Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Nashville, Austin, Miami, or Tampa?
Nashville 49 35.51%
Austin 24 17.39%
Miami 34 24.64%
Tampa 31 22.46%
Voters: 138. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-06-2022, 10:16 AM

12,822 posts, read 9,541,088 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chairister021 View Post
I'm really surprised Miami is getting so many votes and Austin is getting so few. Can anyone explain?
Austin is pretty much the opposite of what the OP wanted. Miami actually comes closer in moderate politics, mild winter, and maybe even COL?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-07-2022, 02:16 PM

11,781 posts, read 7,995,430 times
Its pretty close on CoL.. ..Austin has become slightly more expensive than Miami.

Old 02-08-2022, 07:32 PM

5,024 posts, read 5,664,637 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chairister021 View Post
This forum has been a huge help as I've been trying to figure out where to move. I've narrowed it down to these finalists and was hoping to get some thoughts.

Some background: I'm a single, early 30s male, and work from home in a creative industry. I’m looking for a place with a reasonable cost of living, moderate politics, and mild winters. Otherwise, I’m really just looking for a city where it’d be easy to meet people, particularly people in creative fields.

All the cities on this list seem to fit the criteria, so now I'm just trying to decide how to choose between them.

Thanks in advance!
Creative Industry: Austin IMO
Reasonable Cost of Living: Tampa out of these
Moderate Politics: Austin is probably the most liberal of these. I'd say the other 3 metros are relatively moderate.
Mild Winters: Depends, all are mild to a degree compared to up north. That being said, Miami, followed by Tampa will have the least cold weather. I'd say Nashville probably has the best year round climate for my tastes, though, YMMV.

Old 02-10-2022, 08:55 AM

1,727 posts, read 2,005,352 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cavsfan137 View Post
Creative Industry: Austin IMO
Reasonable Cost of Living: Tampa out of these
Moderate Politics: Austin is probably the most liberal of these. I'd say the other 3 metros are relatively moderate.
Mild Winters: Depends, all are mild to a degree compared to up north. That being said, Miami, followed by Tampa will have the least cold weather. I'd say Nashville probably has the best year round climate for my tastes, though, YMMV.
I would say Nashville rivals Austin for creative industry. Austin has arisen as a creative city but Nashville has historically been a heavy weight here (with the centrality of the music industry). When we lived in Nashville half our friend group, if not more, was either a musician (or worked to some capacity within the music industry), artist or photographer. It was very common to come across these types of young professionals wherever we were.

Last edited by Kluch; 02-10-2022 at 09:03 AM..

Old 02-10-2022, 09:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kluch View Post
I would say Nashville rivals Austin for creative industry. Austin has arisen as a creative city but Nashville has historically been a heavy weight here (with the centrality of the music industry). When we lived in Nashville half our friend group, if not more, was either a musician (or worked to some capacity within the music industry), artist or photographer. It was very common to come across these types of young professionals wherever we were.
Austin has been a creative city for much longer than it has had media recognition, it by no means arose a creative city, it has had this niche for quite some time.. ..if anything through time it is slowly decaying in this area due to the influx of tech pricing out the foundation of its creative arts culture.

Old 02-10-2022, 09:56 AM

1,727 posts, read 2,005,352 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Need4Camaro View Post
Austin has been a creative city for much longer than it has had media recognition, it by no means arose a creative city, it has had this niche for quite some time.. ..if anything through time it is slowly decaying in this area due to the influx of tech pricing out the foundation of its creative arts culture.

True, my point was Nashville has a reputation as being a creative city and thus it tends to attract those in creative industries. I have no doubt Austin is doing that as well, but I think due to Nashville's long standing reputation it's consistently been attracting creative young professionals. At least that was my experience as a 6 year resident. What's interesting is that both Austin and Nashville are becoming tech giants but Austin has more of that type of reputation (Dell, AMD, etc.). Nashville is a huge healthcare hub, which a lot of people don't realize. There are so many healthcare related orgs in the greater Nashville area. I never knew that until living in Nashville.

Old 02-10-2022, 10:43 AM

9,679 posts, read 9,380,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Need4Camaro View Post
It sounds like Austin has carved out a name for itself. Nashville is well known for its music, media, and fashion industries.

https://www.visitmusiccity.com/explo...ory-music-city

Nashville Broadcasting History

https://www.nashvillefashionweek.com/

https://www.visitmusiccity.com/thing...ions/art-scene

https://cheekwood.org/

https://fineartamerica.com/art/opryland+hotel

Old 02-10-2022, 11:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shakeesha View Post
I'll agree with this on a national recognition level.. ..Austin became 'discovered' when it became a relocation venue for many tech giants.. ..prior to that it was a sleepy city that didn't really care about its recognition, however in the aspect of local offerings it has offered creative venues, music and entertainment for far longer than it has been sought after by media and news outlets.

Old 02-10-2022, 06:10 PM

12,822 posts, read 9,541,088 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shakeesha View Post
What kind of fashion is Nashville known for?

Old 02-10-2022, 11:41 PM

23 posts, read 21,864 times
For those voting Miami over Tampa, why?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City