Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-14-2022, 10:43 AM

2,750 posts, read 2,417,120 times

Advertisements

South African immigration to the US isn't very high right? Are there any places in the US where they concentrate?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Clutch View Post
That's really interesting. I wonder where they project all of these new white immigrants will come from? Southern Africa? Eastern Europe?
Eastern and Southeastern European immigration to the US has always been significant but I would definitely expect a big increase in Russian and Ukrainian immigration.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-14-2022, 01:12 PM

8,323 posts, read 5,484,706 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 908Boi View Post

Eastern and Southeastern European immigration to the US has always been significant but I would definitely expect a big increase in Russian and Ukrainian immigration.
I saw a breakdown of Ukrainian Immigrant/Refugee breakdowns by state. Washington, by far, is getting the most. Even California, Illinois, and NY werent getting close. Texas and Florida are getting almost none. Id imagine because of the decent sized Ukrainian community in the Seattle area its a pull.

Old 06-14-2022, 01:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by atadytic19 View Post
Wow. You really see the scope of NY when the lower limit is set to 20k, but I do understand and agree with your reasoning behind the prior list.

LA and Chicago also shows more depth in this list but they are still underwhelming for their size.

On this expanded list Miami adds only ONE non America's country.

This variation of the list showed what I was expecting for the comparison between DFW and Atlanta. The last 20 years has shown a huge growth in foreign born population for both metros with DFW having an edge.

MSP maintained is fair weather grouping.

I'm surprised Mexico didn't make the list for Boston and especially Orlando.

Looks like Austin is missing two countries
I think we can rank Urban Areas into groups:
1) Immigrant Super Hubs - places that draw large numbers and from large numbers of countries. Immigrant population must be over 1,000,000 and must have at least 10 countries over 20,000 and over 0.5% of the total population.
2) Huge Number of Immigrants, Low Number of Countries - places that get large number of immigrants but the number of places they come from is low in proportion. Immigrant population must be over 1,000,000 for this group.
3) High Number of Immigrants/Proportional Number of Countries - places that receive a number of immigrants in similar proportion to the number of countries. Immigrant population between 500,000 and 1,000,000 and must have at least 5 immigrant groups over 20,000 and 5 over 0.5%.
4) Midlevel Immigrant Population/Low number of countries - places that have a healthy sized immigrant population but draw from fewer places. Immigrant population must be at least 500,000.
5) Lower Number of Immigrants, High Number of Countries - places that get a relatively lower number of immigrants but the places they come from is high in proportion. These have immigrant populations between 200,000-500,000 and must have at least 5 countries that have 0.5% of the urban area population.
6) Lower Number of Immigrants, Low Number of Countries - These have a smaller number of immigrants and don't pull from as many countries. Some like Austin, Charlotte, Tampa, and Riverside will probably join one of higher tiers in the upcoming years. Others like San Antonio and Denver will probably continue to occupy this space.

Here is how I rank them:

Immigrant Super Hubs
New York City
Los Angeles
Miami/Fort Lauderdale
Washington DC
Houston
San Francisco

Huge Number of Immigrants, Low Number of Countries
Chicago
DFW

High Number of Immigrants, Proportional Number of Countries
Boston
San Jose
Atlanta
Seattle/Tacoma
San Diego

Midsized Immigrant Community/Low Number of Countries
Philadelphia
Phoenix

Lower Number of Immigrants, High Number of Countries
Las Vegas
Orlando
Sacramento
Minneapolis/St. Paul
Detroit
Tampa

Lower Number of Immigrants/Lower Number of Countries
Riverside/San Bernardino
Denver
Portland, OR
San Antonio
Baltimore
Austin
Charlotte

Old 06-14-2022, 03:04 PM

1,982 posts, read 2,088,135 times
Perhaps part of it is using urban areas. Would the data or numbers of countries change if urban agglomerations are used?

Old 06-14-2022, 03:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soonhun View Post
Perhaps part of it is using urban areas. Would the data or numbers of countries change if urban agglomerations are used?
I have listed the immigrant groups by metro area in previous pages. The agglomeration numbers would closely match that.

Old 06-14-2022, 10:42 PM

6,470 posts, read 4,068,399 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Coe View Post

U.S. immigrant population projected to rise, even as share falls among Hispanics, Asians:

"Today, 66.0% of U.S. Asians are immigrants, but that share is predicted to fall to 55.4% by 2060. And while about a third of U.S. Hispanics (34.9%) are now foreign-born, the Census Bureau projects that this share too will fall, to 27.4% in 2060."

"Meanwhile, foreign-born shares among whites and blacks are expected to rise. Today, 8.9% of those who identify as black were born in another country, but that number is projected to almost double – to 16.5% – by 2060. Among whites, 4.1% are foreign-born today, but that share is projected to double to 8.1% in 2060"

https://www.pewresearch.org/fact-tan...panics-asians/
I also think you have to factor in native white and black population decline. It's not necessarily the white immigrant population increasing rapidly or the black immigrant population increasing either, rapidly but more so a stable increase in the immigrant populations of both. If we were getting 100,000 white immigrants and 100,000 black immigrants a year (which is probably fairly close to the real numbers) and these numbers barely fluctuate between 100,000-200,000 for the next 40 years, that will matter a lot more in 40 years time when the native population of whites is declining at 250,000 a year and blacks at 50,000 a year.

Old 06-15-2022, 09:10 AM

6,806 posts, read 6,031,870 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by As Above So Below... View Post
Ok so now for immigrant group concentration by Urban Area. All immigrant groups that comprise .5% of the Urban Area population are listed. This was actually eye opening when compared against the Metro Areas. We can see which ethnic groups are more urban and which are more suburban when we compare the two. All over 200,000 foreign born listed.

Total Immigrant Population by Urban Area
Boston: 908,098

Boston - 9 Countries
China: 88,425
Dominican Republic: 80,435
India: 62,268
Brazil: 57,480
Haiti: 54,810
El Salvador: 37,888
Vietnam: 29,190
Cabo Verde: 25,280
Guatemala: 23,404
For giggles, I went and looked at how much this would change if you combined the urban areas of Boston, Manchester, Nashua, Providence, and Worcester. Answer is: not a ton honestly.

Boston & Neighbors - 9 Countries
Total population: 1,199,820
China: 116,746
Dominican Republic: 116,044
India: 85,432
Brazil: 69,302
Haiti: 60,304
El Salvador: 42,889
Guatemala: 39,020
Vietnam: 36,661
Cabo Verde: 33,460

It boost the area to the "Huge Number of Immigrants, Low Number of Countries" club per the OP's definition, with just 0.06% from Colombia (at 0.44% of the total pop) keeping it from joining "Immigrant Super Hubs".

Old 06-15-2022, 09:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boston Shudra View Post
For giggles, I went and looked at how much this would change if you combined the urban areas of Boston, Manchester, Nashua, Providence, and Worcester. Answer is: not a ton honestly.

Boston & Neighbors - 9 Countries
Total population: 1,199,820
China: 116,746
Dominican Republic: 116,044
India: 85,432
Brazil: 69,302
Haiti: 60,304
El Salvador: 42,889
Guatemala: 39,020
Vietnam: 36,661
Cabo Verde: 33,460

It boost the area to the "Huge Number of Immigrants, Low Number of Countries" club per the OP's definition, with just 0.06% from Colombia (at 0.44% of the total pop) keeping it from joining "Immigrant Super Hubs".
Boston is a tough one. Its sort of between the two groups. It almost has the opposite problem as DFW and Chicago: it pulls from a lot of places but it doesn't pull hard enough from any one country to really boost its numbers. But its not like a Minneapolis, Detroit, or Orlando because it does get a pretty high critical mass overall.

I think what really boosts the places I placed in the "Immigrant Super Hubs" group is not only that they pull from a lot of places, but they have two or more countries that immigrate to them in very large mass. Boston certainly has the former but not enough of the later.

Old 06-15-2022, 10:40 AM

4,031 posts, read 4,460,656 times
Quote:
I saw a breakdown of Ukrainian Immigrant/Refugee breakdowns by state. Washington, by far, is getting the most. Even California, Illinois, and NY werent getting close. Texas and Florida are getting almost none. Id imagine because of the decent sized Ukrainian community in the Seattle area its a pull.

"Refugees that arrived from Ukraine since October
California: 159

National: 809
Top states
#1. Washington: 243
#2. California: 159
#3. Pennsylvania: 50
#4. Missouri: 42
#5. Ohio: 38 "

https://fox5sandiego.com/news/califo...arriving-from/

Old 06-15-2022, 10:42 AM

4,031 posts, read 4,460,656 times
Quote:

Lower Number of Immigrants, High Number of Countries
Las Vegas
Orlando
Sacramento
Minneapolis/St. Paul
Detroit
Tampa

Small numbers but very diverse? I had no idea how diverse Las Vegas' immigrants were. My impression was that it was primarily Mexican and Filipino. Vegas is now the Cuban hub for the Western US.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City