Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What city would you prefer to live in and/or visit?
Providence 43 50.00%
Milwaukee 43 50.00%
Voters: 86. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-16-2021, 12:03 AM

17,680 posts, read 9,168,053 times

Advertisements

Right near Portland Street.

Hayward Street & Somerset Street in 2017:

https://goo.gl/maps/SEztNmHrqq3oNHUm9
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-16-2021, 01:49 PM

509 posts, read 432,859 times
I was just in Milwaukee back in May and had an amazing time exploring the city. Lots of great breweries and dive bars. Nice walkable neighborhoods like Bay View, Westown, Riverwest, and the Lower East Side. Loved the Riverwalk and lakefront trail network. Definitely did plenty of walking averaging about 11 miles a day while there. It is an underrated city for sure and not well represented on CD, but has a huge following on Skyscrapercity if anyone is interested in checking out local Milwaukee projects and discussion threads (https://www.skyscrapercity.com/forums/milwaukee.4012/)

If anyone is looking for an awesome photographer who does a great job getting photos all around Milwaukee, I recommend you check out John December's photostream: https://www.flickr.com/photos/johndecember

Here are my photos, though I was only there a couple of nights so couldn't really see everything I wanted to, but defintely plan to return: https://flic.kr/s/aHsmVTCWJE

I have not been to Providence, only through while taking the NE Regional up to Boston from Virginia where I live. However, Providence is really the only remaining major city along the NE Regional I have not been to and would love to take the new Avelia Liberty there once it starts operation. Maybe next Summer...

Old 09-16-2021, 08:23 PM

6,613 posts, read 16,576,265 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dbcook1 View Post
I was just in Milwaukee back in May and had an amazing time exploring the city. Lots of great breweries and dive bars. Nice walkable neighborhoods like Bay View, Westown, Riverwest, and the Lower East Side. Loved the Riverwalk and lakefront trail network. Definitely did plenty of walking averaging about 11 miles a day while there. It is an underrated city for sure and not well represented on CD, but has a huge following on Skyscrapercity if anyone is interested in checking out local Milwaukee projects and discussion threads (https://www.skyscrapercity.com/forums/milwaukee.4012/)

If anyone is looking for an awesome photographer who does a great job getting photos all around Milwaukee, I recommend you check out John December's photostream: https://www.flickr.com/photos/johndecember

Here are my photos, though I was only there a couple of nights so couldn't really see everything I wanted to, but defintely plan to return: https://flic.kr/s/aHsmVTCWJE

I have not been to Providence, only through while taking the NE Regional up to Boston from Virginia where I live. However, Providence is really the only remaining major city along the NE Regional I have not been to and would love to take the new Avelia Liberty there once it starts operation. Maybe next Summer...
Lived in Milwaukee a few decades ago. Great to see how well the east Side has held up, even Brady St., the old 60s hippy enclave! Your photos were stunning, made me want to go back there again. You are right, MKE is truly an underrated urban space!

Old 09-16-2021, 08:41 PM

21,628 posts, read 12,733,519 times
I’ll make sure to visit Milwaukee. One is so many more lowkey cities I feel is probably underrated a la Cincinnati Louisville Pittsburg. Pictures made it look fun.

Old 09-23-2021, 10:31 AM

201 posts, read 219,733 times
Urbanity: Pretty equal, and both are strong for the singles scene
Public Transportation: Providence from what I've heard about Milwaukee's public transit
Education: Don't know much about Milwaukee's education, would pick Providence between the two if I was going to college
Shopping: Milwaukee from my experience
Suburbs: Not terribly familiar with suburbs of either city
Crime: Providence
Museums/Attractions: Went to a museum in Milwaukee, I'll go with Cream City for this one
Downtown: Providence's downtown was more impressive from what I remember
Neighborhoods: Providence because of Federal Hill and Fox Point
Diversity: Providence
Parks: Providence because of the Waterplace Park
Future outlook: ?

Plus any other factors that you find important...Boston > Chicago. Weather-wise, I think Providence's winters might actually be slightly tamer than Milwaukee's, and it's clearly a stronger city for avid fall lovers like myself.

Old 04-03-2022, 02:51 PM

23,571 posts, read 18,678,020 times
Three months into 2022, surprisingly there's only 3 homicides in Providence, RI

Old 04-03-2022, 03:44 PM

23,571 posts, read 18,678,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by massnative71 View Post
Three months into 2022, surprisingly there's only 3 homicides in Providence, RI

The most recent homicide in Providence involved a woman who was shot in the head and then placed in a refrigerator for 6 days before the police discovered her. Disturbing stuff.

For anyone interested, we have in-depth discussions about all of the shootings and stabbings in Providence.

https://www.city-data.com/forum/rhod...bbing-204.html

Old 04-03-2022, 04:28 PM

6,806 posts, read 6,031,870 times
I thought when you take Pawtucket, Central Falls, Cranston, North Providence, etc. into account that they’re about the same size? New England cities are just configured differently than Southern/Western ones.

And Providence is far more overshadowed by Boston than Milwaukee is by Chicago.

Old 04-03-2022, 05:20 PM

21,628 posts, read 12,733,519 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boston Shudra View Post
I thought when you take Pawtucket, Central Falls, Cranston, North Providence, etc. into account that they’re about the same size? New England cities are just configured differently than Southern/Western ones.

And Providence is far more overshadowed by Boston than Milwaukee is by Chicago.
But Milwaukee is neither Southern nor Western, its strictly Northern. With the same city/suburb divide you see in the Northeast. and when you add the cities you mentioned it's still much smaller than Milwaukee, in Population and land area.

Old 04-03-2022, 05:26 PM

6,806 posts, read 6,031,870 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonBornMassMade View Post
But Milwaukee is neither Southern nor Western, its strictly Northern. With the same city/suburb divide you see in the Northeast. and when you add the cities you mentioned it's still much smaller than Milwaukee, in Population and land area.
It’s “mid”western. And Milwaukee is 96 square miles compared to Providence’s 18. I don’t think it’s exactly the same city/suburb divide..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City