Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Annapolis, MD vs Newport, RI
Annapolis, MD 11 36.67%
Newport, RI 19 63.33%
Voters: 30. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-22-2021, 09:04 AM

2,630 posts, read 4,035,754 times

Advertisements

In our never ending search for a small community near a big city with less snow than MA, we keep coming back to coastal communities like where we left (Newburyport, MA)

On the surface these two seem very similar - smallish coastal communities with Newport being the smaller of the two. Both known for sailing.

Annapolis has the edge with distance to DC at only 34 miles, with Newport being 71 miles from Boston. Annapolis,

I would imagine also has the edge on weather. We don't mind hot and humid, it's the winter that's the issue.

The one area where it seems Newport is way better is crime. By quite a wide margin. I don't know if the crime in Annapolis is spread throughout the city, or if it's in pockets and easy to avoid.

COL - taking into account median housing prices and taxes Annapolis is a bit less expensive than Newport.

Not sure on the other things...

For us - no kids, will eventually have another dog which is why safety is important as one of us often walks the dog late at night alone.

Where would you rather live and why?

-Vibe/Energy
-Retail Mix/Amenities
-Nightlife/Entertainment
-Education
-Economic Outlook
-Cultural Attractions
-QOL
-COL
-Safety
-Weather
-Health Care
-Friendliness
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-22-2021, 09:51 AM

12,244 posts, read 8,172,621 times
Vibe/Energy
-Retail Mix/Amenities Newport
-Nightlife/Entertainment Newport
-Education Newport
-Economic Outlook Newport
-Cultural Attractions Newport
-QOL Newport
-COL. Annapolis
-Safety. Newport
-Weather. Annapolis
-Health Care Both. Close to Baltimore and Boston.
-Friendliness ?

Overall. Newport easily. But its quite expensive

Old 07-22-2021, 09:54 AM

21,818 posts, read 13,009,750 times
The frame of reference for Newport really should be Providence, that's its MSA and its a pretty large MSA at 1.6M . It's 33.6 miles from Providence.

Ive only briefly been to both, and more so in Newport. Overall both are lovely places. Ill sit back and watch the thread.

Old 07-22-2021, 10:12 AM

16,601 posts, read 10,756,424 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by macalan View Post
I don't know if the crime in Annapolis is spread throughout the city, or if it's in pockets and easy to avoid.
Most crime in Annapolis is focused in their public housing projects. Most of these projects are strung out in a row just to the south of Forest Drive. Take a trip down Forest Drive itself and you'd never know they were there. They're set off on dead-end streets, and you'd never have any reason to be entering any of them unless you were specifically intending to do so. (Or if you were taking a ride on the Brown Route bus line, which does enter them.)

Avoid these places, and the couple of other ones (one on President Street, one on Clay Street, I believe) and your odds of becoming a crime victim in Annapolis plummet.

Old 07-22-2021, 10:14 AM

32 posts, read 39,281 times
Newport because Rhode Island is a much better state to raise a family. Lots of family guys there.

Old 07-22-2021, 10:32 AM

12,244 posts, read 8,172,621 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeBravo View Post
Newport because Rhode Island is a much better state to raise a family. Lots of family guys there.
Yeah i know a family In Quahog

Old 07-22-2021, 10:38 AM

13,837 posts, read 8,104,414 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by masssachoicetts View Post
Yeah i know a family In Quahog
The Pewterschmidt's live in Newport if I'm not mistaken...

OP should look at Bristol. It's cheaper than Newport and not as snooty.

Old 07-22-2021, 10:40 AM

21,818 posts, read 13,009,750 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bus man View Post
Most crime in Annapolis is focused in their public housing projects. Most of these projects are strung out in a row just to the south of Forest Drive. Take a trip down Forest Drive itself and you'd never know they were there. They're set off on dead-end streets, and you'd never have any reason to be entering any of them unless you were specifically intending to do so. (Or if you were taking a ride on the Brown Route bus line, which does enter them.)

Avoid these places, and the couple of other ones (one on President Street, one on Clay Street, I believe) and your odds of becoming a crime victim in Annapolis plummet.
there are housing projects in Newport, relatively crime-free. Poverty is worse in Newport as are median incomes. Just a safer place. But I doubt Annapolis is dangerous. downtown was lovely, but its a bit larger and has more mundane parts than Newport does.

Old 07-22-2021, 10:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonBornMassMade View Post
The frame of reference for Newport really should be Providence, that's its MSA and its a pretty large MSA at 1.6M . It's 33.6 miles from Providence.

Ive only briefly been to both, and more so in Newport. Overall both are lovely places. Ill sit back and watch the thread.
Yeah, I get that about PVD, but from a quality of life standpoint, I'm trying to compare distance to and access to a big city for amenities - an International airport, nationally recognized health care, etc. vs which is the biggest city in the MSA.

Old 07-22-2021, 10:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonBornMassMade View Post
there are housing projects in Newport, relatively crime-free. Poverty is worse in Newport as are median incomes. Just a safer place. But I doubt Annapolis is dangerous. downtown was lovely, but its a bit larger and has more mundane parts than Newport does.
Thanks for that info. The burglaries and robberies are extremely high (as well as the murders). I wouldn't imagine those are happening in the projects but are happening out in the community?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City