Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-18-2023, 01:17 PM

10,106 posts, read 9,954,859 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joakim3 View Post
A few points I'd like to contest.

Sports - Baltimore obviously lacks NBA, NHL & MLS so auto win for Philly. Yes, the Eagles just one the Superbowl but let's not act like Lamar & Odell aren't going to be the most followed dynamic next season. Regarding Baseball... ugh how many ballparks are literally modeled off of Camden Yards again? (*stares at Citizens Bank*).

Art - is definitely subjective so I don't know how you rank that.

Science - Did we forget Johns Hopkins exist or something? Hopkins has been the #1 institution for R&D for 43 yeas straight. Cherry on top... The James Webb, Hubble & upcoming Nancy Grace Roman Space Telescopes are run out of the Space Telescope Science Institute, in Baltimore. Go figure.

Business - again subjective depending on industry. Banking or F500? not even on the radar. Shipping/logistics? Baltimore is the gold standard on the East Coast.

Crab cakes & Old Bay are definitely more regional than Philly's Cheesesteaks and Philly blows Baltimore's doors off when it comes to music, TV/movie, exportation... No one is contesting Philly is the bigger, more cosmopolitan & bustling city... but don't let homerism cloud realism.

At parity, Baltimore competes pretty much equally with Philly. Philly usually wins out due to raw scale.
I wouldn't say that Crab Cakes are "regional" at all. I would say, however, that it is more of a luxury food item everywhere else. In Baltimore you find a hole in the wall spot that sells crab cakes.

As far as music, Baltimore's influence is everywhere right now. Everybody is using a club beat derived from Baltimore Club music... Look at Lil Uzi Vert, along with several artists who I have no idea who they are, but are in heavy rotation on the Radio.

I don't care to get too much into fashion, as it's something I don't care much about, but when I saw Philly posters in another forum say "UA and NB are the top brands for young ****** in Philly," or "Under Armour sweatsuit or Nike tech, NB 990’s, Under Armour face mask Is like standard street wear," it warmed my lil heart to see how influential Baltimore has become in Philly. I won't even touch the dirt bike argument either, which that too, Philly copied from Baltimore.

That's why I say Baltimore has had a greater influence on Philly than the other way around. Maybe a Philly poster can elaborate on how Philly's influence in Baltimore. There are a lot of Wawas in Baltimore if that helps; Royal Farms are popping up all over the Philly Area though, so...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-18-2023, 01:23 PM

7,736 posts, read 5,510,947 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 908Boi View Post
I think he’s referred to Baltimore Club / Jersey Club / Philly Club (y’all still it Philly party music or nah ?)

I feel like that was something from like 10-15 years ago. I remember the wu-tang dance. So I have no idea if it's popular or not. I think that was BajanYankee's point about obscure things being brought up haha. I feel like in the realm of hip-hop, there is more influential things.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joakim3 View Post
A few points I'd like to contest

Sports - Baltimore obviously lacks NBA, NHL & MLS so auto win for Philly. Yes, the Eagles just one the Superbowl but let's not act like Lamar & Odell aren't going to be the most followed dynamic next season. Regarding Baseball... ugh how many ballparks are literally modeled off of Camden Yards again? (*stares at Citizens Bank*).
That's fair. No discounting the influence Camden Yards had on this generation of baseball stadiums. It was the model for many ballparks.
To contrast the sporting situation though:
In one city you have a team, the Orioles, balking at $600 million from taxpayers about the stadium
In the other city you have a team, the 76ers, willing to privately invest $1.3 billion on a new arena with no public subsidies.

Quote:
Art - is definitely subjective so I don't know how you rank that.
To be clear, I wasn't "ranking" any of these things lol. I was just saying in regards to these things, I don't find Baltimore's influence in any of them. KodeBlue specifically said that Baltimore was more influential on Philadelphia than vise versa

Quote:
Science - Did we forget Johns Hopkins exist or something? Hopkins has been #1 institution for R&D for 43 yeas, straight. Cherry on top... The James Webb, Hubble & upcoming Nancy Grace Roman Space Telescopes are run out of the Space Telescope Science Institute, in Baltimore, go figure.
No doubt, Hopkins is near the top and has contributed immense amounts of science, but Baltimore doesn't get the R&D startup venture capital investments Philadelphia gets.

Quote:
Business - again subjective depending on industry. Baltimore's shipping/logistics industry is the gold standard on the East Coast.
Again, influence was the meaning behind the statement. I'm willing to say the collection of business and brands around Philly is more influential than Baltimore's.

Old 04-18-2023, 01:36 PM

7,736 posts, read 5,510,947 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KodeBlue View Post
I wouldn't say that Crab Cakes are "regional" at all. I would say, however, that it is more of a luxury food item everywhere else. In Baltimore you find a hole in the wall spot that sells crab cakes.

As far as music, Baltimore's influence is everywhere right now. Everybody is using a club beat derived from Baltimore Club music... Look at Lil Uzi Vert, along with several artists who I have no idea who they are, but are in heavy rotation on the Radio.

I don't care to get too much into fashion, as it's something I don't care much about, but when I saw Philly posters in another forum say "UA and NB are the top brands for young ****** in Philly," or "Under Armour sweatsuit or Nike tech, NB 990’s, Under Armour face mask Is like standard street wear," it warmed my lil heart to see how influential Baltimore has become in Philly. I won't even touch the dirt bike argument either, which that too, Philly copied from Baltimore.

That's why I say Baltimore has had a greater influence on Philly than the other way around. Maybe a Philly poster can elaborate on how Philly's influence in Baltimore. There are a lot of Wawas in Baltimore if that helps; Royal Farms are popping up all over the Philly Area though, so...

I think you're mixing some overlapping things. I don't think anyone considers Lil Uzi to be rapping in any "baltimore" style. Maybe at it's very core that kind of sound had a little influence, but the 'sound cloud' artist thing of the 2010s wasn't really a regional thing and more national as the same sound was replicated everywhere. The internet and availability to share music for free certainly changed the way music evolved.

The other paragraph about "street wear", you're specifically referring to the Bike Life subculture that DID originate out of Baltimore city "ride outs" or whatever people use to call them. Very negative thing to come out of Baltimore.

Old 04-18-2023, 01:44 PM

32,087 posts, read 34,681,849 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thedirtypirate View Post
I think that was BajanYankee's point about obscure things being brought up haha.
Generally speaking, you don't hear people from Detroit going on an on about how they gave the world Motown and how we as a nation, if not a planet, are forever indebted to them for providing such significant cultural contributions. They don't have to do that because its contributions are well known, hence there's no reason to keep bringing them up.

In the same vein, we don't see Bill Gates taking Instagram selfies with a private jet in the background because the whole world knows he has money. It's pointless.

Philly has a lot of cultural contributions that are well-known and its contributions tend to extend beyond a 100 mile or so radius. Everybody already knows about Ben Franklin, cheesesteaks, Rita's Italian ice, the musicians and entertainers, etc. We don't tend to think much about the Great Steak & Fries in every American foodcourt and point out to everyone that "it started in Philadelphia!" because it's obvious and everyone knows that already and it's only one of several things the city is known for.

Old 04-18-2023, 01:49 PM

Quote:
I think you're mixing some overlapping things. I don't think anyone considers Lil Uzi to be rapping in any "baltimore" style. Maybe at it's very core that kind of sound had a little influence, but the 'sound cloud' artist thing of the 2010s wasn't really a regional thing and more national as the same sound was replicated everywhere. The internet and availability to share music for free certainly changed the way music evolved.

The other paragraph about "street wear", you're specifically referring to the Bike Life subculture that DID originate out of Baltimore city "ride outs" or whatever people use to call them. Very negative thing to come out of Baltimore.
No idea what you're talking about. I Won't even attempt to reply any point that you tried to make. It didn't look to be in direct response to what I was saying.

Old 04-18-2023, 01:52 PM

Curious, will this song get played in Baltimore this summer?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kr0tTbTbmVA

Old 04-18-2023, 01:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
Curious, will this song get played in Baltimore this summer?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kr0tTbTbmVA
Just as certain as they'll be riding dirt bikes in Philly.

Old 04-18-2023, 01:58 PM

1,203 posts, read 790,966 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MMS02760 View Post
Baltimore has a much nicer waterfront. Both have a lot of ugly row houses.
And both Baltimore and Philly has some really nice row houses.

Bolton Hill in Baltimore, Society Hill in Philly...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duderino View Post
Although I think it's more than fair to say that Philadelphia has still remarkably managed to hold most of its proverbial s**t together despite a few very rough years for its image. And a newfound, much more positive trajectory seems to cautiously be re-emerging.

Baltimore has clearly has taken a harder hit to its image for longer since the Freddie Gray incident, but I still have immense faith that it, too, will follow a similar trajectory to Philadelphia given all of its great assets. I think the city needs a concerted effort to rebrand itself in the BaltWash region, for starters, which given that informative Baltimore Banner article posted earlier, would go a long way in softening a hardened reputation.
All I will say about central part of Philly vs. Baltimore is that Philly has Walnut Street corridor, and Baltimore has...ehh...if only either the Harbor proper or Howard St in DT Baltimore is back to its glory day.

Quote:
No doubt, Hopkins is near the top and has contributed immense amounts of science, but Baltimore doesn't get the R&D startup venture capital investments Philadelphia gets.
All I'll say is that Baltimore would be in even worse shape if not for the existence of JHU .

Too bad as somebody mentioned, anything that can be commercialize out of JHU go straight to MoCo...
========================
BTW, for food, instead of Crab Cake vs. Cheesesteak, the real battle is Pit Beef vs. Roast Pork Sandwich anyway .

Old 04-18-2023, 01:59 PM

I find that DC and Baltimore are always complaining about being copied while simultaneously listening to hip hop, sporting flat top fades, throwback jerseys or Timbaland boots with no concern for who they are copying. There are several cities that could go much deeper in their bag when it comes to complaints about being copied.

Old 04-18-2023, 02:11 PM

I actually think Gamble and Huff is the city's most important cultural output. Though many people don't really think about it because their music is so ubiquitous.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bpkX1hTo4dM
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City