Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-16-2022, 07:07 PM

3,525 posts, read 2,317,651 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mezter View Post
The Twin Cities for sure have a lot more similarities although they’re still pretty different. I feel like people throw KC’s name around constantly without knowing what they’re talking about.
I agree on the KC part. There are definitely a lot of presumtions made about it that are very inaccurate.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-17-2022, 12:34 PM

211 posts, read 136,669 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Losfrisco View Post
Much like the Blue Line in Minneapolis.

Which would be a much more logical, reasonable comparison.

Which, like Denver, has an MSA spilling across over 10 counties. San Diego MSA is a portion of one county attached to an even denser international urban area.

When you see things like "a lot of people doing outdoor activities" being reached for, it seems people will go out of their way to "find similarities" with Denver and major west coast cities, while ignoring the much more obvious midwest/plains/intermountain cities.

Interesting.

It's because west coast cities are more 'aspirational', especially among the younger crowd. And despite what others have said, people in Denver definitely do compare it to SD, LA, PDX, Seattle - which I actually don't have a problem with, but I do think Denver has just as much (if not more) in common structurally with midwestern/plains cities.

It's the demographic shift and west-coast-to-Denver pipeline that sets it apart, and a lot of those influencer-esque types that have moved here recently wouldn't move to KC or Minneapolis/St. Paul...the Midwest is not trendy enough. People moving here from the Midwest often speak of it like they escaped some sort of dark winter hellscape (I'm from there, it's only half true), whereas people moving here from the coast often are doing so because they were priced out.

As for the main topic, I do see more similarities between SD and Denver than either have with Baltimore...both have been yuppified with many a brunch place and have that outdoorsy youthful vibe you won't find in Baltimore - a city with better urban bones, but also a depressing/defeated energy. Main bonus points that put SD way above the other 2 are the weather, the food, and obvi having ocean plus mountains. I also find the landscape/vegetation there much more appealing.

Last edited by boomtown boi; 01-17-2022 at 12:55 PM..

Old 01-17-2022, 12:48 PM

4,211 posts, read 3,289,519 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boomtown boi View Post
It's because west coast cities are more 'aspirational', especially among the younger crowd. And despite what others have said, people in Denver definitely do compare it to SD, LA, PDX, Seattle - which I actually don't have a problem with, but I do think Denver has just as much (if not more) in common with midwestern/plains cities.

It's the demographics and west-coast-to-Denver pipeline that sets it apart, and a lot of those influencer-esque types that have moved here recently wouldn't move to KC or Minneapolis/St. Paul...the midwest is not trendy enough.
So its not just me.

Much like when I see an obnoxious "whoa, Austin is just CALI 2.0 brahhh" post, I have really question those kinds of assertions.

It seems like there are dozens of more realistic analogies to made with regards to the local culture of the city.

As far as a "west coast pipeline", this seems like another case of highlighting an influx of transplants from there while ignoring the many more coming in from other parts of the country.

In the end it just amounts to cringe because you shouldn't need to invoke west coast cities, there should already be enough of an existing culture and identity.

Old 01-17-2022, 01:10 PM

211 posts, read 136,669 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Losfrisco View Post

As far as a "west coast pipeline", this seems like another case of highlighting an influx of transplants from there while ignoring the many more coming in from other parts of the country.

In the end it just amounts to cringe because you shouldn't need to invoke west coast cities, there should already be enough of an existing culture and identity.

And the reason I think this happens, is that the west coast influx has altered Denver's culture much more than midwestern/southern transplants have. It has been palpable in terms of the social interactions, restaurants (several Cali outposts have been popping up and are en route), the attitudes, the attire, the style of new homes replacing the Denver bungalows, and most importantly the Cali-lite cost of housing...which has priced out both pre-boom locals and non-wealthy transplants.

Last edited by boomtown boi; 01-17-2022 at 01:21 PM..

Old 01-17-2022, 06:49 PM

503 posts, read 799,724 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boomtown boi View Post
It's because west coast cities are more 'aspirational', especially among the younger crowd. And despite what others have said, people in Denver definitely do compare it to SD, LA, PDX, Seattle - which I actually don't have a problem with, but I do think Denver has just as much (if not more) in common structurally with midwestern/plains cities.
On the contrary, I've notice that people from other Western cities bring Denver into discussions pretty often, even in threads that have nothing to do with it. Probably because it's a trendy/popular city right now. Definitely a two way street when it comes to comparisons.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City