Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which will continue to grow and prosper the most?
Stockton, California 14 22.22%
Boise, Idaho 49 77.78%
Voters: 63. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-17-2022, 10:49 AM

345 posts, read 455,455 times

Advertisements

OK, Politics is one area I would give Stockton points on from a statewide perspective.

I would rate Boise better for street level activity, urbanity, nearby outdoors within 15 minutes.

Climate is a wash, as some prefer no snow and others want 4 seasons. Boise's winters are usually mild, but not always.

For Day trips, I would go with Stockton, as it is no contest with Yosemite, NAPA Valley, Bay Area, Sacto, Reno, etc nearby.
Boise does have the Owyhee Mountains and Canyons, Sun Valley, Payette River whitewater, and McCall/Cascade with their gorgeous lakes.

Who wins these categories?
Crime
Skiing
Immediate wine country (Lodi vs Snake River Valley)
Friendliness of people
Pollution
Biking
Kayaking/Canoeing
Sailing
Fishing/Hunting
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-17-2022, 12:22 PM

36,653 posts, read 67,487,099 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Felt38 View Post

Crime-Boise probably, Stockton is high crime

Skiing-I dont know but Stockton isnt that far from the Sierra Nevada

Immediate wine country (Lodi vs Snake River Valley)-Stockton

Friendliness of people-Boise, people there were nice generally speaking imo, Stockton is a mix of country people and big city attitude(from all the bay area expats) without the big city amenities.

Pollution-Boise

Biking-Boise

Kayaking/Canoeing-Boise

Sailing-Boise

Fishing/Hunting-Boise

All this outdoorsy stuff favors Boise for sure, and as I stated earlier, if we are looking just at cities proper, Boise just crushes Stockton. My bestest friend from church moved from the Bay Area to Meridan, ID a few years ago because he was expanding his family's business that way, so we have visited a few times and it's a great area, and I can understand why folks would want to leave the rat race here for a calmer pace and less drama there---PLUS keep in mind we're talking about Stockton, which is quite possibly the most disjointed city in California as far as the lack of established neighborhoods and amenties. Stockton has a downtown but it is really depressed, Boise's downtown is clean, has amenities, and a pleasant place to be.

At the same time, one can't ignore where Stockton is located, 80-something miles from San Francisco.

Anyhow, to each his own.

Old 02-17-2022, 09:06 PM

4,211 posts, read 3,289,519 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chimérique View Post
Average Zillow Home Cost/Value

January 2022

Stockton $434,490

Boise $523,760

As all the west's "medial darling" cities start to resemble California housing costs.
I'm starting to think that the historically "bad" parts of the Central Valley are starting to look a lot better these days.

Boise is way too cold!

Average month temps

Stockton
Nov - 64/43
Dec - 54/39
Jan - 54/39
Feb - 61/42
Mar - 66/45

Boise
Nov - 45/31
Dec - 37/24
Jan - 37/24
Feb - 46/29
Mar - 56/35

Any Coastal California "weather sensitive" person looking to relocate should know any place besides the Central Valley is not going to give you "California Weather". Just about every other place is going to be either hotter than the Central Valley in the summer and/or colder than the Central Valley in the winter. Boise included.
TBH, Stockton is a steal then. That's almost half of San Diego for still one of the best climates, all the things the river/delta brings, and skiing is almost as accessible in Stockton as it is in Boise.

Going off Redfin, the average home in Boise is more than Portland!

Old 02-20-2022, 01:38 PM

2,896 posts, read 1,998,773 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Montclair View Post
Crime-Boise probably, Stockton is high crime

Skiing-I dont know but Stockton isnt that far from the Sierra Nevada

Immediate wine country (Lodi vs Snake River Valley)-Stockton

Friendliness of people-Boise, people there were nice generally speaking imo, Stockton is a mix of country people and big city attitude(from all the bay area expats) without the big city amenities.

Pollution-Boise

Biking-Boise

Kayaking/Canoeing-Boise

Sailing-Boise

Fishing/Hunting-Boise

All this outdoorsy stuff favors Boise for sure, and as I stated earlier, if we are looking just at cities proper, Boise just crushes Stockton. My bestest friend from church moved from the Bay Area to Meridan, ID a few years ago because he was expanding his family's business that way, so we have visited a few times and it's a great area, and I can understand why folks would want to leave the rat race here for a calmer pace and less drama there---PLUS keep in mind we're talking about Stockton, which is quite possibly the most disjointed city in California as far as the lack of established neighborhoods and amenties. Stockton has a downtown but it is really depressed, Boise's downtown is clean, has amenities, and a pleasant place to be.

At the same time, one can't ignore where Stockton is located, 80-something miles from San Francisco.

Anyhow, to each his own.
You can be on a boat and sailing the Pacific ocean from Stockton. Wtf are you sailing in Boise? A river?

Stockton summer = Boise winter
Bad but tolerable
Boise doesn't have mild winters, Stockton does.

Worse air quality in Stockton, but boises air quality will be worsening because of the large increases in people. Californias stricter standards will be helpful in the long run.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Felt38 View Post
OK, Politics is one area I would give Stockton points on from a statewide perspective.

I would rate Boise better for street level activity, urbanity, nearby outdoors within 15 minutes.

Climate is a wash, as some prefer no snow and others want 4 seasons. Boise's winters are usually mild, but not always.

For Day trips, I would go with Stockton, as it is no contest with Yosemite, NAPA Valley, Bay Area, Sacto, Reno, etc nearby.
Boise does have the Owyhee Mountains and Canyons, Sun Valley, Payette River whitewater, and McCall/Cascade with their gorgeous lakes.

Crime
Skiing
Immediate wine country (Lodi vs Snake River Valley)
Friendliness of people
Pollution
Biking
Kayaking/Canoeing
Sailing
Fishing/Hunting

Old 02-20-2022, 03:27 PM

638 posts, read 348,077 times
Entire state of California is really in serious decline due to cost of living, homelessness, inequality and overall deterioration.

Old 02-21-2022, 05:53 AM

345 posts, read 455,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dontbelievehim View Post
You can be on a boat and sailing the Pacific ocean from Stockton. Wtf are you sailing in Boise? A river?

Bad but tolerable

Worse air quality in Stockton, but boises air quality will be worsening because of the large increases in people. Californias stricter standards will be helpful in the long run.

Sailing - Payette and Cascade Lakes.

Old 02-21-2022, 07:37 AM
mlb

4,971 posts, read 4,449,628 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thealpinist View Post
Entire state of California is really in serious decline due to cost of living, homelessness, inequality and overall deterioration.
Not from our vantage point.

Old 02-21-2022, 08:54 AM

2,223 posts, read 1,394,054 times
Quote:

Bad but tolerable

Lmao yea man I'm sure that Stockton, CA is full of people sailing the Pacific on a regular basis.

Old 02-21-2022, 10:20 AM

37,127 posts, read 39,357,090 times
Quote:

Bad but tolerable

You technically can be, but the trip out to the Pacific coast isn't actually all that fast and so I don't think it's really a particularly common thing to do for people in Stockton.

The Central Valley's bad air quality is a combination of many things that are a lot more than just the sheer number of people living there. Its geography makes it a bit of trap for air pollutants and much of the main industry of the Central Valley relies heavily on things that cause a lot of air pollution. I do think California's striving to make headway on this, but I'm not sure we'll see the average annual air quality of Stockton become better than that of Boise in the near or mid term future. I do think it can within this decade get dramatically better than what it has been in the recent past though.

Old 02-21-2022, 11:33 AM

4,394 posts, read 4,284,253 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chimérique View Post
This is why I would not want to live in Boise:

Feb 16, 2022

Boise 39F - cloudy and cold

Stockton 70F - Bright Sun, light breeze, clean air, a 45 minute drive-up the Sierras, Highway 88 or 4 you have all the snow you'll ever want with full sun and pleasant.
Boise winters are actually milder than it’s northern latitude would suggest.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City