Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-08-2022, 01:17 PM

10,106 posts, read 9,954,859 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarketStEl View Post
Gov. Larry Hogan, who pledged to reverse Gov Paris Glendenning's emphasis on transit in the state's transportation spending, did that for them when, early in his first term, his transportation department issued a map showing how the Hogan administration was delivering transportation benefits to "every county in Maryland" — and there was a hole in the map where Baltimore City should have been.

But tbh, KodeBlue, are you sure you're living in the right metropolitan area? You sound like a full-blown Negadelphian, only with the wrath directed towards Baltimore.
I was told that Hogan is that Governor of Maryland, not just Baltimore when I made statements about how Hogan ignores Baltimore altogether.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-09-2022, 09:44 AM

2,593 posts, read 4,653,104 times
Default boredatwork

Quote:
Originally Posted by KodeBlue View Post
I was told that Hogan is that Governor of Maryland, not just Baltimore when I made statements about how Hogan ignores Baltimore altogether.
Dammmn. Ive debated KodeBlue numerous times since 2009 about Baltimore. I never thought I would see the day that you would lose hope. Come on now keep your head up. Thing is I saw Baltimore reaching this point years ago but it wont last. The leadership is just inept but its not a lost cause for sure. It just needs a fundamental change on many levels. I wont even mention DC but look at Atlanta, it was just as bad as Baltimore if not worse in the 90s regarding crime and murder and look at it today.

Old 02-12-2022, 04:52 PM

10,106 posts, read 9,954,859 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boreatwork View Post
Dammmn. Ive debated KodeBlue numerous times since 2009 about Baltimore. I never thought I would see the day that you would lose hope. Come on now keep your head up. Thing is I saw Baltimore reaching this point years ago but it wont last. The leadership is just inept but its not a lost cause for sure. It just needs a fundamental change on many levels. I wont even mention DC but look at Atlanta, it was just as bad as Baltimore if not worse in the 90s regarding crime and murder and look at it today.
Yea, it finally hit me that Baltimore isn't coming back, to be quite honest. We've lost too much, are going to continue to lose to more desirable places. I'm not gonna lie to myself about it.

Old 02-13-2022, 09:57 AM

6,725 posts, read 6,715,548 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joakim3 View Post
Becuase the Orioles didn't just sign a lease extension. Nor does current ownership have anything to do with their performance in the league and thus attendence.

But again, thank you for providing nothing of value in your reply
Don't get angry with me because Baltimore doesn't have the demographics to support MLB. It's a tiny media market and if they don't move, they'll always be 5-10k per weeknight, lower than some minor league teams.

Old 02-13-2022, 01:42 PM

3,525 posts, read 2,316,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheseGoTo11 View Post
Don't get angry with me because Baltimore doesn't have the demographics to support MLB. It's a tiny media market and if they don't move, they'll always be 5-10k per weeknight, lower than some minor league teams.
Or they could just not suck.

You're trying way to hard to put the cart before the horse and make this deeper than what it really is.

Last edited by Joakim3; 02-13-2022 at 02:14 PM..

Old 02-13-2022, 08:33 PM

6,725 posts, read 6,715,548 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joakim3 View Post
Or they could just not suck.
Except they didn't suck in 2015 and 2016, and still finished in the bottom half of attendance.

Baltimore has minor league demographics and will average 5k-10k on weeknights for as long as a team plays there, especially when playing anyone but the Yankees and Red Sox, whose fans take over the place.

It's insane to keep a team there when so many larger media markets don't have one, but making sound business decisions is not MLB's strength.

Old 02-13-2022, 09:56 PM

4,599 posts, read 2,990,451 times
But the Baltimore metro area (#19 in population, according to this old table:
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_United_States_urban_areas)
has a larger population than six other MLB cities:

St Louis (#20)
Cleveland (#25)
Pittsburgh (#27)
Cincinnati (#30)
Kansas City (#31)
Milwaukee (#35)

And every metro area larger in population
than Baltimore already has an MLB team.

Old 02-13-2022, 10:57 PM

3,525 posts, read 2,316,290 times
Quote:
Except they didn't suck in 2015 and 2016, and still finished in the bottom half of attendance.

Baltimore has minor league demographics and will average 5k-10k on weeknights for as long as a team plays there, especially when playing anyone but the Yankees and Red Sox, whose fans take over the place.

It's insane to keep a team there when so many larger media markets don't have one, but making sound business decisions is not MLB's strength.
The last time the Orioles made the playoffs was 2014 when they averaged 30k attendence a game. They averaged 29k a game in 2015 and 26k in 2016 so all you're doing is just renforcing my point. The O's averaged 10k a game in 2021.. the same year where we tied the worst MLB season record of all time coming out of a global pandemic. No correlation. What. So. Ever.

It's insane to think media market size dictates where teams go and not multi-million subsidies major cities give to keep or entice profitable franchises.

Last edited by Joakim3; 02-13-2022 at 11:19 PM..

Old 02-14-2022, 05:14 AM

1,801 posts, read 1,949,479 times
Baltimore's overall image problem isn't helping too, where the bad outweighs the good. 20-30 years ago when Camden Yards was packed, Baltimore was seen similar to what Philadelphia is today: a thriving historic core surrounded by some bad portions, yet despite the problems, the media kept pulling for Baltimore regarding the continued revitalization of the harbor. Except for Port Covington and a couple smaller developing areas like Harbor Point and around Hopkins, that boost is gone, and for the current mayor, it's akin of being a relief pitcher being down by ten runs. That deficit means that it will take awhile to improve, but look at Washington 30-40 years ago, when now gentrified neighborhoods like the U Street corridor were literal war zones with rowhouses being burned up by drug dealers. And of course, it's efforts eventually landed them the Nationals. No city is going to be perfect, but it Baltimore did a better job in hiding the criminals to avoid random shootings/murders to innocent people, it would be a much more enjoyable place.

And of those six teams in a smaller media market than Baltimore, all of those teams have more dedicated, loyal fans to their respective teams and have a higher per capita share of attendance. Their image problems in terms of crime isn't as bad as Baltimore presently (even St. Louis, which has sobered up from its Ferguson riots). But if Baltimore loses its MLB team, its not like there will be no more baseball there as the city thrived with a AAA team despite losing one for the Highlanders/Yankees in 1903, and if anything, the fans will become more dedicated as AAA ticket prices are usually cheaper than MLB prices, and fewer games are broadcast on TV, leading to more fans turning out. I'd even tear down the left field seats for a park or other development as well in addition to the downsizing that they're doing at Camden Yards right now.

Old 02-14-2022, 06:10 AM

24,557 posts, read 18,235,988 times
Quote:
The Orioles would fill the ballpark and have a good TV revenue stream if they didn’t have a perennially bad team. I go to Camden Yards to watch the Red Sox. It’s cheaper to go to Baltimore and sit in a good seat than to pay scalper rates for an awful grandstand seat at Fenway. It’s 75% Red Sox fans when I’ve been there. It’s bad ownership and bad management.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City