Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-16-2022, 02:37 AM

6,083 posts, read 10,695,817 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Losfrisco View Post
Just lol.

San Diego has mountains cutting through the city in addition to the mountains in East County.

Denver itself is as flat as Columbus or Kansas City.

You might as well say they both have paved roads and sidewalks at this point.
SD and Denver are as opposite as it gets imo. But although the city of Denver itself is generally flat much of the metro is not. There are parts of the city that cut through the mountains/hills as well (Jefferson/Douglas County). And I don’t know about Columbus but KC is not flat…
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-16-2022, 02:45 AM

16,508 posts, read 26,291,623 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mezter View Post
SD and Denver are as opposite as it gets imo. But although the city of Denver itself is generally flat much of the metro is not. There are parts of the city that cut through the mountains/hills as well (Jefferson/Douglas County). And I don’t know about Columbus but KC is not flat…
How are they opposites?
An opposite of San Diego seems like a rust belt city.

Old 01-16-2022, 10:28 AM

8,856 posts, read 6,848,510 times
San Diego is similar to Denver in a lot of ways. They're both the "newer urbanish city" vernacular -- old bungalows, newer apartments in business districts, at-grade transit through their downtowns, etc. They also have a lot of people doing outdoor activities.

Baltimore seems pretty different to both. It has great townhouse urbanism in some areas, and seems very partially-used in others. It's more blue collar. Its downtown is the weakest of the three, though it has great areas around the harbor.

Old 01-16-2022, 11:30 AM

4,211 posts, read 3,289,519 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mhays25 View Post
San Diego is similar to Denver in a lot of ways. They're both the "newer urbanish city" vernacular -- old bungalows, newer apartments in business districts, at-grade transit through their downtowns, etc. They also have a lot of people doing outdoor activities.

Baltimore seems pretty different to both. It has great townhouse urbanism in some areas, and seems very partially-used in others. It's more blue collar. Its downtown is the weakest of the three, though it has great areas around the harbor.
Much like the Blue Line in Minneapolis.

Which would be a much more logical, reasonable comparison.

Which, like Denver, has an MSA spilling across over 10 counties. San Diego MSA is a portion of one county attached to an even denser international urban area.

When you see things like "a lot of people doing outdoor activities" being reached for, it seems people will go out of their way to "find similarities" with Denver and major west coast cities, while ignoring the much more obvious midwest/plains/intermountain cities.

Interesting.

Old 01-16-2022, 12:55 PM

When a sizable percentage of people agree on something, maybe it's not an odd thought.

Old 01-16-2022, 01:14 PM

4,211 posts, read 3,289,519 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mhays25 View Post
When a sizable percentage of people agree on something, maybe it's not an odd thought.
Not an odd thought, but a forced, unnatural comparison with generic attributes (craft beer, "young people", etc.) that are ubiquitous.

I get it, people want to put Denver in a peer group with coastal cities as opposed to the ones surrounding them that are much more similar because reasons.

If "mountains" was a major theme of San Diego life I could see a comparison but they really aren't. They are an asterisk to the beaches.

Old 01-16-2022, 01:20 PM

Great, that's your vote. Just realize that people have the same thoughts about some of your opinions, and their thoughts are just as valid.

I have no skin in this game. But I've spent some decent time in all three cities and Baltimore is the clear outlier to me. If it makes you feel any better I'd pick San Diego to live in over the other two due its urban core, water, and weather.

Old 01-16-2022, 02:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by annie_himself View Post
How are they opposites?
There are some similarities between the two. I’d agree Denver probably has more in common with SD than it does with Baltimore. Saying they’re exact opposites is an exaggeration but they’re pretty different places to me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Losfrisco View Post
Not an odd thought, but a forced, unnatural comparison with generic attributes (craft beer, "young people", etc.) that are ubiquitous.

I get it, people want to put Denver in a peer group with coastal cities as opposed to the ones surrounding them that are much more similar because reasons.

If "mountains" was a major theme of San Diego life I could see a comparison but they really aren't. They are an asterisk to the beaches.
You have it twisted. People seeing similarities doesn’t mean a thing. A city like Denver doesn’t aspire to be a San Diego. Don’t know why West coast poster keep suggesting stuff like that. A city like Baltimore is coastal too but it does have a different overall feel to it imo. Not a good or bad thing.

Last edited by Mezter; 01-16-2022 at 02:18 PM..

Old 01-16-2022, 04:30 PM

3,525 posts, read 2,316,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annie_himself View Post
How are they opposites?
I wouldn't call Baltimore an exact opposite of SD either.

Does it have less in common with SD then Denver, for sure, but I wouldn't call Denver a wanna-be SD either. Denver probably has more in common with KC or MSP than it does with SD.

Old 01-16-2022, 06:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joakim3 View Post
I wouldn't call Baltimore an exact opposite of SD either.

Does it have less in common with SD then Denver, for sure, but I wouldn't call Denver a wanna-be SD either. Denver probably has more in common with KC or MSP than it does with SD.
The Twin Cities for sure have a lot more similarities although they’re still pretty different. I feel like people throw KC’s name around constantly without knowing what they’re talking about.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City