Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-22-2022, 08:47 AM

24,559 posts, read 18,248,333 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ForeignCrunch View Post
Having a B-list fashion industry does not make a populace fashionable. We are talking about the US, not Italy. Obviously the third largest city in the US will have a shopping scene and some fashion industry within the urban core. But so what? My point was only that people in Chicago generally dress very, very casually to the point of looking like a casting call from Wayne's World or Roseanne. It's not a particularly wealthy city so this probably can be expected. If it makes you feel any better I lived in St. Louis and found it exactly the same, and certainly I don't consider St. Louis glamorous either.
I was watching the Inter Milan-Liverpool Champions League match recently. The English announcers were commenting about the dress of the people in the stands compared to the UK. Designer skiwear is how they described it. I ski and I could pick out a few distinctive brands like Kjus and Bogner. I’m laughing thinking about what you’d see panning the crowd at a January Bears game where a Starter jacket is high fashion. Makes Wembley Stadium look like a Paris fashion show.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-22-2022, 08:48 AM

7,409 posts, read 6,547,418 times
Amusing story about my first visit to Peter Luger in Brooklyn. I visited a good friend who worked on Wall St on a hot summer day, not planning on going to dinner. Wore shorts and a polo shirt. After a few cocktails, he surprised me by getting a car and said, impromptu, let’s head over to Luger, which I had never been to. Even though it’s German beer hall decor they still had a long pants dress requirement. We initially got turned away, but a $100 bill (from my friend) took care of the issue and I was asked to make sure the cloth napkin covered my hairy legs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonBornMassMade View Post
I've only been turned away for a dress code violation in Boston. I think its untrue people dress up in Dallas and Atlanta- but not Boston.

Old 02-22-2022, 08:54 AM

Quote:
No I totally get that. But they're still there and there seems to be an increasing number of celebrities with homes in Vegas; Floyd Mayweather, Mike Tyson, Carlos Santana, Shaq, Steve Aoki and quite a few more.
https://www.ranker.com/list/celebrit...elebrity-lists
Those are tax addresses. Just like Nashville where Tennessee has no state income tax. If you make big money and don’t earn it working in the state, you’re nuts to declare California or New York City as your legal address. Incline Village is the tax address for tons of Bay Area jillionaires for the same reason. Same for Florida.

Old 02-22-2022, 09:03 AM

21,629 posts, read 12,754,191 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffD View Post
Those are tax addresses. Just like Nashville where Tennessee has no state income tax. If you make big money and don’t earn it working in the state, you’re nuts to declare California or New York City as your legal address. Incline Village is the tax address for tons of Bay Area jillionaires for the same reason. Same for Florida.
maybe maybe- Ive considered that. I do know Shaq sold his LA home before moving to Vegas. I cant speak from a position of authority on this though.

Old 02-22-2022, 09:06 AM

5,016 posts, read 3,916,343 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ForeignCrunch View Post
Having a B-list fashion industry does not make a populace fashionable. We are talking about the US, not Italy. Obviously the third largest city in the US will have a shopping scene and some fashion industry within the urban core. But so what? My point was only that people in Chicago generally dress very, very casually to the point of looking like a casting call from Wayne's World or Roseanne. It's not a particularly wealthy city so this probably can be expected. If it makes you feel any better I lived in St. Louis and found it exactly the same, and certainly I don't consider St. Louis glamorous either.
This can be said for any and every city.

Chicago's high fashion has a higher ceiling than most. I'm really, really surprised that this is even a conversation. I thought this was universally known.

If you want to compare average joe to average joe, the outcome will be the same regardless of the city. The only difference in attire will be based on weather.

Fashion in Chicago is loud. It's designer focused. It's expensive. It's a "thing". More, if not way more than cities like Boston or Seattle.

Old 02-22-2022, 09:12 AM

7,409 posts, read 6,547,418 times
I consider people in the city of Chicago (talking city, not suburbs) well dressed and fashionable from my more than 2 dozen visits….and Magnificent Mile is a top 3-4 fashion shopping district in the country.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mwj119 View Post

Chicago's high fashion has a higher ceiling than most. I'm really, really surprised that this is even a conversation. I thought this was universally known.

If you want to compare average joe to average joe, the outcome will be the same regardless of the city. The only difference in attire will be based on weather.

Fashion in Chicago is loud. It's designer focused. It's expensive. It's a "thing". More, if not way more than cities like Boston or Seattle.

Old 02-22-2022, 09:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elchevere View Post
Amusing story about my first visit to Peter Luger in Brooklyn. I visited a good friend who worked on Wall St on a hot summer day, not planning on going to dinner. Wore shorts and a polo shirt. After a few cocktails, he surprised me by getting a car and said, impromptu, let’s head over to Luger, which I had never been to. Even though it’s German beer hall decor they still had a long pants dress requirement. We initially got turned away, but a $100 bill (from my friend) took care of the issue and I was asked to make sure the cloth napkin covered my hairy legs.
I had the same situation at Society on High in Boston and this was just a brunch/day party. Not dinner. And that is not what Id see as an especially high-end Boston establishment. It hosts Hip Hop parties on weekends and Boxing match party vieiwing. But you have to dress well (I did get in eventually). Happened to me once in theNorth End as well.

Look at this dress in this photo of the Eastern Standard in Boston and tell me, people, don't dress sup to go out in Boston. kind of preposterous. https://www.bostonglobe.com/2012/08/...32M/story.html But it depends if its after a Sox game or Marathon Monday you can get in very casually, but dinner service on a regular day is different.

There are a few glamorous nightclubs in Boston, but definitely few. Namely The Grand, Memoire, and Bijou.

Indeed there was a Twitter account dedicated to foreign cars like Lamborghini Aventadors you might see on the streets of Boston. https://mobile.twitter.com/bostoncarspottr

Here's an article on foreign students and their luxury cars in Boston: https://www.bostonglobe.com/metro/20...hUO/story.html

"The luxury vehicles that adorn some Boston campuses are a sign of the enormous wealth that pours into the city each year."

here's an article about people rentin luxury vehicles: https://www.bostonglobe.com/lifestyl...DVN/story.html

Bob Cohen's wife has never shared his love for exotic automobiles.

"She just wants a car that gets her to the store," says Cohen, a jeweler based in Hampton, N.H.

Cohen learned to drive a performance car years ago in a rear-engine Porsche 911 Turbo. He now owns a rare, pearl orange Lamborghini Gallardo SE — "my dream car" — which carried a sticker price of almost $250,000. Last year he bought a second attention-grabber, a new yellow Corvette Stingray.

Last edited by BostonBornMassMade; 02-22-2022 at 10:01 AM..

Old 02-22-2022, 09:50 AM

Quote:

Boston is home to stores like Riccardi and tons of huge high-end designers there is a mall dedicated exclusively to it.

Go to Concepts you find A Bathing Ape, Yves Saint Laurent Off-White, Alexander Mcqueen, Balmain...Stuff I have no chance of finding here in Seattle. Certain brands I just mentioned you literally cannot find in Seattle(Yves Saint Laurent, A Bathing Ape. Or you can only find them at 1 store versus 3 or 4in Boston.

Concepts is only found in Boston, NYC, Shanghai and Dubai.. https://cncpts.com/pages/locations

Riccardi: https://riccardiboston.com/

Bodega is another Boston (high-end streetwear) boutique that only has another location in Los Angeles: https://bdgastore.com/pages/boston-store

You act like Newbury Street isn't lined with Hermes, True Religon, Armani, Barbour, Bang and Olufsen but rather it's like all Brooks Brothers and J. Crew this is very far from the reality. Am I to believe these stores aren't sustained by people living in Boston?

To be totally honest I've never thought of Chicago as glamorous I assumed there's some glamour just as a function of its size. But ive never heard it as a fashion city any more than Boston. I don't know it well to say much more than that. As I said earlier i saw it as a capital of middle America known more for meatpacking, da bears, and gang banging than fashion or glamour. You could say the same sort of thing with Boston.

Outside of NYC LA MIA, I think it become a splitting hairs thing. This is why my initial comment was "this list makes sense"

Old 02-22-2022, 10:20 AM

Quote:
I had the same situation at Society on High in Boston and this was just a brunch/day party. Not dinner. And that is not what Id see as an especially high-end Boston establishment. It hosts Hip Hop parties on weekends and Boxing match party vieiwing. But you have to dress well (I did get in eventually). Happened to me once in theNorth End as well.

Look at this dress in this photo of the Eastern Standard in Boston and tell me, people, don't dress sup to go out in Boston. kind of preposterous. https://www.bostonglobe.com/2012/08/...32M/story.html But it depends if its after a Sox game or Marathon Monday you can get in very casually, but dinner service on a regular day is different.

There are a few glamorous nightclubs in Boston, but definitely few. Namely The Grand, Memoire, and Bijou.

Indeed there was a Twitter account dedicated to foreign cars like Lamborghini Aventadors you might see on the streets of Boston. https://mobile.twitter.com/bostoncarspottr

Here's an article on foreign students and their luxury cars in Boston: https://www.bostonglobe.com/metro/20...hUO/story.html

"The luxury vehicles that adorn some Boston campuses are a sign of the enormous wealth that pours into the city each year."

here's an article about people rentin luxury vehicles: https://www.bostonglobe.com/lifestyl...DVN/story.html

Bob Cohen's wife has never shared his love for exotic automobiles.

"She just wants a car that gets her to the store," says Cohen, a jeweler based in Hampton, N.H.

Cohen learned to drive a performance car years ago in a rear-engine Porsche 911 Turbo. He now owns a rare, pearl orange Lamborghini Gallardo SE — "my dream car" — which carried a sticker price of almost $250,000. Last year he bought a second attention-grabber, a new yellow Corvette Stingray.
That’s absurd in Boston. One of my sister and brother-in-law’s best friends is “Lambo Larry”. A 7 figure income industrial psychologist in Vancouver. The roads there are considerably better than Boston and he unloaded the car after a few years because it was undriveable on Vancouver streets. Boston pot holes are far worse than Vancouver.

Old 02-22-2022, 10:22 AM

3,444 posts, read 3,372,483 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffD View Post
I was watching the Inter Milan-Liverpool Champions League match recently. The English announcers were commenting about the dress of the people in the stands compared to the UK. Designer skiwear is how they described it. I ski and I could pick out a few distinctive brands like Kjus and Bogner. I’m laughing thinking about what you’d see panning the crowd at a January Bears game where a Starter jacket is high fashion. Makes Wembley Stadium look like a Paris fashion show.
For which cities, were being described here? I was googling to figure out which city(ies) and stadium(s) you were talking about here, but I couldn't definitively figure out which city(ies) and stadium(s) shown on TV you were referring to. That said you'd probably see such a divide(where people who weren't in the upper class, care less about fashion), anywhere in the US. And honestly while it might surprise those British soccer announcers that people attending that match were less into fashion, who cares at the end of the day?

Quote:

Hmmm, really? I love in Chicago, and outside of the touristy areas(i.e. Michigan Ave, Lincoln Park, West Loop/Randolph Street, etc), I truly get the sense fewer people are into fashion here vs. in other cities(Miami, NYC, DC, etc). Sure a few people in Chicago might be into fashion, but I get the sense fashion isn't as hugely on the minds of an average Chicagoian, vs. someone in say like NYC.

That said, I'm sure there are some people even in NYC, where fashion isn't as highly on their minds. You may as well say this would depend on how wealthy a neighborhood is, to be honest here.

Btw as for the person who mentioned where high end fashion stores are in Chicago, those stores are NOT so much located on Michigan Ave, and more located towards like Oak Street and Rush Street. I don't think such stores you'll find near Rush and Oak in Chicago are quite as high end as Worth Avenue in Palm Beach, or Rodeo Drive in LA though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City