Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-17-2021, 08:22 PM

16,691 posts, read 29,511,067 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by As Above So Below... View Post
Non-Hispanic White Growth 2010-2020 by MSA
Austin: 194,639
Nashville: 183,293
Denver: 140,504
Phoenix: 137,036
Indianapolis: 128,939
Raleigh: 106,886
Columbus: 84,569
Minneapolis/St. Paul: 70,130
Jacksonville: 68,415
San Antonio: 64,957
Dallas/Fort Worth: 64,697
Portland, OR: 38,457
Houston: 29,317
Orlando: 25,417
Salt Lake City: 17,042
Tampa: 9,252
Oklahoma City: 614

Washington DC: -7,939
Atlanta: -9,922
Seattle/Tacoma: -11,456
Kansas City: -13,613
Virginia Beach: -13,933
New Orleans: -14,062
Providence: -22,491
Richmond: -27,494
Sacramento: -40,595
Las Vegas: -43,147
Memphis: 55,656
Milwaukee: -63,402
Birmingham: -70,646
San Jose: -72,570
San Diego: -77,842
Cleveland: -82,131
Hartford: -92,936
Louisville: -93,340
Pittsburgh: -103,293
Boston: -116,304
Detroit: -116,611
San Francisco: -122,317
Baltimore: -127,044
St. Louis: -129,633
Miami/Fort Lauderdale: -152,433
Philadelphia: -180,305
Riverside/San Bernardino: -192,318
Los Angeles: -294,556
Chicago: -379,489
New York City: -521,636
Where is Charlotte?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-17-2021, 08:32 PM

4,344 posts, read 2,805,346 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aries4118 View Post
Where is Charlotte?
It's in North Carolina I believe.

Old 09-17-2021, 08:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by atadytic19 View Post
It's in North Carolina I believe.
Like, totally.

Old 09-17-2021, 08:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by As Above So Below... View Post
One significant metro area that is missing from the above lists is Charlotte. I decided to separate it because between 2010 and 2020, many counties were added to the Charlotte/Concord/Gastonia MSA. Therefore it could not be an apples to apples comparison. Below are the numbers for the Charlotte MSA:

Charlotte/Concord/Gastonia
Non-Hispanic White: 461,524
Black: 158,211
Hispanic: 150,411
Multi-Racial: 72,269
Asian: 59,867
I see what you did…

Old 09-17-2021, 08:53 PM

9,863 posts, read 6,579,684 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by popka View Post
Can you explain why you think the Miami metro is far less diverse than the Atlanta, Chicago, Dallas and Houston metros? Have any numbers showing the Houston metro is more diverse than the Miami metro other than the Houston metro having only 5% more of the total population being Asian?

I see people saying Houston is more diverse but they have no argument at all other than the 5% more Asian population argument. I posted numerous statistics and reasons a couple pages back showing why the Miami metro is more diverse yet the people saying Houston is more diverse can't tell me another reason other than the 5% more Asian reason. 5% is nothing. It surely isn't Houston's less diverse Hispanic, Black and White populations that makes it more diverse than Miami. Plus the Miami metro has great Asian food all over the place.

And less diverse than Dallas, Chicago and Atlanta? Give me a break. The Dallas, Atlanta, Chicago and Houston metro Hispanic and Black populations are overwhelmingly Mexican and African American while the Miami metro is like the opposite and much more diverse. Strong culture is on display a lot more around the Miami metro too. Much more than these other cities you're talking about. Where are Houston's large ethnic enclaves? There's numerous enclaves all over the Miami metro.

I would love to see some people post some metro demographic numbers to back up their claims like I did on page 4.
To your question on why is Houston, Dallas, etc easily more diverse than Miami, I explained this as well as others have apparently. So if you’re still not understanding, you either need to understand what the term diversity means or you’re intentionally convincing yourself in support for Miami. Hey, I love Miami too. It’s tied with Houston for my two favorite cities and there’s many things Miami leads Houston in as well as Chicago and Dallas. But all 3 of these cities are far more diverse than Miami is.

But you also asked where Houston’s large enclaves are so I’ll answer your question.

1. Chinatown. By landmass it’s one of the largest Chinatowns in the United States unlike Miami which has no major Chinatown. In fact, Houston’s third largest “Chinatown” (which I don’t consider to be a major Chinatown) is larger than any such thing in South Florida.

2. Viet Town - Again, one of the largest Viet towns in USA. Only San Jose and Orange County’s can compare. As a matter of a fact, a trending cuisine known as Viet Cajun was popularized here.

3. Little India. Again, one of the larger Indian business enclaves in USA. Nothing in Miami to compare.

4. South Fondren/Gulfton is one of the stronger Central American enclaves in USA. They even have individual enclaves within Gulfton specifically for El Salvador, Guatemala, and Honduras.

5. Denver Harbour’s Mexican American enclave

6. Portions of Bissonette are establishing strong Nigerian enclaves.

Houston also has a sizable Koreatown, a Filipinotown is forming. There’s also portions south of the TMC where Arabics are forming their own enclave.

Miami’s Cuban, Venezuelan and Haitian enclaves are far larger than the ones in Houston and much more culturally integrated where it’s not close. But you’re comparing a selection of enclaves that all come from the America’s versus Houston who’s enclaves are not only larger but hail from nationalities all across the globe.

And you only asked about Houston. Chicago has a very strong enclave scenario. While Dallas is more diverse than Miami, it doesn’t have the strong enclaves that Houston and Chicago so if this is important to you, there you go. But Dallas is still more diverse than Miami.

Old 09-17-2021, 09:12 PM

8,326 posts, read 5,488,934 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aries4118 View Post
I see what you did…
I didn’t do anything. The way Charlotte was listed was incomparable with the other metro areas.

Old 09-17-2021, 09:25 PM

626 posts, read 463,612 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ParaguaneroSwag View Post
To your question on why is Houston, Dallas, etc easily more diverse than Miami, I explained this as well as others have apparently. So if you’re still not understanding, you either need to understand what the term diversity means or you’re intentionally convincing yourself in support for Miami. Hey, I love Miami too. It’s tied with Houston for my two favorite cities and there’s many things Miami leads Houston in as well as Chicago and Dallas. But all 3 of these cities are far more diverse than Miami is.

But you also asked where Houston’s large enclaves are so I’ll answer your question.

1. Chinatown. By landmass it’s one of the largest Chinatowns in the United States unlike Miami which has no major Chinatown. In fact, Houston’s third largest “Chinatown” (which I don’t consider to be a major Chinatown) is larger than any such thing in South Florida.

2. Viet Town - Again, one of the largest Viet towns in USA. Only San Jose and Orange County’s can compare. As a matter of a fact, a trending cuisine known as Viet Cajun was popularized here.

3. Little India. Again, one of the larger Indian business enclaves in USA. Nothing in Miami to compare.

4. South Fondren/Gulfton is one of the stronger Central American enclaves in USA. They even have individual enclaves within Gulfton specifically for El Salvador, Guatemala, and Honduras.

5. Denver Harbour’s Mexican American enclave

6. Portions of Bissonette are establishing strong Nigerian enclaves.

Houston also has a sizable Koreatown, a Filipinotown is forming. There’s also portions south of the TMC where Arabics are forming their own enclave.

Miami’s Cuban, Venezuelan and Haitian enclaves are far larger than the ones in Houston and much more culturally integrated where it’s not close. But you’re comparing a selection of enclaves that all come from the America’s versus Houston who’s enclaves are not only larger but hail from nationalities all across the globe.

And you only asked about Houston. Chicago has a very strong enclave scenario. While Dallas is more diverse than Miami, it doesn’t have the strong enclaves that Houston and Chicago so if this is important to you, there you go. But Dallas is still more diverse than Miami.

You're kidding right? Those places are tiny. Miami's Little Havana alone has over 80,000 people and probably more people than all those places combined. Have any population numbers for those enclaves? I know Houston's largest Chinatown has only 29,000 people. Do you really want to compare the amount and sizes of the Miami and Houston metro's ethnic enclaves? That's a comparison that Houston will laughably lose.

The Miami metro has entire cities that are pretty much enclaves. They are much denser and more urban too. Houston has absolutely nothing like that at all. The Houston area being so integrated is both a blessing and a curse.. It really dilutes the culture a lot. Houstons large land area is another reason why it's incondusive to producing large ethnic enclaves like the Miami metro.

There are a bunch of cities around the Miami metro that certain ethnicities gravitate to, a lot of times just based on name alone. Name one large city in the Houston metro that is known as being almost like a huge ethnic enclave for a certain ethnicity. They just don't exist in the Houston metro. Well not like they do in the Miami metro anyways.

Last edited by popka; 09-17-2021 at 09:40 PM..

Old 09-17-2021, 09:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by popka View Post
You're kidding right? Those places are tiny. Miami's Little Havana alone has over 80,000 people and probably more people than all those places combined. Have any population numbers for those enclaves? I know Houston's largest Chinatown has only 29,000 people. Do you really want to compare the amount and sizes of the Miami and Houston metro's ethnic enclaves? That's a comparison that Houston will laughably lose.

The Miami metro has entire cities that are pretty much enclaves. They are much denser and more urban too. Houston has absolutely nothing like that at all. The Houston area being so integrated is both a blessing and a curse.. It dilutes the culture a lot. Houstons large land area is also a reason why.
Once again, you’re speaking based on feelings rather than facts. The only things in this entire post is that’s true is that Miami’s enclaves are more urban. Again, this is great and many people like this. But the topic is diversity, not urbanity.

When you actually breakdown the Houston and Miami enclaves, the only predominate ones are the Latin American enclaves. The difference is that for Houston, they’re Mexican and Central American while for Miami they’re Cuban. Even Little Haiti is heavily Haitian but not predominately Haitian. Houston’s predominately Hispanic neighborhoods are predominately Hispanic. You’re making that part up. In fact, Denver Harbor is more Hispanic by percentage than Little Havana. Gulfton’s population is officially around 60K. You can say that Little Havana is more awesome than Gulfton’s Central American blocks as well as Denver Harbor and I’ll agree with you but we are talking diversity no? Not tourism. Miami wins the tourism battle. Houston’s visitor friendly enclaves are the Asian ones.

As for the Asian enclaves, most of Houston’s Asian enclaves are mostly business. But the really large ones (in particular Chinatown and Viet town), the Chinese Americans own not only the businesses but the residential neighborhoods to. They house Asian immigrants as well Hispanic there. The Koreatown also has a large amount of Korean home owners but that one actually is tiny (unlike the first two) so I’ll leave that one out. If you think they’re tiny, this is only because you haven’t been there. They legitimately compete for the largest in the country in their respective category. Filipinotown and Koreatown tiny? Sure. Chinatown and Viet town Houston tiny? That’s hilarious.

On the other hand, Miami doesn’t have anything to compare. Miami’s aren’t even tiny, they’re non existent. The vast majority of China, Viet, etc towns in USA aren’t predominately Asian. The difference is other cities have them while Miami doesn’t. And the reason is mostly because Miami is less diverse.

By the way, you brought up enclaves not me. It just doesn’t work in Miami’s favor either. Enclaves don’t make diversity. Dallas doesn’t have major enclaves but is still more diverse than Miami.

Last edited by ParaguaneroSwag; 09-17-2021 at 09:54 PM..

Old 09-17-2021, 09:52 PM

Speaking of the Houston Miami, comparison, these are my two favorite cities. Also two of three places where I spent most of my time growing up (the third being Louisiana). When it comes to ethnicity, I’m a fan of both cities for different reasons. In Miami, the Latino population (and particularly my nationality of Venezuela) feels most similar to there over any other place in USA. Houston doesn’t have that (nor Chicago, Dallas etc). Miami also feels far less American than all other cities and has that international feel. Houston on the other hand draws people from all across the world unlike Miami. And unless you never leave your home, you feel this.

Both are great ethnically for different reasons but I suppose you’re confusing the term diversity for something else.

Old 09-17-2021, 10:07 PM

626 posts, read 463,612 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ParaguaneroSwag View Post
Speaking of the Houston Miami, comparison, these are my two favorite cities. Also two of three places where I spent most of my time growing up (the third being Louisiana). When it comes to ethnicity, I’m a fan of both cities for different reasons. In Miami, the Latino population (and particularly my nationality of Venezuela) feels most similar to there over any other place in USA. Houston doesn’t have that (nor Chicago, Dallas etc). Miami also feels far less American than all other cities and has that international feel. Houston on the other hand draws people from all across the world unlike Miami. And unless you never leave your home, you feel this.

Both are great ethnically for different reasons but I suppose you’re confusing the term diversity for something else.
Houston draws more people from around the world than Miami?? Houston's tourism and foreign born numbers are pitiful compared to Miami's.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City