Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-16-2023, 05:15 PM

1,203 posts, read 791,866 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PHILLYUPTOWN View Post
I mean growing up (I’m over 30) Philly was very much considered a black and white city. In the last 20-25 years our Hispanic and Asian populations exploded so anything’s possible. What I don’t understand is how all the small towns of the north east; York, Lancaster, Reading and Allentown up to Lowell, Albany, Trenton and Connecticut all have large Hispanic populations but Baltimore wasn’t on that radar.
The Hispanic communities in those mid-size PA metros (Lancaster/York/Reading) had been there since 1950s, though - many of them from what I read started their US journey in New York anyway - and PA is just closer to NY than Baltimore.

The Hispanic communities in Baltimore (actually more DC) are a lot more recent - i.e. starting in 1980s, and mainly central American (Salvadoran or Guatemalan) instead of the Mexican/Dominican/Puerto Rican mix you find in PA. They're more concentrated in 1960s/70s suburb like Gaithersburg or Dale City or Manassas anyway - i.e. not even DC proper has large Hispanic population, much less Baltimore with an even smaller Hispanic community.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-17-2023, 12:05 AM

6,725 posts, read 6,718,975 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ion475 View Post
i.e. not even DC proper has large Hispanic population, much less Baltimore with an even smaller Hispanic community.
Yes.

Prince William County is 25% Hispanic, Fairfax is 17%. For all the discussions around here about whether Northern VA is the South, I always say it's 100x more Central American than Southern US these days. Meanwhile, DC is 11%, Baltimore City is just 6%. In Philly, 16% of the city is now Hispanic, most of the suburban counties 5-6%.

Both cities also have relatively low Asian populations. Philly is 7% Asian, Baltimore just 2%.

Just 8% of Baltimore is foreign-born, compared to 15% in Philly, 14% in DC, 27% in Boston, and 36% in NYC.

Old 04-17-2023, 07:47 AM

1,203 posts, read 791,866 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheseGoTo11 View Post
Yes.

Prince William County is 25% Hispanic, Fairfax is 17%. For all the discussions around here about whether Northern VA is the South, I always say it's 100x more Central American than Southern US these days. Meanwhile, DC is 11%, Baltimore City is just 6%. In Philly, 16% of the city is now Hispanic, most of the suburban counties 5-6%.

Both cities also have relatively low Asian populations. Philly is 7% Asian, Baltimore just 2%.

Just 8% of Baltimore is foreign-born, compared to 15% in Philly, 14% in DC, 27% in Boston, and 36% in NYC.
To be more fair to DC, there is also places like Riverdale or Langley Park in PG County that's basically Little El Salvador. And despite PG's reputation as "basically all black" it actually has 20% Hispanic population (and fast growing), and 24% of its population is foreign born.

To add on about NoVA, though - Arlington VA is 16% Hispanic, Alexandria 17% - so even the "inner most" part of NoVA has a fair size Hispanic population.

Back to Baltimore MSA - Howard County is doing fine (although its foreign born population is mainly Asian), but that's about it. Baltimore MSA reminds me more of Detroit MSA anyway (5% Asian, 5% Hispanic) with pockets like Novi MI (20+% Asian) being similar to places like Columbia or Ellicott City MD in Howard County rather than Philadelphia, which at 6% Asian and 10% Hispanic at a metro level, is a less black version of Atlanta MSA (Of course, there are difference, i.e. most of Atlanta's Hispanic community are out in suburbs like Gwinnett County...in that regards it's more similar to DC).

Old 04-17-2023, 09:52 AM

10,106 posts, read 9,956,241 times
Quote:
I mean growing up (I’m over 30) Philly was very much considered a black and white city. In the last 20-25 years our Hispanic and Asian populations exploded so anything’s possible. What I don’t understand is how all the small towns of the north east; York, Lancaster, Reading and Allentown up to Lowell, Albany, Trenton and Connecticut all have large Hispanic populations but Baltimore wasn’t on that radar.
I found that pretty interesting too that places like York, PA has attracted a large percentage of Puerto Ricans, but they haven't make to Baltimore yet.

Old 04-17-2023, 10:07 PM

221 posts, read 114,312 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KodeBlue View Post
I found that pretty interesting too that places like York, PA has attracted a large percentage of Puerto Ricans, but they haven't make to Baltimore yet.
What ion475 said makes sense; those towns basically are satellites of New York in that regard. Kinda like how I went skiing in the Poconos and was surprised at the number of NewYork Ricans out there. I guess they’re being priced out to those areas. Still a good thing; the Hispanics are saving the small towns!

Still weird tho, that Bmore didn’t capture any; it’s not like Reading, PA has a booming economy either. I wouldn’t be suprised if those towns marketed directly to those communities; kinda like how the Post used to have advertising for housing in the Poconos for the working class that ended up attracting a lot of blacks and Hispanics to that area. Maybe Bmore should directly market to that community in NY and on the mainline; if they’re even interested idk.

Old 04-17-2023, 10:28 PM

221 posts, read 114,312 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Outer_Bluegrass View Post
I prefer the coastal, more southerly location and nautical culture and vibe of Baltimore.

Also, Baltimore/Maryland has notably better infrastructure than Philadelphia/Pennsylvania (i.e., roads, parks, airports, etc.) and is generally cleaner. Both cities are rather by old by national standards, but Baltimore and its surrounding communities are newer-looking than Philadelphia and its surrounding communities.

Furthermore, I find that the people of Baltimore/Maryland are less insular and more open-minded to new attitudes, cultures and experiences (for better or for worse) than people in Philadelphia/Pennsylvania. There is a feeling of despair and hopelessness I personally feel in the middle-class areas of Philadelphia/Pennsylvania that I do not feel in Baltimore/Maryland.
The bottom half I’ve heard before lol. The top half of your statement may well be true. Philadelphia wins over in scale. Just a much larger city and a bigger region with more jobs despite Bmore having slightly better metrics on income. Scale = you will get tired of Bmore quicker.

Bmore does have a pretty cool maritime culture; crabs and old bay blah blah. I mean I love the city for its contributions to house music alone. That being said, Philly probably has a much cooler cultural output overall; with a better national image despite what you say. Everything from Creed to the wild sports culture to the food culture, Joe Biden and the rest of our “diaspora”, some pretty big names singing it’s praises, Kevin Hart, Bradley Cooper, Tina Fey, Will Smith, The Roots etc. Philly pride is massive. The place is even more inclusive, more cosmopolitan, more international and less racially polarizing I would say.

As for the despair and hopelessness I gotta disagree; despite the fact that we all love the Wire it doesn’t necessarily put the city in the best light; and tbh that’s where people mostly get their image of Bmore from…and not much else. Never mind the fact that the city’s political culture is garbage….a string of mayors in the 21st century worse off than the last. I’d rather have an insular culture where people care about the place than the type of place that continually elects…..disappointments. The new mayor rocks a box fade and sweatpants so maybe he’ll buck the trend and inspire something in the city.

Last edited by PHILLYUPTOWN; 04-17-2023 at 10:50 PM..

Old 04-18-2023, 06:44 AM

7,736 posts, read 5,511,932 times
Did Port Covington ever get built in Baltimore? I remember Under Armour had all those flashy plans for it like a decade ago.

Old 04-18-2023, 07:12 AM

Quote:
The bottom half I’ve heard before lol. The top half of your statement may well be true. Philadelphia wins over in scale. Just a much larger city and a bigger region with more jobs despite Bmore having slightly better metrics on income. Scale = you will get tired of Bmore quicker.

Bmore does have a pretty cool maritime culture; crabs and old bay blah blah. I mean I love the city for its contributions to house music alone. That being said, Philly probably has a much cooler cultural output overall; with a better national image despite what you say. Everything from Creed to the wild sports culture to the food culture, Joe Biden and the rest of our “diaspora”, some pretty big names singing it’s praises, Kevin Hart, Bradley Cooper, Tina Fey, Will Smith, The Roots etc. Philly pride is massive. The place is even more inclusive, more cosmopolitan, more international and less racially polarizing I would say.

As for the despair and hopelessness I gotta disagree; despite the fact that we all love the Wire it doesn’t necessarily put the city in the best light; and tbh that’s where people mostly get their image of Bmore from…and not much else. Never mind the fact that the city’s political culture is garbage….a string of mayors in the 21st century worse off than the last. I’d rather have an insular culture where people care about the place than the type of place that continually elects…..disappointments. The new mayor rocks a box fade and sweatpants so maybe he’ll buck the trend and inspire something in the city.
If we're talking about cultural output, things get interesting. Kensington could very well be the most famous neighborhood in Philly right now. Objectively, Baltimore heavily influences Philly in this day and age, which I've illustrated in previous posts. As far as the current Mayor, Brandon Scott, he too is a disappointment. However, I'm truly impressed at how the city seems to attempting to get its act together. The amount of construction that is currently taking place in Baltimore is something that I've never seen before in the city.

Old 04-18-2023, 07:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thedirtypirate View Post
Did Port Covington ever get built in Baltimore? I remember Under Armour had all those flashy plans for it like a decade ago.
They're building it now. Most of it isn't open to the public yet. Westport waterfront should be starting construction soon as well.

Old 04-18-2023, 07:26 AM

7,736 posts, read 5,511,932 times
Quote:
If we're talking about cultural output, things get interesting. Kensington could very well be the most famous neighborhood in Philly right now. Objectively, Baltimore heavily influences Philly in this day and age, which I've illustrated in previous posts. As far as the current Mayor, Brandon Scott, he too is a disappointment. However, I'm truly impressed at how the city seems to attempting to get its act together. The amount of construction that is currently taking place in Baltimore is something that I've never seen before in the city.

You always have a very fascinating perspective on this topic. I can't imagine living in a world where Baltimore influences Philadelphia more so than the other way around, but that's your opinion.

Quote:
They're building it now. Most of it isn't open to the public yet. Westport waterfront should be starting construction soon as well.

Interesting. That's good. One reason I think Philly has found a lot more success with the Navy Yard is it just receives far more venture capitalism and start-up investment that has filled the new buildings as soon as they've been built. Baltimore has never really been able to capture a bigger piece of the Eds and Meds pie which is a shame.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City