Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-16-2022, 10:22 PM

6,725 posts, read 6,718,975 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joakim3 View Post
We both know if we broke Philly's numbers down it would be just as dispraportionately skewed and why.
Philly had 394 A-A homicides with an A-A population of over 600k last year, so a lower rate than Baltimore.

Detroit had a lower homicide rate than Baltimore last year, and is 78% Black vs. 62% for Baltimore.

Big difference with Philly vs. Balt is Center City's relatively low homicide rate. Center City also offers a lot more area and attractions to a pedestrian than DT Baltimore, and between that and the immediate area around the train station and UPenn it's not atrocious. In Baltimore you step a foot west of Camden Yards or north of Lombard and you're in The Wire.

Philly is not a safe city by any stretch, but it's not the dead, dysfunctional mess that Baltimore's become. I really don't see how Baltimore comes back. At least Philly has a few biotech companies that are popping up around Penn and leasing lab space there or by the Navy Yard. Meanwhile, anything commercialized out of Hopkins goes straight to Montgomery County.

I'd also note that even dysfunctional DC was able to bring some charter schools into that city, while the teachers unions refuse to let Baltimore experiment. As a result, 77% of Baltimore high schoolers read at an elementary school level.

I think Baltimore needs to keep the wrecking ball going and get ready to be a city of less than 500k people. There's nothing there to save anymore, it's more desperate than Detroit. Perhaps they can build a statue of some squeegee kids.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-17-2022, 01:35 AM

10,106 posts, read 9,954,859 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheseGoTo11 View Post
Philly had 394 A-A homicides with an A-A population of over 600k last year, so a lower rate than Baltimore.

Detroit had a lower homicide rate than Baltimore last year, and is 78% Black vs. 62% for Baltimore.

Big difference with Philly vs. Balt is Center City's relatively low homicide rate. Center City also offers a lot more area and attractions to a pedestrian than DT Baltimore, and between that and the immediate area around the train station and UPenn it's not atrocious. In Baltimore you step a foot west of Camden Yards or north of Lombard and you're in The Wire.

Philly is not a safe city by any stretch, but it's not the dead, dysfunctional mess that Baltimore's become. I really don't see how Baltimore comes back. At least Philly has a few biotech companies that are popping up around Penn and leasing lab space there or by the Navy Yard. Meanwhile, anything commercialized out of Hopkins goes straight to Montgomery County.

I'd also note that even dysfunctional DC was able to bring some charter schools into that city, while the teachers unions refuse to let Baltimore experiment. As a result, 77% of Baltimore high schoolers read at an elementary school level.

I think Baltimore needs to keep the wrecking ball going and get ready to be a city of less than 500k people. There's nothing there to save anymore, it's more desperate than Detroit. Perhaps they can build a statue of some squeegee kids.
Baltimore is pimping itself out to DC. I can't think of a major city in a worse position, with a future as bleak as Baltimore's.

Old 02-17-2022, 04:43 AM

3,525 posts, read 2,316,290 times
Quote:

https://www.axios.com/local/philadel...es-2021-police

Philly had 561 murders in 2021. Of those, 80% of victims were AA. 18% percent were White (includes hispanics)

448 AA murders (677k pop.) rate 66.2/100k
100 White/Hispanics murders (617k pop.) rate 16.2/100k

So Philly has a lower AA homicide rate but a higher White/Hispanic homicide rate. Go figure.

Good for Detroit. Any reduction in homicides in that city is a good reduction.

Quote:
I'd expect it to have more area and attractions than Baltimore when Philly is 2x the size. Center city alone has 180k living within it. Apples to oranges.

Immediatly west of Camden Yards is sleepy Pigtown. Home to the historic B&O train muesum, old german immigrants, a few local bars and a yearly festival.

North of Lombard? Apart from 1 Light Street, forgetable high-rises/skyscrapers. Then Mt. Vernon, home to the cities gay community, cherry blossoms and the original Washington Monument followed by Station North, home to the cities hipster arts community and Penn Station currently undering going a half billion dollar re-do.

I can tell you've done your homework

Last edited by Joakim3; 02-17-2022 at 05:37 AM..

Old 02-17-2022, 03:42 PM

6,725 posts, read 6,718,975 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joakim3
I can tell you've done your homework
Yeah, spent far more time than I'd like in Baltimore.

But look at the progress the city has had with squeegee kids, sorry "disconnected youth who squeegee", in only 37 years.

https://www.nytimes.com/1985/06/09/u...egee-kids.html

Old 02-17-2022, 07:22 PM

8,851 posts, read 5,862,731 times
Default Baltimore’s Squeegee Boys get a new name

I’m sorry but this can’t be serious….Baltimore is now officially referring to them as “The Disconnected Youth That Squeegee.” You can’t make this stuff up, lol

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=LA3pBYKrsr8

Old 02-18-2022, 03:25 AM

3,525 posts, read 2,316,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by personone View Post
I’m sorry but this can’t be serious….Baltimore is now officially referring to them as “The Disconnected Youth That Squeegee.” You can’t make this stuff up, lol
No one here is in disagreance that Baltimore's leadership is beyond inept lol

Old 04-14-2023, 08:29 PM

810 posts, read 2,161,175 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarketStEl View Post
Though given what GeoffD said (and I too wonder whether the cycle of generational poverty can be broken with high single-parent percentages), these stats raise a question:

So how did Philadelphia halt its five-decade-long population slide while Baltimore's continues?

It's also interesting to note what the bottom three cities are on that list. I don't think anyone would consider any of them stagnant (DC, definitely not).
How do the cities compare on property tax rates currently and in the past?

I think this will get passed in 2024: https://foxbaltimore.com/news/local/...perty-tax-rate

Not sure how much effect it will have on the population. Apparently it worked in SF, and I think Boston but Baltimore may be a different animal.

A writeup aying lowering the property tax rate won't revitalize Baltimore:

https://baltimorepostexaminer.com/mi...ose/2023/04/12

Old 04-14-2023, 09:08 PM

810 posts, read 2,161,175 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KodeBlue View Post
The circumstances of DC were completely different. DC is that nation's capitol, so it is was only a matter of time before self actualization kicked in. Baltimore, on the other hand, is just Baltimore. The industry that made it a power house 70 years ago no longer exists, and there really is no other niche for it to exploit.
https://technical.ly/startups/baltim...e-development/

https://www.biohealthinnovation.org/...re-bizjournals

Last edited by vivo; 04-14-2023 at 09:18 PM..

Old 04-14-2023, 10:07 PM

14,155 posts, read 9,047,788 times
That's a good problem for Baltimore to have, and now it's up to the developers to make good on what Johns Hopkins is producing.

But the other thing I kinda got a smile out of was: The first publication your post cited covers several East Coast markets but got its start in and is still based in Philadelphia. I know its cofounder and CEO — who I see also launched a Baltimore version of Philly Tech Week.

Old 04-15-2023, 12:23 AM

221 posts, read 114,214 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vivo View Post
How do the cities compare on property tax rates currently and in the past?

I think this will get passed in 2024: https://foxbaltimore.com/news/local/...perty-tax-rate

Not sure how much effect it will have on the population. Apparently it worked in SF, and I think Boston but Baltimore may be a different animal.

A writeup aying lowering the property tax rate won't revitalize Baltimore:

https://baltimorepostexaminer.com/mi...ose/2023/04/12
Its ironic that Philly's number one tax problem in its income (wage) tax rate....the property taxes are dirt cheap here.

Baltimore probably has a better income tax situation and is seeking to lower the property tax rate.

But its not the property taxes that got Philly growing again, though it doesn't hurt (attract that niche of people with no kids who don't wanna pay property taxes for schools they don't use).

What Philly has that BMore needs desperately is Immigrants. Immigrants. Immigrants helped Philly grow despite a stagnant Black growth rate and a declining White rate.

We've attracted tons of Puerto Ricans/Dominicans and even Mexicans, who have high birth rates, while Baltimore barely has a hispanic community of size.

We've also been able to attract Chinese, Thai and Vietnamese immigrants...the Chinese in large enough numbers.

Perhaps both of these are spillovers from New York, so its possible BMore reaps the benefits of explosive growth in D.C.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City