
The entire national seashore is beautiful, as well as nice beaches on the mid-Cape (ie. Craigville) and throughout. Lots of history, classic coastal scenery and quaint towns, slower more relaxed pace than mainland Mass. If it's not your thing it's not your thing, but I'm not sure what's not to "get" given those features are what a lot of people are looking for as a vacation/retirement destination. Maybe ask your uncle what you're missing?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-22-2021, 07:22 PM

12,159 posts, read 7,989,874 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by massnative71 View Post
In what regard?
Quote:
The entire national seashore is beautiful, as well as nice beaches on the mid-Cape (ie. Craigville) and throughout. Lots of history, classic coastal scenery and quaint towns, slower more relaxed pace than mainland Mass. If it's not your thing it's not your thing, but I'm not sure what's not to "get" given those features are what a lot of people are looking for as a vacation/retirement destination. Maybe ask your uncle what you're missing?
Im personally not a fan.

But again im the one on here who doesnt like London and prefers Boston to New York. And says Raleigh is awesome. So maybe im not going to have a view that aligns with most people on CD lol

Old 07-22-2021, 07:27 PM

23,571 posts, read 18,678,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by masssachoicetts View Post
Im personally not a fan.

But again im the one on here who doesnt like London and prefers Boston to New York. And says Raleigh is awesome. So maybe im not going to have a view that aligns with most people on CD lol
I was right there with you until you said "I don't get it". I prefer Boston to New York as well, but totally understand why some may prefer NYC (or Raleigh to Atlanta or wherever). Annapolis vs. Newport same thing.

Last edited by massnative71; 07-22-2021 at 07:40 PM..

Old 07-22-2021, 08:57 PM

16,553 posts, read 10,614,216 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by macalan View Post
Thank you. You made some very good points. One of which is we like new adventures. We have lived most of our life in New England, and it's always fun to experience different things.

Additionally, weather is HUGE to be when it comes to COL, so less snow is preferable. Fall risk becomes very real (and dangerous) as one ages, as does realizing we won't likely want to be shoveling/snowblowing in our 80s, or hire someone to do it.

Is there any public transit from Annapolis to DC?
Annapolis averages about 8 inches of snow per year. This is 10 inches less than Baltimore, despite their relative proximity. Being close to the Chesapeake Bay makes a huge difference.

There are commuter buses that run between Annapolis and Washington. They're geared for the office workers, meaning they'll take you to DC on weekday mornings and bring you back to Annapolis on weekday afternoons. If you feel like spending a weekday checking out the museums, they're a great option. Otherwise, you get to drive to New Carrollton and take the Metro from there (not advisable at night), or else drive the whole way in.

Old 07-23-2021, 02:58 AM

24,557 posts, read 18,239,810 times
Quote:
In what regard?
Nobody goes there anymore. It’s too crowded.

Old 07-24-2021, 05:39 PM

1,122 posts, read 923,841 times
Newport is iconic.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pqOvAsQq3Aw

Old 07-24-2021, 08:44 PM

2,825 posts, read 6,890,586 times
There are no beaches in Annapolis.

Its a port city and a navy town only.

The closest beach is Sandy Point. It has Orange Construction sand and its a bay beach not a salt water ocean beach with waves. Sandy Point is very popular with blue collar immigrants, you will see people swimming in collared shirts and shorts, in burka and you will hear all sorts of languages and see all sorts of cultures. These people are from the Other Annapolis (which most def has its crime see [URL="https://www.capitalgazette.com/news/crime/ac-cn-shooting-graduate-hotel-west-stree-20210629-56oc2ttcfzfatjvq3u3kbrybse-story.html"]https://www.capitalgazette.com/news/crime/ac-cn-shooting-graduate-hotel-west-stree-20210629-56oc2ttcfzfatjvq3u3kbrybse-story.html[/URL]) not the white preppy residents of Historic Annapolis who beach in Rehoboth or Lewes on the ocean.

Annapolis is around an hour from DC proper due to the top 3 worst traffic in the Nation.

The Bay Bridge has many wind warnings and back ups. Summer #FridayGetaway has 5 mile back ups of the Bay Bridge if you want to hit the actual beaches from Annapolis.

As I told you before, Bristol is your type town
[url]https://explorebristolri.com/[/url]
[url]https://www.city-data.com/city/Bristol-Rhode-Island.html[/url]

Old 07-26-2021, 10:13 PM

6,725 posts, read 6,718,975 times
I know both cities well and much prefer Newport. Annapolis beats on climate, but that's it. Baltimore offers very little, DC is great, but you're not much closer to beaches in Annapolis than you are in DC. It has a couple charming blocks, the rest feels a little backwards and redneck. You need to remember the wealthy, educated parts of DC are on the west side of town, the areas in Anne Arundel and Calvert Counties around Annapolis can feel very country and backwards.

Annapolis is also not Charleston, SC, there will be snow and ice. Moreover, they're not great at handling it. You can get six inch snowstorms with overnight refreezes and little plowing or sanding. And as others pointed out, there are no real beaches nearby, just Bayside patches of sand with no waves. I also think New England beaches are far more interesting than the bland and built up Delaware and Maryland Atlantic coastline.

I hate the cold and would rather be in Santa Barbara or North County San Diego than either place. But if I had to pick between the two Newport easily.

Last edited by TheseGoTo11; 07-26-2021 at 10:22 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City