Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-07-2022, 11:05 AM

2,750 posts, read 2,416,543 times

Advertisements

The only groups that show for DC are Salvadorans and Ethiopians. These are the obvious two largest immigrant groups in DC so that makes sense. The only true immigrant enclaves in DC are traditionally Mt. Pleasant/Columbia Heights (Salvardorans) and 9th Street/Shaw (Ethiopians). I believe Brightwood and other upper NW neighborhoods now have the most immigrants in DC.

Columbus OH is surprising to me, I knew it attracted a diverse set of immigrant groups but not that much.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-07-2022, 11:19 AM

9,777 posts, read 15,783,646 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 908Boi View Post
The only groups that show for DC are Salvadorans and Ethiopians. These are the obvious two largest immigrant groups in DC so that makes sense. The only true immigrant enclaves in DC are traditionally Mt. Pleasant/Columbia Heights (Salvardorans) and 9th Street/Shaw (Ethiopians). I believe Brightwood and other upper NW neighborhoods now have the most immigrants in DC.

Columbus OH is surprising to me, I knew it attracted a diverse set of immigrant groups but not that much.
The Korean-born immigrants are mostly in Fairfax County, VA (30K) and Montgomery County, MD (12K). Same with Indian-born immigrants: Fairfax (33K), Montgomery (25K), and Loudoun County, VA (18K). A great number of Salvadorans in the suburbs, too. Some interesting info. on this George Mason University site:

https://iir.gmu.edu/immigrant-storie...%20individuals.

Old 06-07-2022, 11:46 AM

6,806 posts, read 6,029,753 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by As Above So Below... View Post
Here are is born in Southeast Asia. All over 5,000 listed.

Born in Vietnam
San Jose: 84,341
Houston: 34,288
San Diego: 27,632
Los Angeles: 19,409
San Francisco: 16,067
New York City: 13,311
Philadelphia: 11,608
Portland: 11,467
Seattle: 10,535
Boston: 8,696
Chicago: 8,467
Oklahoma City: 7,889
Fort Worth: 7,133
Sacramento: 6,793
Dallas: 5,911
Austin: 5,849
Charlotte: 5,270
Denver: 5,068
Good data to support Boston having a very large Viet concentration in the city proper especially compared to other eastern cities. All you have to do is factor in Quincy and Randolph to leapfrog all of NYC in this metric.

Quote:
Born in Cambodia
Philadelphia: 5,623
Lowell, MA has 7,165 born in Cambodia!

Quote:
Here is Africa. All over 5,000 listed.

Born in Ghana
New York City: 26,116
Columbus: 6,078
Worcester, MA has 5,022 born in Ghana!

Old 06-07-2022, 01:57 PM

8,323 posts, read 5,481,561 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by michgc View Post
The Korean-born immigrants are mostly in Fairfax County, VA (30K) and Montgomery County, MD (12K). Same with Indian-born immigrants: Fairfax (33K), Montgomery (25K), and Loudoun County, VA (18K). A great number of Salvadorans in the suburbs, too. Some interesting info. on this George Mason University site:

https://iir.gmu.edu/immigrant-storie...%20individuals.
And this is why I I'm so adamant that this data is not useful and is incomplete.

DC is objectively (not subjectively, but objectively) the 2nd most ethnically diverse in the US. Its more ethnically diverse than LA, the Bay Area, or Houston. Yet, if we looked at this data by itself it would seem DC is a laggard in diversity and its the exact opposite. The only thing one could say is that the diversity is suburban as opposed to urban.

This data by itself will make cities that have large boundaries or whose diversity is mostly urban seem to trump those that are the opposite when in truth, from the perspective of diversity, it makes no difference.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boston Shudra View Post
Good data to support Boston having a very large Viet concentration in the city proper especially compared to other eastern cities. All you have to do is factor in Quincy and Randolph to leapfrog all of NYC in this metric.

Lowell, MA has 7,165 born in Cambodia!

Worcester, MA has 5,022 born in Ghana!
I know Boston is often undersold on its ethnic diversity and I understand the defensiveness. I think a big part of it is that Boston is super ethnically diverse but not really racially diverse. But having diversity in a specific city or suburb doesnt make the region any more or less diverse. Irving and Plano have more Indians than Chicago. Seattle has more Ethiopians than DC. Indianapolis has the most Burmese in the US. City proper data just isnt a good way to measure this stuff.

Old 06-07-2022, 04:29 PM

6,806 posts, read 6,029,753 times
Quote:
But having diversity in a specific city or suburb doesnt make the region any more or less diverse. Irving and Plano have more Indians than Chicago. Seattle has more Ethiopians than DC. Indianapolis has the most Burmese in the US.
I dunno. I find tidbits like these very interesting!

Old 06-08-2022, 06:34 AM

8,323 posts, read 5,481,561 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boston Shudra View Post
I dunno. I find tidbits like these very interesting!
Fair enough.

Old 06-08-2022, 10:57 AM

4,031 posts, read 4,460,656 times
Quote:
Looking again at the places with an increase of immigration in the last decade:

Boston: 52,334
San Jose: 30,689
Detroit: 28,309
Seattle/Tacoma: 26,289
Orlando: 25,744
Houston: 17,334
Tampa: 6,053
Miami/Fort Lauderdale: 2,794

This says a couple of things to me:

1) Tech companies obviously brought in a lot of people last decade as evidence by Boston, San Jose, and Seattle's increases.
2) In Houston and Miami's case, both are huge magnets for Central Americans (Houston moreso) and Northern South Americans (Miami much more so). I would imagine this has something to do with it.
3) Central Florida is becoming a very popular place to relocate. Its cheap, warm all year round, and has many established international communities. Id assume that explains a lot about Tampa and Orlando.

Do you have an estimate what the trends will be for the 2020s?

Old 06-08-2022, 12:06 PM

3,217 posts, read 2,353,650 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ParaguaneroSwag View Post
To your question on why is Houston, Dallas, etc easily more diverse than Miami, I explained this as well as others have apparently. So if you’re still not understanding, you either need to understand what the term diversity means or you’re intentionally convincing yourself in support for Miami. Hey, I love Miami too. It’s tied with Houston for my two favorite cities and there’s many things Miami leads Houston in as well as Chicago and Dallas. But all 3 of these cities are far more diverse than Miami is.

But you also asked where Houston’s large enclaves are so I’ll answer your question.

1. Chinatown. By landmass it’s one of the largest Chinatowns in the United States unlike Miami which has no major Chinatown. In fact, Houston’s third largest “Chinatown” (which I don’t consider to be a major Chinatown) is larger than any such thing in South Florida.

2. Viet Town - Again, one of the largest Viet towns in USA. Only San Jose and Orange County’s can compare. As a matter of a fact, a trending cuisine known as Viet Cajun was popularized here.

3. Little India. Again, one of the larger Indian business enclaves in USA. Nothing in Miami to compare.

4. South Fondren/Gulfton is one of the stronger Central American enclaves in USA. They even have individual enclaves within Gulfton specifically for El Salvador, Guatemala, and Honduras.

5. Denver Harbour’s Mexican American enclave

6. Portions of Bissonette are establishing strong Nigerian enclaves.

Houston also has a sizable Koreatown, a Filipinotown is forming. There’s also portions south of the TMC where Arabics are forming their own enclave.

Miami’s Cuban, Venezuelan and Haitian enclaves are far larger than the ones in Houston and much more culturally integrated where it’s not close. But you’re comparing a selection of enclaves that all come from the America’s versus Houston who’s enclaves are not only larger but hail from nationalities all across the globe.

And you only asked about Houston. Chicago has a very strong enclave scenario. While Dallas is more diverse than Miami, it doesn’t have the strong enclaves that Houston and Chicago so if this is important to you, there you go. But Dallas is still more diverse than Miami.

Good comparison but being a native Houstonian now living in DFW, there are several strong ethnic enclaves:
East Asian - Richardson, West Carrollton, Haltom City, Garland and Central Arlington
Indian - Irving
Latin - Irving and West Dallas

Old 06-08-2022, 12:10 PM

3,217 posts, read 2,353,650 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by popka View Post
You're kidding right? Those places are tiny. Miami's Little Havana alone has over 80,000 people and probably more people than all those places combined. Have any population numbers for those enclaves? I know Houston's largest Chinatown has only 29,000 people. Do you really want to compare the amount and sizes of the Miami and Houston metro's ethnic enclaves? That's a comparison that Houston will laughably lose.

The Miami metro has entire cities that are pretty much enclaves. They are much denser and more urban too. Houston has absolutely nothing like that at all. The Houston area being so integrated is both a blessing and a curse.. It really dilutes the culture a lot. Houstons large land area is another reason why it's incondusive to producing large ethnic enclaves like the Miami metro.

There are a bunch of cities around the Miami metro that certain ethnicities gravitate to, a lot of times just based on name alone. Name one large city in the Houston metro that is known as being almost like a huge ethnic enclave for a certain ethnicity. They just don't exist in the Houston metro. Well not like they do in the Miami metro anyways.
I've been to Miami several times. Sorry but ITS not as diverse as Houston. It skews HEAVILY Hispanic. Hell, little Havana is basically old Miami that has widened to the whole region. Houston definitely has a larger Asian, African and Middle Eastern contingencies.

Old 06-08-2022, 12:25 PM

4,031 posts, read 4,460,656 times
Quote:
Couple of thoughts I have on the numbers thus far.

1) It seems like the focus of Central American immigration is now coming from Honduras as opposed to El Salvador. This would explain why Houston and Charlotte's numbers shot up and LA's and DC's declined. Houston is, by far, the biggest recipient of Honduran immigrants in the US and Charlotte is the up and comer for that demographic with 72% of their Honduran population (which is already as big as Atlanta's and closing in on New Orleans and Dallas) having arrived since 2005. Its sort of what Houston is becoming for Cubans.

2) Arab's are included in the Asian numbers here. That is why Detroit's numbers are so high.

3) Mexicans are going home.

4) Asian immigration seems to be overwhelmingly driven by just two countries: China and India.

do you expect these trends to continue through the 2020s or will geopolitical and economic trends cause another major demographic shift in immigration?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City