Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-18-2023, 05:40 PM

3,525 posts, read 2,316,290 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by personone View Post
I find that the crab cake is by far the most “authentic” in the Baltimore area. So it’s “regional” in that sense. Sure you can find them anywhere, but they are more “authentic” in Baltimore. As you said, you can find good crab cakes in hole in the wall spots. I find that they are pretty vanilla elsewhere, but that may be because I developed a specific palate (and if they don’t have old bay and aren’t cooked a specific way, they don’t taste the same).
The crab cake traces its roots back to indigenous Native Americans living in and around the bay, but its modern colloquial interpretation did start in Baltimore. The Crab Cake is to Baltimore what the Cheesesteak is to Philly.

Baltimore's is the authentic one.

Last edited by Joakim3; 04-18-2023 at 05:49 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-18-2023, 06:31 PM

221 posts, read 114,312 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 908Boi View Post
its still very popular in Jersey and seems popular in Philly. Idk about in Baltimore.
Yeah it has seem to take on a new life. 5-10 years ago it was Diamond kutz in Philly but now it’s come back with the younger kids. Most will acknowledge it came from Baltimore and Jersey…will BMore and Jersey acknowledge it came from Chicago and Detroit. Lol.

Old 04-18-2023, 06:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
Besides club music and crab fries, what influences does Baltimore have on Philly?
Definately the dirt bike culture; unfortunately that’s theirs. So we have them to blame! Lol

In my experience both cities despite their architectural similarities; culturally tend to take their cues from their bigger neighbors; ours to the North (cept graffiti lol), Baltimore to the south.

That we do have in common. That and the inferiority complex that comes from being so close to a much larger and important city. I find that Bmore and Philly subconsciously bond on that fact lol.

Last edited by PHILLYUPTOWN; 04-18-2023 at 07:05 PM..

Old 04-18-2023, 06:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KodeBlue View Post
Who?
For the older folks we will give credit to the Rod Lees and KSwifts of the world; who definately influenced people like Diplo who brought Club Music to the “mainstream”. Their mad decent era was definately influenced by the Baltimore club scene.

Old 04-18-2023, 07:00 PM

Quote:
Who?
Quote:
I'm not seeing the Reservoir Hill/West Philly similarities. Reservoir Hill has a housing stock that looks like what you might see in Columbia Heights or Adams-Morgan in DC. Just take a look at the cover photo from the Wiki page.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Reserv..._Baltimore.JPG
I wanted to say West Philly is Charles Village in many ways. Everything from the top rated college nearby to the 3 story with a bay rowhouse. Looking around tho university city has way more twins than either Reservoir Hill or Charles Village; Bmore doesn’t have as many twins.

The images from Philly is actually from north (Lehigh/Erie Area) and the Bmore ones are Reservoir Hill and Charles Village but I just wanted to make the point that the architecture is extremely similar all over.
Attached Thumbnails
Mid Atlantic Cities - Philadelphia versus Baltimore-c779157f-52b9-46a9-890c-1d422197ab50.jpeg   Mid Atlantic Cities - Philadelphia versus Baltimore-94c8505a-e06b-4378-b645-273d1c34778f.jpeg   Mid Atlantic Cities - Philadelphia versus Baltimore-141ef4ca-5892-4f15-a8a2-273abf43ca95.jpeg   Mid Atlantic Cities - Philadelphia versus Baltimore-1dfcbf15-338e-4029-bc02-c6b6671a1046.jpeg  

Old 04-18-2023, 10:18 PM

14,155 posts, read 9,047,788 times
Quote:
Besides club music and crab fries, what influences does Baltimore have on Philly?
Oops!

Crab cakes are the Baltimore original.

Even though they rely on another Baltimore staple, Old Bay seasoning, crab fries are a Philly invention. Though you'd be right in saying they wouldn't exist had Baltimore not figured out how to season crabs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PHILLYUPTOWN View Post
Definately the dirt bike culture; unfortunately that’s theirs. So we have them to blame! Lol

In my experience both cities despite their architectural similarities; culturally tend to take their cues from their bigger neighbors; ours to the North (cept graffiti lol), Baltimore to the south.

That we do have in common. That and the inferiority complex that comes from being so close to a much larger and important city. I find that Bmore and Philly subconsciously bond on that fact lol.
Um, really?

New York's and Philly's cultures remain different enough for people in both cities to continue to note them. The Quaker ethos of modesty still remains noticeable here; that sort of thing's alien to NYC, which has been a city on the make ever since the Dutch established it in 1625.

And if Baltimore takes its cultural cues from DC, I'm Marie of Romania. You find none of that Official Washington self-importance in Baltimore. Not to mention that Washington has been Baltimore's "bigger neighbor" for only the past 50 years or so. As a "big city," Washington is the newcomer among the Northeast Corridor Big Five. (And from what I can tell, go-go music really hasn't traveled far beyond DC. And among the Big Five, Baltimore has the least noteworthy music culture/tradition/heritage.)

Old 04-19-2023, 06:58 AM

8,851 posts, read 5,864,131 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joakim3 View Post
The crab cake traces its roots back to indigenous Native Americans living in and around the bay, but its modern colloquial interpretation did start in Baltimore. The Crab Cake is to Baltimore what the Cheesesteak is to Philly.

Baltimore's is the authentic one.
Yes, this is exactly what I said.

Old 04-19-2023, 07:05 AM

2,750 posts, read 2,417,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PHILLYUPTOWN View Post
Yeah it has seem to take on a new life. 5-10 years ago it was Diamond kutz in Philly but now it’s come back with the younger kids. Most will acknowledge it came from Baltimore and Jersey…will BMore and Jersey acknowledge it came from Chicago and Detroit. Lol.
Nj acknowledges it comes from Baltimore lol. House is pretty popular too, especially the older generations.

Old 04-19-2023, 07:06 AM

2,235 posts, read 1,116,789 times
Quote:
I wouldn't say that Crab Cakes are "regional" at all. I would say, however, that it is more of a luxury food item everywhere else. In Baltimore you find a hole in the wall spot that sells crab cakes.

As far as music, Baltimore's influence is everywhere right now. Everybody is using a club beat derived from Baltimore Club music... Look at Lil Uzi Vert, along with several artists who I have no idea who they are, but are in heavy rotation on the Radio.

I don't care to get too much into fashion, as it's something I don't care much about, but when I saw Philly posters in another forum say "UA and NB are the top brands for young ****** in Philly," or "Under Armour sweatsuit or Nike tech, NB 990’s, Under Armour face mask Is like standard street wear," it warmed my lil heart to see how influential Baltimore has become in Philly. I won't even touch the dirt bike argument either, which that too, Philly copied from Baltimore.

That's why I say Baltimore has had a greater influence on Philly than the other way around. Maybe a Philly poster can elaborate on how Philly's influence in Baltimore. There are a lot of Wawas in Baltimore if that helps; Royal Farms are popping up all over the Philly Area though, so...

Yes, +1

Old 04-19-2023, 07:14 AM

10,106 posts, read 9,956,241 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarketStEl View Post
Oops!

Crab cakes are the Baltimore original.

Even though they rely on another Baltimore staple, Old Bay seasoning, crab fries are a Philly invention. Though you'd be right in saying they wouldn't exist had Baltimore not figured out how to season crabs.

Um, really?

New York's and Philly's cultures remain different enough for people in both cities to continue to note them. The Quaker ethos of modesty still remains noticeable here; that sort of thing's alien to NYC, which has been a city on the make ever since the Dutch established it in 1625.

And if Baltimore takes its cultural cues from DC, I'm Marie of Romania. You find none of that Official Washington self-importance in Baltimore. Not to mention that Washington has been Baltimore's "bigger neighbor" for only the past 50 years or so. As a "big city," Washington is the newcomer among the Northeast Corridor Big Five. (And from what I can tell, go-go music really hasn't traveled far beyond DC. And among the Big Five, Baltimore has the least noteworthy music culture/tradition/heritage.)
Philly didn't invent crab fries, but you coined the term for putting Old Bay on fries. Our "crab fries" is actual crab meat on fries. What you call "crab fries" in Philly, is what we call "Old Bay fries."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City