Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Nashville, Austin, Miami, or Tampa?
Nashville 49 35.51%
Austin 24 17.39%
Miami 34 24.64%
Tampa 31 22.46%
Voters: 138. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-14-2022, 09:39 AM

7,409 posts, read 6,542,189 times

Advertisements

Miami is the 2nd most expensive city to rent in the US, and led the nation with a 38% YOY increase; with reasonable COL as one of your stated criteria you should be looking elsewhere for now.

Last edited by elchevere; 01-14-2022 at 10:50 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-14-2022, 09:48 AM

9,818 posts, read 7,923,077 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffD View Post
My wife lived in Franklin. I could certainly live walking distance to the town center there. Williamson County is very white collar affluent plus the entertainment industry wealth so you can get your Lamborghini fixed. It’s a decade beyond being affordable, though. The actual city of Nashville is OK. It has Vanderbilt as a world class university and the medical that comes with it. The airport is plenty adequate. NFL team. Really good green space. It’s missing salt water. The four month Austin summer with 100F highs is too much for me. Tampa is kind of a backwater. Miami is too overwhelmingly Spanish for me.
Backwaters don't tend to have world class International Airports, major league sports and tens of millions of tourists annually.

Old 01-14-2022, 10:52 AM

Is this article true—Tampa also had a 38% YOY rent increase?…wow. Freedom isn’t free.

https://therealdeal.com/miami/2021/1...he-charts/amp/

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMatl View Post
Backwaters don't tend to have world class International Airports, major league sports and tens of millions of tourists annually.

Old 01-14-2022, 10:56 AM

11,781 posts, read 7,992,594 times
If the OP wants moderate politics and affordability, Tampa wins this easily. I have no idea as to how people are considering Nashville to be more moderate and more affordable than Tampa.

Austin is expensive and very left-centric in the city-proper, Just recently it has even surpassed Miami in terms of affordability.
Nashville is right behind Austin in terms of affordability and probably politics as well. Not sure how it is winning against Tampa given the OP's criteria.

You actually get quite alot for your money in Tampa, good beaches, St.Petersburg, not terribly far from one of America's largest entertainment / tourism venues, still a mid-sized city and not plagued with big city issues.

Quote:
Originally Posted by elchevere View Post
Is this article true—Tampa also had a 38% YOY rent increase?…wow. Freedom isn’t free.

https://therealdeal.com/miami/2021/1...he-charts/amp/
Not sure why this is news, rents everywhere have seen a large jump.

Last edited by Need4Camaro; 01-14-2022 at 11:07 AM..

Old 01-14-2022, 11:02 AM

51 posts, read 41,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcenal813 View Post
Isn’t Nashville cheaper? Like, significantly so?

Median home price is $409K in Nashville compared to $357K in Tampa.

Old 01-14-2022, 11:09 AM

38% everywhere?…re-read the article, nationally rents are up 11.6%. Quite a difference. Orlando, Jacksonville and St Petersburg not that far behind Miami and Tampa. This might be news for the OP to consider.

Quote:
Originally Posted by need4camaro View Post
if the op wants moderate politics and affordability, tampa wins this easily. I have no idea as to how people are considering nashville to be more moderate and more affordable than tampa.

Austin is expensive and very left-centric in the city-proper, just recently it has even surpassed miami in terms of affordability.
Nashville is right behind austin in terms of affordability and probably politics as well. Not sure how it is winning against tampa given the op's criteria.

You actually get quite alot for your money in tampa, good beaches, st.petersburg, not terribly far from one of america's largest entertainment / tourism venues, still a mid-sized city and not plagued with big city issues.

Last edited by elchevere; 01-14-2022 at 11:30 AM..

Old 01-14-2022, 12:21 PM

9,679 posts, read 9,380,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Need4Camaro View Post
If the OP wants moderate politics and affordability, Tampa wins this easily. I have no idea as to how people are considering Nashville to be more moderate and more affordable than Tampa.

Austin is expensive and very left-centric in the city-proper, Just recently it has even surpassed Miami in terms of affordability.
Nashville is right behind Austin in terms of affordability and probably politics as well. Not sure how it is winning against Tampa given the OP's criteria.

You actually get quite alot for your money in Tampa, good beaches, St.Petersburg, not terribly far from one of America's largest entertainment / tourism venues, still a mid-sized city and not plagued with big city issues.

Nah, definitely not everywhere. Adjusting for inflation, job growth, and cost of living, some markets have clearly leapfrogged others in being expensive. Nashville is liberal leaning, but still run by conservative state politicians who have no other ties to the area. Most don't even live here. Nashville is a finalist for the RNC 2024.

Old 01-14-2022, 12:33 PM

23,518 posts, read 24,000,129 times
Out of this list, Nashville.

Old 01-14-2022, 12:42 PM

17,148 posts, read 15,357,409 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Super Bootheel Bros. View Post
Median home price is $409K in Nashville compared to $357K in Tampa.
I don’t know what kind of homes people are getting for those prices here, but I am in the market, actively looking, and even modest 3/2 houses are $400k+.

Old 01-14-2022, 12:46 PM

101 posts, read 170,701 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcenal813 View Post
I don’t know what kind of homes people are getting for those prices here, but I am in the market, actively looking, and even modest 3/2 houses are $400k+.
I think it really depends. We are in Forest Hills, an area of Tampa just east of Carrollwood. A 3/2 with 2 car garage, 1540sf just popped up today for $315K. There are a good number of homes in the Country Place subdivision under $400K also; and that is a safe, desirable area with good schools. Houses under $400K are out there, just have to make some compromises on size, no pool, etc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City