Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-19-2023, 10:10 AM

3,527 posts, read 2,321,970 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by KodeBlue View Post
Once UDAAP butchers any semblance of creative design, we're likely left with a couple of boring glass boxes
UDAAP can't deny projects anymore (as long as it doesn't breach zoning laws, etc..), they can only give recommendations. Pretty much anything that's gone through them in last 3-4 years pretty much looks near identical to what presented with them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-19-2023, 10:24 AM

10,106 posts, read 9,963,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joakim3 View Post
UDAAP can't deny projects anymore (as long as it doesn't breach zoning laws, etc..), they can only give recommendations. Pretty much anything that's gone through them in last 3-4 years pretty much looks near identical to what presented with them.
Good! I think that was part of the reason why development in the city had become so stagnant. I was there this past weekend, and noticed that there are more cranes in the sky than I have ever seen in Baltimore.

Old 04-19-2023, 10:26 AM

3,527 posts, read 2,321,970 times
Quote:
Good! I think that was part of the reason why development in the city had become so stagnant. I was there this past weekend, and noticed that there are more cranes in the sky than I have ever seen in Baltimore.
City council specifically did that because UDAAP was becoming a huge development chokepoint. But yeah, Baltimore is in a nice stride construction wise.

Old 04-20-2023, 08:07 PM

221 posts, read 114,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarketStEl View Post
Oops!

Crab cakes are the Baltimore original.

Even though they rely on another Baltimore staple, Old Bay seasoning, crab fries are a Philly invention. Though you'd be right in saying they wouldn't exist had Baltimore not figured out how to season crabs.

Um, really?

New York's and Philly's cultures remain different enough for people in both cities to continue to note them. The Quaker ethos of modesty still remains noticeable here; that sort of thing's alien to NYC, which has been a city on the make ever since the Dutch established it in 1625.

And if Baltimore takes its cultural cues from DC, I'm Marie of Romania. You find none of that Official Washington self-importance in Baltimore. Not to mention that Washington has been Baltimore's "bigger neighbor" for only the past 50 years or so. As a "big city," Washington is the newcomer among the Northeast Corridor Big Five. (And from what I can tell, go-go music really hasn't traveled far beyond DC. And among the Big Five, Baltimore has the least noteworthy music culture/tradition/heritage.)
I agree with that mostly. What I’m saying is those cities both have the underdog mentality coming from belong so close to internationally important cities.

NY and Philly has always had similarities culturally; everything from hip hop and fashion to grafitti culture and architecture even….firehydrants and stoop culture in the summer. NY is always in the back of our minds too. Nearly all my friends moved there; growing up and even through adult life the pull of New York is always there. Many of Philadelphians has considered moving there. The brain drain is real. We hate on the place a lot but we also look up to it; if we’re being honest. Yeah, Philly is its own thing but if you ask someone outside the region what city Philly reminds them of on all levels they’ll say NYC. A shared mid-Atlantic culture. A black culture heavy on Jamaican and West Indian influences. The similar Hispanic Puerto Rican culture. The Italian and (catholic) Irish thing. Heavily Jewish downtowns and culture overall. A culture not adverse to subways, a culture that values urbanity; which is still relatively rare outside the mid Atlantic.

As for DC/Baltimore…same sort of dynamic. They both have their own culture but are apart of the same general Chesapeake culture and all that entails. It’s funny how some places they come to together like in Ocean City or Arundel, live! or Six Flags America and Merriweather post. Kinda how NY and Philly people share Atlantic City, Great Adventure and the Jersey shore. Theres a lot of back and forth between the two cities and residents of both would not feel uncomfortable in the others city. In the case of Bmore/DC they practically share media. You can get KYS and 92q in both cities; so they always know what the other is doing. The same with Philly and NYC.

GoGo fwiw it’s an acquired taste. And DC prides itself on the localness of that…the shouts of seat pleasant, capital heights and all that. I don’t know if it could travel outside of that; it’s so local. BMorians would look at club music as the analogue to it, and pride itself on it….like you can only have one or the other ! Hell, I love both but it’s funny how that is. Even in Philly, we used to play “sexy lady”, “patty” and “lock it”and all that in the summertime; the old gogo not the bounce beat stuff.

Last edited by PHILLYUPTOWN; 04-20-2023 at 08:30 PM..

Old 04-21-2023, 07:47 AM

2,593 posts, read 4,655,643 times
Default Boredatwork

Quote:
Originally Posted by PHILLYUPTOWN View Post
I agree with that mostly. What I’m saying is those cities both have the underdog mentality coming from belong so close to internationally important cities.

NY and Philly has always had similarities culturally; everything from hip hop and fashion to grafitti culture and architecture even….firehydrants and stoop culture in the summer. NY is always in the back of our minds too. Nearly all my friends moved there; growing up and even through adult life the pull of New York is always there. Many of Philadelphians has considered moving there. The brain drain is real. We hate on the place a lot but we also look up to it; if we’re being honest. Yeah, Philly is its own thing but if you ask someone outside the region what city Philly reminds them of on all levels they’ll say NYC. A shared mid-Atlantic culture. A black culture heavy on Jamaican and West Indian influences. The similar Hispanic Puerto Rican culture. The Italian and (catholic) Irish thing. Heavily Jewish downtowns and culture overall. A culture not adverse to subways, a culture that values urbanity; which is still relatively rare outside the mid Atlantic.

As for DC/Baltimore…same sort of dynamic. They both have their own culture but are apart of the same general Chesapeake culture and all that entails. It’s funny how some places they come to together like in Ocean City or Arundel, live! or Six Flags America and Merriweather post. Kinda how NY and Philly people share Atlantic City, Great Adventure and the Jersey shore. Theres a lot of back and forth between the two cities and residents of both would not feel uncomfortable in the others city. In the case of Bmore/DC they practically share media. You can get KYS and 92q in both cities; so they always know what the other is doing. The same with Philly and NYC.

GoGo fwiw it’s an acquired taste. And DC prides itself on the localness of that…the shouts of seat pleasant, capital heights and all that. I don’t know if it could travel outside of that; it’s so local. BMorians would look at club music as the analogue to it, and pride itself on it….like you can only have one or the other ! Hell, I love both but it’s funny how that is. Even in Philly, we used to play “sexy lady”, “patty” and “lock it”and all that in the summertime; the old gogo not the bounce beat stuff.
Well said.

Old 04-21-2023, 08:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PHILLYUPTOWN View Post

Well said. Little known fact is that parts of the Baltimore area get Baltimore, DC, and Philly radio stations simultaneously.

Old 04-21-2023, 08:41 AM

14,166 posts, read 9,058,487 times
Quote:
Well said. Little known fact is that parts of the Baltimore area get Baltimore, DC, and Philly radio stations simultaneously.
I'm going to guess that they lie mainly to the northeast of Baltimore.

Old 04-21-2023, 12:19 PM

2,235 posts, read 1,119,153 times
Quote:
Which stations? Power 99? Q102? Quiet Storm? (R.I.P. Tony Brown)

Old 04-21-2023, 01:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AshbyQuin View Post
Which stations? Power 99? Q102? Quiet Storm? (R.I.P. Tony Brown)
Power 99 in Philly, Baltimore stations of course, and maybe 95.5 in DC. 93.9 gets shaky in a lot of places in and around Baltimore.

Old 04-21-2023, 01:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarketStEl View Post
I'm going to guess that they lie mainly to the northeast of Baltimore.
North and northeast. I lived northwest of Baltimore and have gotten Philly radio once or twice.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City