Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What city would you prefer to live in and/or visit?
Providence 43 50.00%
Milwaukee 43 50.00%
Voters: 86. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-14-2021, 08:18 AM

23,571 posts, read 18,678,020 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Space_League View Post
I was just trying to pick average looking neighborhoods, not necessarily the best looking or most desirable neighborhoods but not the worst. The majority of providence really does look like that West End street more or less.
Althea St. is in one of the worst areas of Providence.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-14-2021, 08:31 AM

2,364 posts, read 1,851,841 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boston Shudra View Post
Literally more than half of those are from the same general South Providence area that Space League showed. The one on Pemberton does show an area that's more lush than the others.

How about these:

https://www.google.com/maps/@41.8347...7i16384!8i8192

https://www.google.com/maps/@41.8552...7i16384!8i8192

https://www.google.com/maps/@41.8089...7i16384!8i8192

https://www.google.com/maps/@41.8443...7i16384!8i8192

first three of those pics don't strike me as different from the one i posted. Obviously the last one is a different vernacular but the first three are just less dense streets that could be two block away from the one i posted and they would fit in visually.

if i was trying to be unfair to prov I could post a pic like this

https://goo.gl/maps/cdJsBfygMQRjKLo16

Thing is Milwaukee has abandoned areas aswell and significantly higher crime than Providence. Crime is definitely a point for Providence in this matchup. Both cities have blighted areas which I tried to avoid posting since most people here would avoid those areas to begin with. Providence does have a general grubby/worndown look throughout that seems to be lacking in Milwaukee but the most rundown sections of Milwaukee are probably still worse and has larger continuous sections of abandonment. Both of those are likely due to the difference in structural density overall in the cities

Old 09-14-2021, 08:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by massnative71 View Post
Althea St. is in one of the worst areas of Providence.
Is it really? I thought of the West End as sort of middle of the road neighborhood with some reasonable amount of investment? I could think of at least 5 neighborhoods I thought of as "worse areas" Hartford, South Providence, Valley, Charles,Washington Park Olneyville

i would have put West End somewhere equivalent to Silver Lake or even parts of Federal Hill . Not exactly an expert on Providence either

Old 09-14-2021, 08:39 AM

21,628 posts, read 12,733,519 times
Quote:
first three of those pics don't strike me as different from the one i posted. Obviously the last one is a different vernacular but the first three are just less dense streets that could be two block away from the one i posted and they would fit in visually.

Thing is Milwaukee has abandoned areas aswell and significantly higher crime than Providence. Crime is definitely a point for Providence in this matchup. Both cities have blighted areas which I tried to avoid posting since most people here would avoid those areas to begin with. Providence does have a general grubby/worndown look throughout that seems to be lacking in Milwaukee but the most rundown sections of Milwaukee are probably still worse and has larger continuous sections of abandonment. Both of those are likely due to the difference in structural density overall in the cities
the general assessment I would agree with. Providence has nicer areas for sure but it's probably 35-40% of the city. And they're not usually all that engaging as they're often on the northern outskirts (also not places people visit). To be honest many of these places in Prov look better on Streetview than in real life.

Althea Street is probably a little below average though- the more I think about it.

Old 09-14-2021, 08:42 AM

21,628 posts, read 12,733,519 times
Quote:
Is it really? I thought of the West End as sort of middle of the road neighborhood with some reasonable amount of investment? I could think of at least 5 neighborhoods I thought of as "worse areas" Hartford, South Providence, Valley, Charles,Washington Park Olneyville

i would have put West End somewhere equivalent to Silver Lake or even parts of Federal Hill . Not exactly an expert on Providence either
Naw thats the 'West Side' of Providence (think Elmhurst), not the West End per se.

Hartford is certainly a better neighborhood. South Providence Olneyville Washington Park are West Ends peers. Valley is probably better than West End, slightly. Idk about Silver Lake but its not at all like Federal Hill.

Old 09-14-2021, 08:43 AM

6,806 posts, read 6,031,870 times
Quote:

That's just 1mi away from your first link. My point is that if you were trying to find a "lightly gentrified" neighborhood in PVD, then you didn't exactly hit the nail on your head with that first post.

Old 09-14-2021, 08:56 AM

37,127 posts, read 39,357,090 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffD View Post
The cities aren't the same size. Milwaukee is almost 600k. Providence less than 200k. Providence is majority white. Milwaukee isn't. Providence doesn't have much African-American population. The new immigrants are largely Hispanic.

I haven't been in Milwaukee enough to compare rationally head-to-head. If I worked at one of the hospitals and wanted to live urban, Providence near College Hill would be fine.

Providence is 18 square miles of land versus Milwaukee's 96 square miles of land. I think if you took Cranston, East Providence, North Providence, Pawtucket, North Providence, Johnston, Central Falls, Valley Falls, Barrington and Warwick as a contiguous area, you'd get fairly similar land area and population.

Last edited by OyCrumbler; 09-14-2021 at 09:09 AM..

Old 09-14-2021, 09:05 AM
sub

4,963 posts, read 3,751,401 times
Milwaukee has crime and bad neighborhoods, but it has little actual abandonment. Even the worst neighborhoods don't look too bad on the surface, street view or not. It's one of the things that's always impressed me about the city.

Old 09-14-2021, 09:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boston Shudra View Post
That's just 1mi away from your first link. My point is that if you were trying to find a "lightly gentrified" neighborhood in PVD, then you didn't exactly hit the nail on your head with that first post.
Well it looks like both neighborhoods have similar median household incomes in the 40s. Both are spitting distance from legit impoverished tracts (10k median household income tracts) but also abutted by higher income tracts (60-80k tracts). Milwaukee has a lot worse neighborhoods than that however, and maybe more than Providence does.

could sub in a pic like this for Providene Neighborhood to be completely fair since it's a bit leafier and better maintained but still shows the characteristic look and feel of the city:

https://goo.gl/maps/ecdTEMKVreYoEGNf6

Old 09-14-2021, 09:28 AM

23,571 posts, read 18,678,020 times
Quote:
Well it looks like both neighborhoods have similar median household incomes in the 40s. Both are spitting distance from legit impoverished tracts (10k median household income tracts) but also abutted by higher income tracts (60-80k tracts). Milwaukee has a lot worse neighborhoods than that however, and maybe more than Providence does.

could sub in a pic like this for Providene Neighborhood to be completely fair since it's a bit leafier and better maintained but still shows the characteristic look and feel of the city:

https://goo.gl/maps/ecdTEMKVreYoEGNf6
That's also ghetto.

I think you're looking for something like this:

https://www.google.com/maps/@41.8327...7i16384!8i8192
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City