Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-18-2023, 02:15 PM

32,087 posts, read 34,686,093 times

Advertisements

Interesting video on how Philadelphia International laid the foundation for the rise of disco in the 70s, which then became the foundation for house music in the 70s/80s.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C89hyJLNDYo
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-18-2023, 02:28 PM

32,087 posts, read 34,686,093 times
Only NYC, Los Angeles, Chicago and Nashville have had more hometown artists on the Billboard Hot 100 than Philadelphia.

https://thedataface.com/2015/10/cult...lboard-artists

Another interesting fact is that Philadelphia International had more No. 1 hits on the Billboard (40) than Motown (25).

Old 04-18-2023, 02:29 PM

10,106 posts, read 9,954,859 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ion475 View Post
And both Baltimore and Philly has some really nice row houses.

Bolton Hill in Baltimore, Society Hill in Philly...

All I will say about central part of Philly vs. Baltimore is that Philly has Walnut Street corridor, and Baltimore has...ehh...if only either the Harbor proper or Howard St in DT Baltimore is back to its glory day.

All I'll say is that Baltimore would be in even worse shape if not for the existence of JHU .

Too bad as somebody mentioned, anything that can be commercialize out of JHU go straight to MoCo...
========================
BTW, for food, instead of Crab Cake vs. Cheesesteak, the real battle is Pit Beef vs. Roast Pork Sandwich anyway .
I agree that Baltimore is gonna have to help itself before anyone else will. I do see that it is at least trying, which is something that I couldn't say that a year ago. Hopefully the new Governor is more "Baltimore centric" than his predecessor.

Old 04-18-2023, 02:29 PM

21,628 posts, read 12,727,444 times
Philadelphia, easily.

Old 04-18-2023, 02:51 PM

3,525 posts, read 2,316,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thedirtypirate View Post
That's fair. No discounting the influence Camden Yards had on this generation of baseball stadiums. It was the model for many ballparks.
To contrast the sporting situation though:
In one city you have a team, the Orioles, balking at $600 million from taxpayers about the stadium
In the other city you have a team, the 76ers, willing to privately invest $1.3 billion on a new arena with no public subsidies.
The $600m isn't really for the stadium itself, but to develop the parking lots around it. The Ravens have upgraded MT&T stadium pretty much on their own dime, even with their half of the $1.2 billion state funding.

Quote:
To be clear, I wasn't "ranking" any of these things lol. I was just saying in regards to these things, I don't find Baltimore's influence in any of them. KodeBlue specifically said that Baltimore was more influential on Philadelphia than vise versa
Mis-interpreted that. No wories

Quote:
No doubt, Hopkins is near the top and has contributed immense amounts of science, but Baltimore doesn't get the R&D startup venture capital investments Philadelphia gets.
The issue with Baltimore is there's physically not enough lab/research space in the city to start a start up. All of the potential prospects go to MoCo, which is why the city (and now state) is making such a push to build Wet Lab space in the city. It's long been maxed out.

Quote:
Again, influence was the meaning behind the statement. I'm willing to say the collection of business and brands around Philly is more influential than Baltimore's.
Not contesting that at all.

Old 04-18-2023, 02:52 PM

1,203 posts, read 790,966 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KodeBlue View Post
I agree that Baltimore is gonna have to help itself before anyone else will. I do see that it is at least trying, which is something that I couldn't say that a year ago. Hopefully the new Governor is more "Baltimore centric" than his predecessor.
Somewhat off topic but Gov. Moore just put his house in Baltimore on sale:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/busin...ighfield-road/

Joke is that Annapolis is just much nicer that even he's leaving Baltimore .

But yes, as I said in another thread - a better Baltimore make the state overall better. Maryland can't always just rely on those DC spillovers and government porks .

Old 04-18-2023, 03:09 PM

10,106 posts, read 9,954,859 times
Quote:
Somewhat off topic but Gov. Moore just put his house in Baltimore on sale:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/busin...ighfield-road/

Joke is that Annapolis is just much nicer that even he's leaving Baltimore .

But yes, as I said in another thread - a better Baltimore make the state overall better. Maryland can't always just rely on those DC spillovers and government porks .
He could've moved there sooner if he really wanted to. He chose to live in Baltimore. I take anything coming out of DC regarding Baltimore with a grain of salt.

Old 04-18-2023, 03:54 PM

3,525 posts, read 2,316,290 times
Quote:
All I'll say is that Baltimore would be in even worse shape if not for the existence of JHU
I mean you could say that about any major city?

Old 04-18-2023, 05:05 PM

2,750 posts, read 2,416,543 times
Quote:
I feel like that was something from like 10-15 years ago. I remember the wu-tang dance. So I have no idea if it's popular or not. I think that was BajanYankee's point about obscure things being brought up haha. I feel like in the realm of hip-hop, there is more influential things.
its still very popular in Jersey and seems popular in Philly. Idk about in Baltimore.

Old 04-18-2023, 05:06 PM

8,851 posts, read 5,862,731 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KodeBlue View Post
I wouldn't say that Crab Cakes are "regional" at all. I would say, however, that it is more of a luxury food item everywhere else. In Baltimore you find a hole in the wall spot that sells crab cakes.
I find that the crab cake is by far the most “authentic” in the Baltimore area. So it’s “regional” in that sense. Sure you can find them anywhere, but they are more “authentic” in Baltimore. As you said, you can find good crab cakes in hole in the wall spots. I find that they are pretty vanilla elsewhere, but that may be because I developed a specific palate (and if they don’t have old bay and aren’t cooked a specific way, they don’t taste the same).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City