Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Nashville, Austin, Miami, or Tampa?
Nashville 49 35.51%
Austin 24 17.39%
Miami 34 24.64%
Tampa 31 22.46%
Voters: 138. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-15-2022, 07:26 PM

5 posts, read 5,931 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjbradleynyc View Post
Yeah, well, Nashville and Austin are absolutely booming, and they are booming for good reasons.

Strong economies, job magnet areas, highly educated demographics and high amount of metro area wealthy regions.

Tampa-St Petersburg is a fast-growing region as well, of course, with tons of job opportunities, a strong economy and a super bright future.

But the region does attract a high retirement population, and does have folks that move there to just live life near the beach to chill and get by. Nothing wrong with that at all, and we could all probably use that after these almost 2 years dealing with the pandemic.

But, I say all that meaning the Tampa region is a bit different than Austin or Nashville, in general, and has an overall lack of tech/digital/creative job options that Austin/Nashville have.

Yeah. Cities like Tampa, Miami, Phoenix, and Scottsdale don't attract the highly educated populace how cities like austin, nashville, chicago, new york, etc. do. Lots of retirees and...lazy people lol.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-15-2022, 07:38 PM

4,980 posts, read 5,390,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Need4Camaro View Post
I stated that Austin was not a moderate place to live, both inside and outside the city limits. Tampa is definitely going to be the more moderate / affordable city and more closely aligns with the OP's requirements compared to Austin and Nashville.
I know you said it was not moderate - but I took that to mean it was more liberal than moderate. And as far as I know, Austin isn’t immune to Texas laws and that overall, I find Austin more conservative than Tampa because well. Come on. It’s Texas…. The vigilante abortion law effective in Austin is far from liberal.

And for those claiming Nashville & Austin are growing so fast. Yes. Particularly by percentage. But I think Atlanta is adding a lot more people than Nashville or Austin. So, I wonder if Nashville is adding more people than Tampa, if Nashville ks adding more tech jobs, etc than Tampa. I mean. Raw numbers matter considering the size of Tampa versus Nashville.

Old 01-15-2022, 08:20 PM

11,780 posts, read 7,992,594 times
Eh... Austin proper is everything but conservative. They may be bound by conservative state laws by government that supersedes Austin, but if Austin were to suddenly be lifted from the state and placed somewhere in the Pacific region it would immediately become Portland #2. The reason Austin is so heavily hamstrung by the state is because it is heavily political left and the political right do everything they can to tailor it the way they want it to politically develop. There is a strong 'conservatism vs liberalism' battle for Austin.. ..although team left dominates the city proper in inhabitants, team right fights to retain control over the city.

Leaving the Austin proper city limits it gets moderate in the immediate suburbs but the outer suburbs are filled with angry-rightwing-ex-austinites that were fed up with the leftwing leadership of Austin.

Austin has passed plenty of liberal policies but the state steps in and reverses them like a second government.. ..such as the plastic bag ban, and the legalization of homeless camping throughout the city for example.

Austin / Nashville are growing faster per-capita. Austin particularly while doing what it can in some areas, isn't doing it anywhere fast near enough to accommodate for the growth. Atlanta metro has over 3x the area of Austin to fill that growth so it is not as easily hindered despite adding more people. This is why home values in Atlanta despite adding and having more people are still fairly reasonable in comparison.

Last edited by Need4Camaro; 01-15-2022 at 08:34 PM..

Old 01-16-2022, 03:47 AM

24,557 posts, read 18,235,988 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nerfwerfdog View Post
Yeah. Cities like Tampa, Miami, Phoenix, and Scottsdale don't attract the highly educated populace how cities like austin, nashville, chicago, new york, etc. do. Lots of retirees and...lazy people lol.
The data is that Miami has the fastest growth of college educated adults in the country. Tampa isn’t improving like that. You’d never confuse it with the Bay Area or DC for education level of the workforce but it’s trending in the right direction. I referred to Tampa as a backwater because it has flyover country-level education level and job skills. You really can’t say that about Miami. It’s twice as big as Tampa and it has critical mass in the socioeconomically segregated better parts of the metro to support 21st century economy activities that require a skilled and educated workforce.

Old 01-21-2022, 08:53 AM

393 posts, read 261,248 times
Nashville, if you don't want hurricanes.

Old 01-21-2022, 10:31 AM

9,859 posts, read 6,570,632 times
Miami > Tampa > Nashville > Austin. Imo

Old 01-21-2022, 10:32 AM

9,859 posts, read 6,570,632 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fly Dragon View Post
Nashville, if you don't want hurricanes.
Austin isn’t affected by hurricanes. Though they do get occasional floods that’s mainly attributed to the Texas infrastructure.

Old 01-21-2022, 10:54 AM

11,780 posts, read 7,992,594 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ParaguaneroSwag View Post
Austin isn’t affected by hurricanes. Though they do get occasional floods that’s mainly attributed to the Texas infrastructure.
It's not the infrastructure that causes it in Austin. The issue is Austin gets periods where it gets very dry and no rain for extended periods which causes the soil to harden due to no moisture, then a sudden monsoon out of the blue comes and they experience a sudden endless burst of rain while the soil is not loose enough to absorb the excess water faster than it can accumulate so it pools up. Austin actually plans pretty well for these events with high curbs, raised foundations and large trenches adjacent to property to give water a place to pool before it starts affecting property. After it rains a few times within a specific season, flooding becomes less and less of a problem until they go through another dry season.

Last edited by JMT; 01-21-2022 at 03:58 PM.. Reason: Houston is not part of this thread.

Old 01-28-2022, 07:29 PM

828 posts, read 647,527 times
Nashville....CoL is not that cheap though (Tampa probably the cheapest of the group). I'd order from best to least desirable: Nashville, Tampa, Austin, Miami (distant 4th)

Old 01-29-2022, 07:31 AM

1,727 posts, read 2,004,790 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NDFan View Post
Nashville....CoL is not that cheap though (Tampa probably the cheapest of the group). I'd order from best to least desirable: Nashville, Tampa, Austin, Miami (distant 4th)
I would argue that Nashville is still slightly cheaper (overall) compared to the other 3 cities. Tampa would be next in line for sure though. Housing is probably the most "expensive" cost when living in Nashville (compared against the other cities). But Tampa has expensive housing and through the roof (home & auto) insurance costs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City