Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-03-2022, 03:33 PM

8,323 posts, read 5,484,706 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 908Boi View Post
I predict Atlanta will have the black diversity present in Florida and NYC eventually.
I do doubt it simply because Atlanta's black immigration growth has started to skew heavily towards Jamaica and immigration from Africa to Atlanta has not kept pace with Houston and DFW. Of course Houston and especially DFW don't get the Caribbean immigration Atlanta does and Atlanta has taken off as a Jamaican hub. But in order for Atlanta to start to match NYC in black diversity it would have to pull much harder from Africa. Miami's black diversity is entirely Caribbean with no African component to speak of. I would say DC has a more diverse black population than Miami.

I really have to say, my opinions on DC being more diverse than any of the California metro areas has been reinforced. Just like NYC, DC pulls hard from all regions. The new kids on the black are the Texas metros: DFW and Houston. They are also pulling hard from everywhere (especially Houston). I think Houston is a top 5 metro nationwide for ethnic diversity and DFW isnt that far behind. If trends hold, I think it will be certain. Atlanta is a lot more diverse than people give it credit for. I just don't see the statistical argument that it would match the Texas metros.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicagoland60426 View Post
At the same time, foreign-born blacks Atlanta do represent 20.8% of the total foreign-born population; more than double the percentage of Houston, which is more known being a hub for African immigrants specifically Nigerians. So in essence, Atlanta sort of has become a hub for foreign-born black, putting it's reputation as the black mecca two-fold. It's just that Atlanta metro's total black population is still more than twice as large as the total foreign born.
But that way of looking at it amounts to penalizing Houston for being a much bigger magnet for Asians and Latin Americans. I mean, theoretically African's comprise 27% of Minneapolis/St. Paul's immigrant community. But it does so because MSP doesn't pull hard from Latin America.

I am not trying to say Atlanta doesn't have a positive reputation among black people from all over the world because I know it does, but I don't think measuring the percentage of immigrants from one region against the whole tells a story.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-03-2022, 07:36 PM

20,514 posts, read 33,519,512 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonBornMassMade View Post
And the vast majority of the East Asian American population is Chinese. What’s the difference?
I have no idea what you're saying here. I was only responding to his post.

Old 06-03-2022, 08:39 PM

817 posts, read 626,876 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonBornMassMade View Post
There was a thread about East Asian capital and we debated Boston heavily and it made little sense to me why folks felt it wasn’t a capital then and makes less sense now now.

-It has an East Asian mayor is the only city in the east that’s over 10% Asian other than NYC and Minneapolis (mostly Hmong- SE Asian)

-It the only state on the east coast that’s more Asian than black

-It’s the fourth biggest gainer of Chinese immigrants other than NYC LA SF.

-3rd or 4th best Chinatown
It makes no sense for an East Asian capital to be anywhere outside the West Coast. California's LA/OC and SF are the East Asian capitals of America.

Old 06-03-2022, 08:52 PM

21,628 posts, read 12,733,519 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NearFantastica View Post
It makes no sense for an East Asian capital to be anywhere outside the West Coast. California's LA/OC and SF are the East Asian capitals of America.
Why does it make no sense? We’re talking about after those cities.

Old 06-03-2022, 09:06 PM

9,859 posts, read 6,574,356 times
The top 3 is clearly

LA
SF
NYC

These two can go either way. I’d say Seattle first of these two

Seattle
DC

After that, all of the following have solid arguments to be next.

Houston
Chicago
Dallas
Boston

Unless I’m missing (which I probably am since I’m not digging deep into this), then there’s a steep drop after these

Sure, BostonBorn doesn’t care about any ethnicity outside of Chinese, but everyone does so I’ll go with the consensus

Old 06-03-2022, 09:14 PM

6,806 posts, read 6,031,870 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
I have no idea what you're saying here. I was only responding to his post.
There is an ongoing discussion about whether Boston can be an "East Asian Hub" when its East Asian population is dominated by Chinese residents and when it only has major Vietnamese and Cambodian enclaves without large Korean or Japanese ones.

So BBMM compared it to Atlanta being a "Black Hub" despite being dominated by African Americans in comparison to its African and Caribbean communities.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ParaguaneroSwag View Post
These two can go either way. I’d say Seattle first of these two

Seattle
DC

After that, all of the following have solid arguments to be next.

Houston
Chicago
Dallas
Boston
I can see Seattle, but what puts DC above those 4 for East Asian presence?

Old 06-03-2022, 09:24 PM

When talking about any Asian capitals it is important to make the distinction here between South Asians and East/Southeast Asians. There is no real East Asian capitals outside of the West coast ie mainly California. East coast Asians consist of mostly Indians, if you were to discuss Boston or other East Coast cities being "South Asian capitals" that would make much more sense, but not East Asians.

Old 06-03-2022, 09:36 PM

9,859 posts, read 6,574,356 times
Quote:
When talking about any Asian capitals it is important to make the distinction here between South Asians and East/Southeast Asians. There is no real East Asian capitals outside of the West coast ie mainly California. East coast Asians consist of mostly Indians, if you were to discuss Boston or other East Coast cities being "South Asian capitals" that would make much more sense, but not East Asians.
We did make that distinction for East/Southeast Asian.

Old 06-03-2022, 10:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by As Above So Below... View Post
I feel like there is an elephant in the room....the decline of foreign born Hispanics in LA and Chicago. That is pretty well due to the decline of foreign born Mexicans, but I feel the numbers need to be looked at. So, here are the foreign born Hispanic numbers between 2010-2020 for them:

Los Angeles
El Salvador: 8,035
Guatemala: 7,915
Honduras: 3,183
Venezuela: 1,260
Chile: 1,011

Mexico: -240,924

Chicago
Venezuela: 3,157
Honduras: 2,285
El Salvador: 1,829
Colombia: 1,538
Peru: 1,238

Mexico: -72,990

Riverside/San Bernardino
Guatemala: 5,109
Colombia: 4,030
El Salvador: 2,840
Peru: 1,982
Honduras: 1,211

Mexico: -4,462
Nice to see Chilean growth in Los Angeles. South Americans in California are underrated, lots of Chileans and Argentines. Miami always takes the spotlight.

Old 06-03-2022, 10:10 PM

21,628 posts, read 12,733,519 times
Quote:
Most Asians in Boston are not south Asian. Many more east and SE Asians
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City