Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-18-2021, 05:29 AM

6,806 posts, read 6,029,753 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by atadytic19 View Post
Back to my Trinidad example, that nation is a Gumbo of races. Trinidad has a long east Indian heritage. That's east Indian as in from India. I think the country is about 1/3 east Indian, 1/3 African and a mix of other ethnicities make up the rest. These have been mixing for generations that pretty much anyone from down there is multiracial. Multiracial mom plus multiracial dad will obviously have multiracial kids.
It sounds like the person you’re describing should check multi-racial on the census. Are you saying they’d be more or less likely to do so in a heavily Trini area?

Quote:
My point is you were using multiracial as a category like the other groups when it's not as simple. What you may identify with may be heavily dependent on the concentration of similar people around them.

It gets even more confusing when you have Spanish speakers of African decent like many people from the Dominican Republic or Honduras.

I don't want to be presumptuous and say it's a fitting in thing, but in a heavily Hispanic area a Dominican would list themselves as Dominican or Hispanic while in a less Hispanic area might prefer to say they are multiracial. It's not simply about having parentsfrom two different races.
Boston, at least, has one of the largest Dominican concentrations in the US, so by this logic the % multiracial would be undercounted in comparison with other metros?

Don’t get me wrong, I do see your point. It’s just that I think the multiracial check box is probably more dominated by people with mixed white/Asian/black heritage than by people who could check another box but choose not to? Maybe give each value a +/- 1.5% to account for the latter?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-18-2021, 06:52 AM

4,344 posts, read 2,801,951 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boston Shudra View Post
It sounds like the person you’re describing should check multi-racial on the census. Are you saying they’d be more or less likely to do so in a heavily Trini area?

Boston, at least, has one of the largest Dominican concentrations in the US, so by this logic the % multiracial would be undercounted in comparison with other metros?

Don’t get me wrong, I do see your point. It’s just that I think the multiracial check box is probably more dominated by people with mixed white/Asian/black heritage than by people who could check another box but choose not to? Maybe give each value a +/- 1.5% to account for the latter?
I was thinking of Boston when I listed DR.
But the point is still being missed.

My issue with your original post was the gist was you were saying see Boston is more racially diverse than people make it out to be, see it has a higher percentage of mixed people than DFW, Houston.....

I took issue because I didn't see it as a winning argument.
Places that are diverse attract huge numbers of people from all walks of life. Boston attracts people from every inch of the world but it attracts a very specialized portion -- the highly educated or people wanting to be.

A place like Dallas wasn't all that diverse a few decades ago, but it's one of a handful of US cities where both domestic and international people can easily move to and make it.

The world would be boring if everyone was rich and had a doctorate in life science. Only a small portion of both domestic and international migrants are going to fit into the rich and highly educated category and for better or for worse that is Boston's niche. That makes it diversify slower than some cities listed against Boston to make a point using just the multiracial and Asian categories.

Boston's main rival is SF. Both draw week educated individuals and neither is cheap. SF has been historically more racially diverse, but in terms of recent trends it is more like Boston in terms of attracting more specialized migrants. If I was trying to make Boston look good I wouldn't be comparing its racial diversity to DFW and especially not Houston. I would make make the argument that people are always knocking on Boston's diversity when it is growing all groups while places like SF are decreasing in groups suck as black. Much better argument than Boston has more multiracial.
BTW Boston, DFW, Houston are all in the 200k range for multiracial so it's not much of a big difference in critical mass of multiracial individuals.

Old 09-18-2021, 08:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by atadytic19 View Post
My issue with your original post was the gist was you were saying see Boston is more racially diverse than people make it out to be, see it has a higher percentage of mixed people than DFW, Houston.....

I took issue because I didn't see it as a winning argument.
Places that are diverse attract huge numbers of people from all walks of life. Boston attracts people from every inch of the world but it attracts a very specialized portion -- the highly educated or people wanting to be.
That's not really true. I think a lot of Boston's largest immigrant groups (with the biggest groups being Dominicans, Haitians, and Brazilians but also relatively large numbers of Cape Verdeans, Guatemalans, Columbians, and Salvadorans see this post) aren't necessarily moving to the area to go to Harvard or to immediately start working for the next Moderna. Sure there's an element of that especially with the area's large Chinese and moderately large Indian immigration, but metro Boston has always attracted and continues to attract plenty of working and middle class immigrants too.

Quote:
The world would be boring if everyone was rich and had a doctorate in life science. Only a small portion of both domestic and international migrants are going to fit into the rich and highly educated category and for better or for worse that is Boston's niche. That makes it diversify slower than some cities listed against Boston to make a point using just the multiracial and Asian categories.
A bit disingenuous with the bolded part. Against a metro like Dallas or Houston, only the Asian or multi-racial categories stand out. However, the metro area is blacker than most western metros and more Latino than most southern and midwestern metros (excluding Florida, of course).

Also, the only state that lost a larger % white share over the last 10 years was Washington. I really don't think this metro area is diversifying more slowly than others.

Quote:
I was thinking of Boston when I listed DR.
But the point is still being missed.
Much better argument than Boston has more multiracial.
I think you were closer to the point with the Trinidad example than with the DR one. A case study is Brockton, MA where 21% of people (21,816 of 105,643) marked themselves as being 2 or more races. Of those, 18,015 marked themselves as not Hispanic or Latino. Drilling deeper, 13,589 marked themselves as Black or African American; Some Other Race. The numbers seem to line up well with the city's Cape Verdean population.

So, you're right that it isn't all white/Asian people captured in the multi-racial category. However, I'd argue that it's more than just a counting fluke, too. I think you're too quick to write the whole category off as unimportant or wishy-washy, when there are solid reason why certain people select it.

Last edited by Boston Shudra; 09-18-2021 at 08:45 AM..

Old 09-18-2021, 08:53 AM

3,197 posts, read 5,373,658 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by As Above So Below

Atlanta/Sandy Springs/Alpharetta- 6,089,815
White: 2,661,835 - 43.7%
Black: 2,019,208 - 33.1%
Hispanic: 730,470 - 12.0%
Asian: 397,009 - 6.5%
Multi-Racial: 229,091 - 3.8%
I know Atlanta’s black population statistics receive most of the attention on C-D. But, it’s time to start recognizing just how signifcantly the Hispanic population has grown and in a relatively short amount of time. Also, they’re likely one of the fastest growing ethic groups in the area considering the combination of birth rates, in-migration and immigration.

Would like to see Hispanic growth increase by metro stats posted here.

Old 09-18-2021, 08:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by First24 View Post
Would like to see Hispanic growth increase by metro stats posted here.
See post #12. Atlanta grew by 183,070 Hispanic residents. Or did you mean some kind of % change or growth? In which case, yeah, that'd be cool. Maybe I'll try to run the numbers myself if I have time.

Old 09-18-2021, 09:08 AM

3,197 posts, read 5,373,658 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boston Shudra View Post
See post #12. Atlanta grew by 183,070 Hispanic residents. Or did you mean some kind of % change or growth? In which case, yeah, that'd be cool. Maybe I'll try to run the numbers myself if I have time.
I would like to see percentages per metro area.

Old 09-18-2021, 09:39 AM

9,859 posts, read 6,570,632 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by popka View Post
Sure thing guys. Keep moving your mouth without ever posting any numbers.
The fact that you’re counting these districts based on population show your confusion. I understand because like I said, I lived in Miami. And Miami doesn’t have real enclaves outside of ethnicities within the Americas. The Asian districts in NYC, LA, Houston, Chicago, and DC are more commercial than residential. Their business daytime & weekend Asian population increases. They do have an ethnic residential community but it’s dominance comes in the commercial population.

And once again, Houston does have high population predominate Hispanic neighborhoods. They’re just Mexican and Central American as opposed to Cuban. And they’re not as commercialized as Little Havana. But again, it’s a diversity argument, not tourism. The only reason you think they’re tiny is because you haven’t been there. The Google search isn’t doing much for you in this regard. More suburban? Yes. But that’s all you got right and it’s a diversity argument not urbanity.

Then you look at Atlanta and Dallas who aren’t as enclave based but are still more diverse than Miami because their international community comes from all continents unlike Miami.

Old 09-18-2021, 10:19 AM

8,323 posts, read 5,481,561 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by popka View Post
Sure thing guys. Keep moving your mouth without ever posting any numbers.
All I do on here is post numbers. The numbers you post almost always come from me. Here's some more of them.

Numbers below are from 2019.

Where are the foreign born residents from?

Miami/Fort Lauderdale - total foreign born population: 2,563,490
The Americas: 2,265,535 - 88.4%
Europe: 135,526 - 5.3%
Asia: 134,690 - 5.3%
Africa: 1.0%

Houston - total foreign born population: 1,654,511
The Americas: 1,048,162 - 63.1%
Asia: 421,952 - 25.9%
Africa: 115,579 - 7.0%
Europe: 65,635 - 4.0%

For the largest foreign born groups per metro area. All over 25k listed.

Miami/Fort Lauderdale - 15 countries (all 15 come from the Americas)
Cuba: 815,800
Haiti: 248,411
Colombia: 187,290
Venezuela: 148,212
Jamaica: 135,462
Nicaragua: 92,262
Honduras: 73,956
Mexico: 70,474
Dominican Republic: 67,208
Peru: 60,505
Brazil: 59,518
Guatemala: 54,224
Argentina: 40,898
Ecuador: 30,245
El Salvador: 29,908

Houston - 13 Countries (7 from the Americas, 5 from Asia, and 1 from Africa)
Mexico: 591,302
El Salvador: 135,071
Vietnam: 96,184
India: 89,786
Honduras: 89,237
China: 67,581
Nigeria: 51,812
Philippines: 43,877
Guatemala: 40,529
Venezuela: 38,387
Colombia: 29,500
Cuba: 28,923
Pakistan: 27,904

Technically Miami has two more countries over 25,000, but that isnt enough to overcome them all being from the same region of the world. Miami is THE Mecca for South America, Nicaragua, and the Caribbean and a huge pull from other Central American nations, but its not on the radar for immigrants from other regions. Houston isnt a Mecca for one group, but is on the radar for everyone.

So which do you prefer? More people from the same region or fewer people from many regions? The later is more diverse based on the definition of the word.

Old 09-18-2021, 10:25 AM

3,197 posts, read 2,651,397 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by As Above So Below... View Post
All I do on here is post numbers. The numbers you post almost always come from me. Here's some more of them.

Numbers below are from 2019.

Where are the foreign born residents from?

Miami/Fort Lauderdale - total foreign born population: 2,563,490
The Americas: 2,265,535 - 88.4%
Europe: 135,526 - 5.3%
Asia: 134,690 - 5.3%
Africa: 1.0%

Houston - total foreign born population: 1,654,511
The Americas: 1,048,162 - 63.1%
Asia: 421,952 - 25.9%
Africa: 115,579 - 7.0%
Europe: 65,635 - 4.0%

For the largest foreign born groups per metro area. All over 25k listed.

Miami/Fort Lauderdale - 15 countries (all 15 come from the Americas)
Cuba: 815,800
Haiti: 248,411
Colombia: 187,290
Venezuela: 148,212
Jamaica: 135,462
Nicaragua: 92,262
Honduras: 73,956
Mexico: 70,474
Dominican Republic: 67,208
Peru: 60,505
Brazil: 59,518
Guatemala: 54,224
Argentina: 40,898
Ecuador: 30,245
El Salvador: 29,908

Houston - 13 Countries (7 from the Americas, 5 from Asia, and 1 from Africa)
Mexico: 591,302
El Salvador: 135,071
Vietnam: 96,184
India: 89,786
Honduras: 89,237
China: 67,581
Nigeria: 51,812
Philippines: 43,877
Guatemala: 40,529
Venezuela: 38,387
Colombia: 29,500
Cuba: 28,923
Pakistan: 27,904

So yeah, Ill say with a straight face that I think Houston is more diverse than Miami. Technically Miami has two more countries over 25,000, but that isnt enough to overcome them all being from the same region of the world.

So which do you prefer? More people from the same region or fewer people from many regions? The later is more diverse based on the definition of the word.

This is what I always say to my Miami friends/posters on here. Miami is diverse, but the city is not globally diverse. It's a Latin American regional city in the U.S/ a city of the Americas. There's nothing wrong with that, however, it is lacking diversity (and heavily) when looking at it globally and the stats back this up.

Old 09-18-2021, 10:27 AM

4,344 posts, read 2,801,951 times
Atlanta and DFW are becoming more and more all-arounders like Houston. Both have impressive Korean populations and both are attracting decent African populations. This is America, so yeah most of the black populations are going to be African Americans but compared to other US cities they have decently growing African populations. Yes, Miami has bigger foreign born black populations but just like its Hispanic populations the black populations are still largely from the Americans. Love Miami’s Caribbean flavor but it's disingenuous to make it sound like DFW and Atlanta is simply African American. There is a certain critical mass that once reached you can feel the flavor.

You can't simply say Miami is more diverse than Houston because there are more Haitians in Miami than there are Nigerians in Houston. What I mean is once you get up to say 20K in a group that's enough to where you start seeing restaurants, stores etc from that group. When you get to the point where is 200k from that group that begins to be overkill where there's just more of the same thing. I would rather 20k each from Nigeria, Congo, Ethiopia, Algeria, Korea, Vietnam, Pakistan, Saudi Arabia , etc than have 500k from 2 or 3 countries in the same vicinity.

I just don't see how he doesn't get the point that Miami flavor is from less parts of the world than the others. Would be interesting to see largest 2nd languages spoken per metro.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City