Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Where is homelessness at it's worst?
New York, NY 7 4.40%
Los Angeles, CA 59 37.11%
San Francisco, CA 56 35.22%
Seattle, WA 20 12.58%
Portland, OR 10 6.29%
San Diego, CA 0 0%
Boston, MA 2 1.26%
San Jose, CA 0 0%
Washington DC 0 0%
Las Vegas, NV 1 0.63%
Another city 4 2.52%
Voters: 159. You may not vote on this poll

Old 11-05-2021, 12:14 PM

14,669 posts, read 14,633,857 times

Advertisements

L.A. likely has the worst homeless problem by far but the spaciousness of the city allows it to be more hidden from many people whereas there's no escaping it in SF or other denser cities.
Quick reply to this message

Old 11-05-2021, 12:26 PM

7,409 posts, read 6,540,013 times
Besides the sheer numbers, what annoyed me was the proximity to them (in my situation I lived in downtown San Diego up until a few years ago and they would pull up to the table next to you with their belongings at Starbucks and similar places with outdoor seating—bad enough as was, but the city encountered a 2 year hepatitis outbreak as a result of the homeless situation making it even more undesirable for local residents to be near them) and a lingering urine stench throughout portions of the downtown area (combination homeless and dogs)….at least in the other West Coast cities outside of SoCal, they get more rain which helps to mitigate some of the stench. I don’t mean to single out one city so I will go with “all of the above” as far as major CA cities. I noticed very little, if any, improvement during a recent summer visit vs when I left.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Natural510 View Post
L.A. likely has the worst homeless problem by far but the spaciousness of the city allows it to be more hidden from many people whereas there's no escaping it in SF or other denser cities.

Old 11-05-2021, 01:24 PM

36,653 posts, read 67,482,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterMosby View Post
I vote Oakland, CA by far even over SF and LA. Oakland and Detroit are among 3rd world type of ghettos in its bad areas and the homeless in Oakland and ghrttoness of it make it like a mix of skid row and east Detroit
I wish.

Sadly however, Oakland has a severe housing shortage and the median home sold price of $900,000.

https://www.realtor.com/realestatean...nd_CA/overview

Old 12-06-2021, 09:10 AM

148 posts, read 175,829 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheseGoTo11 View Post
Downtown Eastside Vancouver is probably the worst I've ever seen, makes parts of the Tenderloin look gentrified.
It's your opinion, but that's really far-fetched. Canada is a mostly safe country, DTES isn't full of shootings and stabbings to the amount of TL. It doesn't have the roughness of TL. I'm from the Bay Area, not Canadian, and I just can't see how you'd say that. DTES is still cleaner, nicer looking, smaller afaik. In TL I've read "8 shot and wounded outside club or drug deal."

Not to make it really racial, but TL is also majority or at least 35% Black. Mostly Black people who came from serious poverty, unlike Vancouver which has a low Black population. Many came from some of the worst streets in America, where gun battles, boarded up houses were a thing, as well as possibly facing tons of racial discrimination, at least when they leave their community, if not other forms of discrimination within the same ethnic community (division by gang and occasionally religion and class instead).

Altho I haven't been to Vancouver in 5 years, and it must've gotten worse, but I just can't picture your statement.

Don't get me wrong, if I had a kid I wouldn't want them to go to school or live in DTES. I wouldn't even want to live there save maybe a few months if I had a cool roomie or spot. It has funk to it. But it is insanely dangerous, nah. Even then, TL isn't completely awful but it's a really scary, distrubing place.

Old 12-06-2021, 09:15 AM

23,517 posts, read 23,995,040 times
The city is not on the poll, but Oakland CA is really bad in some areas.

Old 12-06-2021, 09:35 AM

8,975 posts, read 10,203,209 times
Seattle isn’t great. I’ve been assaulted by mentally ill or drugged out homeless on two separate occasions waiting to take the streetcar. A particular one assaulted me and two other people and was fortunately kicked off the train.

Los Angeles is pretty bad as well - I avoid certain neighborhoods there like in Seattle.

Old 12-07-2021, 01:38 PM

21,628 posts, read 12,727,444 times
Boston's Homeless and drug problem is concentrated on 2./3 blocks. Not that it's invisible elsewhere- but it really only an issue here. But its a MAJOR issue at 'Mass and Cass'.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1-aizmNX77U

Old 12-07-2021, 03:41 PM

2,991 posts, read 3,418,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonBornMassMade View Post
Boston's Homeless and drug problem is concentrated on 2./3 blocks. Not that it's invisible elsewhere- but it really only an issue here. But its a MAJOR issue at 'Mass and Cass'.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1-aizmNX77U
Boston also got blizzards and freezing temperatures, which none of the West Coast cities have, so the tents tend to congregate near services and shelters like Pine St Inn. Although last time I was in Boston, there were definitely a sizable homeless population in the Boston Common too especially around Tremont, lots of trash.

Old 12-07-2021, 09:27 PM

2,029 posts, read 2,358,697 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zedd90 View Post
California cities may be even worst than Chicago. I see a few here and there in Chicago, but in Cali I see a homeless person on almost every block.
Chicago has hardly any homeless compared to other large cities. Say what you want about Illinois government, as far as housing the homeless and distributing rental assistance through aid from the Federal government, it is pretty on top of things.

Old 12-07-2021, 10:24 PM

117 posts, read 80,580 times
Seattle is getting off easy in terms of the poll voting. Its homeless problem is just as pervasive as SF and LA from my experience.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City