Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which will continue to grow and prosper the most?
Stockton, California 14 22.22%
Boise, Idaho 49 77.78%
Voters: 63. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-16-2022, 01:24 PM

3,416 posts, read 2,453,636 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Montclair View Post
The prevailing politics of Idaho are one of the biggest reasons to steer clear of the place. Hard Pass.
The fact Boise is getting bluer everyday, agreed. Since you brought up politics, how about the most liberal city in America (SF) recalling three progressive school board members by 75-80%. So much for the recall being driven by right wing lunatics? Their DA is next. Maybe this is a sign we can get back to some normalcy in this state?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-16-2022, 01:28 PM

6,885 posts, read 8,263,485 times
Just checked,
There several non-stop flights from Sacramento to Boise on Alaska and Southwest I think a 3-5 day visit is in order.

Which reminds, not took long ago, I chatted with a young couple who was in a Southwest ticket line at Sacramento airport and they were talking how they had moved from the Lodi-Stockton area to Boise in the past year, mixed reviews. I think it was the first I had heard of folks moving to Boise "in droves".

And I've noticed a lot of kids from NorCal go to Boise State.

Old 02-16-2022, 02:11 PM

4,211 posts, read 3,289,519 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Felt38 View Post
Maybe so, FAA classifies it as a "medium hub". With 3-4 million passengers per year, it is the 61st busiest in the U.S.

But this thread you started is about Stockton vs Boise, yes?

Stockton's airport is about 50,000 per year. My guess is most people there go to Bay Area airports, but ooof - that's a nasty drive.

Losfrisco, I realize it might be hard to leave lovely La Jolla and actually visit these "provincial backwaters", but if you did, you might realize why Boise is winning this one.
I've probably flown out of LAX as many times as SAN, because in many cases flights are cheaper and overall travel time is shorter using a superior airport two hours away.

In Stockton, I'd have access to SMF, SFO, OAK, SJC all within 90 minutes. Assuming you only fly a few times a year, I"d take that combo over a 6th tier airport.

However, points aren't awarded for poaching off of other metro's airports, so you can go ahead and put this point in Boise's column.

Old 02-16-2022, 02:24 PM

37,127 posts, read 39,357,090 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Losfrisco View Post
I've probably flown out of LAX as many times as SAN, because in many cases flights are cheaper and overall travel time is shorter using a superior airport two hours away.

In Stockton, I'd have access to SMF, SFO, OAK, SJC all within 90 minutes. Assuming you only fly a few times a year, I"d take that combo over a 6th tier airport.

However, points aren't awarded for poaching off of other metro's airports, so you can go ahead and put this point in Boise's column.

It'd be nice if there was a frequent train from Stockton to any one of these airports.

Old 02-16-2022, 02:35 PM

8,323 posts, read 5,481,561 times
Other than diversity, Id much rather be in Boise.

Old 02-16-2022, 02:38 PM

4,211 posts, read 3,289,519 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chimérique View Post
Just checked,
There several non-stop flights from Sacramento to Boise on Alaska and Southwest I think a 3-5 day visit is in order.

Which reminds, not took long ago, I chatted with a young couple who was in a Southwest ticket line at Sacramento airport and they were talking how they had moved from the Lodi-Stockton area to Boise in the past year, mixed reviews. I think it was the first I had heard of folks moving to Boise "in droves".

And I've noticed a lot of kids from NorCal go to Boise State.
Personal anecdote-

I took the train from Seattle to Bellingham once, a place that was enjoying similar "everyone is moving there" hype, at least regionally. I planned at least a 12 hour visit to check it out.

Within three hours of arrival I was already checking Amtrak for an earlier train back to Seattle. To me Boise seems like a one night trip, just me though.

Last edited by Losfrisco; 02-16-2022 at 02:47 PM..

Old 02-16-2022, 02:41 PM

6,374 posts, read 4,989,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TacoSoup View Post
The fact Boise is getting bluer everyday, agreed. Since you brought up politics, how about the most liberal city in America (SF) recalling three progressive school board members by 75-80%. So much for the recall being driven by right wing lunatics? Their DA is next. Maybe this is a sign we can get back to some normalcy in this state?
What does this have to do with anything?

The city limits of Boise, like almost every other city >100k pop. in the US, have recently tipped into the D column, yeah. It's still hardly a progressive mecca, and even if it were, it's constrained by the rest of the state. ID is one of only two states that still doesn't change sex on birth certificates, for example.

Old 02-16-2022, 03:27 PM

1,402 posts, read 3,362,613 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheTimidBlueBars View Post
What does this have to do with anything?

The city limits of Boise, like almost every other city >100k pop. in the US, have recently tipped into the D column, yeah. It's still hardly a progressive mecca, and even if it were, it's constrained by the rest of the state. ID is one of only two states that still doesn't change sex on birth certificates, for example.
#yawn.

Boise is progressive. You are correct the state government causes constraint but it's a battle that will continue.

Old 02-16-2022, 03:37 PM
mlb

4,971 posts, read 4,449,628 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Losfrisco View Post

This is interesting. Our airport here in Monterey is adding flights all the time. I would MUCH rather drive and park at a smaller airport like Monterey than have to deal with the cluster**** that is SJC, OAK or SFO. Because - if you think it’s just a 90 minute drive - and you hit rush hour? Turns into 3 hours.

I’d pay more to avoid that.

Old 02-16-2022, 03:54 PM

36,653 posts, read 67,487,099 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
It'd be nice if there was a frequent train from Stockton to any one of these airports.
Many folks out therr drive to the Dublin/Pleasanton or Antioch BART stations and ride to SFO or OAK airports.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City