Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Where is homelessness at it's worst?
New York, NY 7 4.40%
Los Angeles, CA 59 37.11%
San Francisco, CA 56 35.22%
Seattle, WA 20 12.58%
Portland, OR 10 6.29%
San Diego, CA 0 0%
Boston, MA 2 1.26%
San Jose, CA 0 0%
Washington DC 0 0%
Las Vegas, NV 1 0.63%
Another city 4 2.52%
Voters: 159. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-07-2021, 10:27 PM

12,159 posts, read 7,985,265 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheEggHead View Post
Seattle is getting off easy in terms of the poll voting. Its homeless problem is just as pervasive as SF and LA from my experience.
Agreed. But when you go thinking 'Seattle' and see SF and LA as other polling options, you are going to put LA or SF. Then you have people who are orientated with the East Coast and will put 'NYC' or 'Philadelphia' (Or, wherever...) and may have not visited the West Coast (And Vice versa of course). A lot of this is just based on orientation and always expect cities in each region to have more votes than a second or third fiddle city in a different region that may actually have a worse homeless problem.

That is why I think these polls should be separated by region. Personally, San Diego and Boston are getting off very easy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-07-2021, 11:25 PM

14,019 posts, read 15,001,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guineas View Post
Boston also got blizzards and freezing temperatures, which none of the West Coast cities have, so the tents tend to congregate near services and shelters like Pine St Inn. Although last time I was in Boston, there were definitely a sizable homeless population in the Boston Common too especially around Tremont, lots of trash.
I don’t know where people get this idea Boston is in like Siberia. Boston’s average high in Jan is 37 Degrees and it gets a blizzard once every like 4 years. The last blizzard was in 2018, before thanksgiving 2015 before that 2010.

Let alone Philly or DC which have pretty much balmy winters. With an average high of 41F in the coldest month (Jan)

Old 12-08-2021, 06:10 AM

21,628 posts, read 12,727,444 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by btownboss4 View Post
I don’t know where people get this idea Boston is in like Siberia. Boston’s average high in Jan is 37 Degrees and it gets a blizzard once every like 4 years. The last blizzard was in 2018, before thanksgiving 2015 before that 2010.
Because people mostly see Boston when this happens.. or when there's a championship parade... They don't know it can be 70 in February. In the next 10 days it break 60 3 times and breaks 50 6 times.

https://weather.com/weather/tenday/l...7a801115c9ae30

Old 12-08-2021, 05:26 PM

23,518 posts, read 24,000,129 times
I’ve never lived in Seattle, but in recent years, when I’ve visited, the homeless problem looked very dire. The panhandlers seemed very aggressive also.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheEggHead View Post
Seattle is getting off easy in terms of the poll voting. Its homeless problem is just as pervasive as SF and LA from my experience.

Old 12-08-2021, 06:17 PM

2,991 posts, read 3,418,608 times
Quote:
I don’t know where people get this idea Boston is in like Siberia. Boston’s average high in Jan is 37 Degrees and it gets a blizzard once every like 4 years.
Because when you sleep in a tent on the sidewalk, do you care only about the high temperature or does the low temperature matter too? Use the brain man!

Even with highs in the 60s this week in Boston, it's 27 degrees after dark right now in Boston with winds of 20 MPH.

Old 12-08-2021, 06:27 PM

Quote:
Because when you sleep in a tent on the sidewalk, do you care only about the high temperature or does the low temperature matter too? Use the brain man!

Even with highs in the 60s this week in Boston, it's 27 degrees out right now after dark with winds of 20 MPH.
Average temp in 30F. It’s not some frigid winter. People can pop into shelters during very cold nights and go back to the streets. In fact that how it typically works because most homeless shelters have a no drug policy which is problematic for many.

A big reason why there is less homeless is because the state takes care of people better.

And your point about blizzards is moot because that’s one day every 4 years. It’s like saying Houston doesn’t have homeless because of Hurricanes.

Believe it or not Seattle can be worse at something than other cities through fault of its own

Old 12-08-2021, 06:39 PM

2,991 posts, read 3,418,608 times
Quote:
Average temp in 30F. It’s not some frigid winter.

Believe it or not Seattle can be worse at something than other cities through fault of its own
Average temp of 30F is below freezing dude. It's one thing to jump into your car in the driveway and another to live in a tent in that temperature. Calling that balmy just so you can crap on Seattle is really messed up.

Seattle has a terrible homeless problem, but Boston having an average daily temperature below freezing in Jan and Feb (and below freezing lows from December through March) definitely helps reduce year-round camping.

https://weatherspark.com/y/26197/Ave...tes-Year-Round

Old 12-08-2021, 06:46 PM

Quote:
Average temp of 30F is below freezing dude. It's one thing to jump into your car in the driveway and another to live in a tent in that temperature. Calling that balmy just so you can crap on Seattle is really messed up.

Seattle has a terrible homeless problem, but Boston having an average daily temperature below freezing in Jan and Feb (and below freezing lows from December through March) definitely helps reduce year-round camping.

https://weatherspark.com/y/26197/Ave...tes-Year-Round
I’m not crapping on Seattle it’s just true that Boston isn’t that cold.

People go to shelters on cold nights but live on the street. It’s one of the reasons the issue is concentrated close to the shelters in the city and people aren’t camping out wherever. Mass and Cass likely looks worse than anything in Miami looks because people don’t want to live 2 miles from a shelter

Places like Philly and DC have straight up mild winters. And don’t have issues close to any of the Wesf Coast cities. It’s absolutely a policy issue not an accident of geography.

The fact is homelessness is almost a direct line between housing/income ratios. With almost no regard to climate.

Old 12-08-2021, 09:42 PM

14,047 posts, read 13,923,200 times
1. Las Vegas, LA, San Francisco Bay Area, Seattle, Portland, Phoenix
2. NYC
3. DC/Philly
4. Boston
5. ?

Old 12-09-2021, 03:32 AM

21,628 posts, read 12,727,444 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BPt111 View Post
1. Las Vegas, LA, San Francisco Bay Area, Seattle, Portland, Phoenix
2. NYC
3. DC/Philly
4. Boston
5. ?
I hear the homeless issue in Austin is worse than Boston. I saw few homeless in Vegas the 4 times I’ve been. I saw more in Denver. Boston Philly and DC are equivalent and below the Austin.

Boston Public Schools have about 8-9% of its students homeless though…
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City