Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-24-2022, 12:28 PM

119 posts, read 37,049 times

Advertisements

And I'm well aware that hip-hop isn't the only aspect of black culture. But what other way can you make your city more identifiable to the masses? DC isn't Tier One if we talking about being identifiable or popularity. I've given multiple examples and y'll keep dragging the argument back to uniqueness. And I already gave credit for DC making the most out of the government sector.

If you can't tell the difference between NYC vs. Philly vs. Boston, then you have bad ears. No way does Meek Mill or Sigel sound like NYC. The Philly accent is rhotic, NYC is non-rhotic, that makes a significant difference.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-24-2022, 12:34 PM

409 posts, read 333,025 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 908Boi View Post
Yeah one of the first things I noticed moving down here was most of the popular rap music is from down south, specifically Atlanta. Local rappers barely get radio play. NYC and Philly rap (what we listen to in NJ) was non existent until those songs popped on a national level.
Yeah, it's too much hate from the radio stations out here and local rappers out here are very street and/at times messy with their business plus they aren't appealing to the mainstream. Unless it's Shy or Wale, they are not trying to spin local rappers except once a week on Fridays lol. None of the "tastemakers" are tapped into what the DMV youth are really listening to.

With that being said, I stopped paying attention to local radio tastemakers a long time ago. The hottest rapper in the DMV with the "streets" is MoneyMarr, hands down. You wouldn't know that because of the lack of support from local radio.

As for Philly/NYC rap, yeah we don't really bump it that much out here. Down South rap is sonically closer to our style of rap hence why it's so popular.

Last edited by MDfinest; 03-24-2022 at 12:56 PM..

Old 03-24-2022, 12:46 PM

2,234 posts, read 1,116,133 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the resident09 View Post
Lol I'm from closer to Philly, Jersey, than you are and NYC about the same distance. You're talking over your own points. All Jersey, NYC, Boston etc. sound the same to someone from outside of their region. Philly tries to sound like them, but are caught in the mix. I know them just as well. Their accent is not more "unique" than anywhere. It all blends in with Baltimore and Jersey. DC accent is the most unique accent from the mid-Atlantic up. You are disqualifying yourself with every new post you make here.

You still have no answers for to my legitimate questions. All you did was name 2 slang words, and battle rappers. SMDH. In the 2000's and late 90's you couldn't differentiate a Jersey, NYC, or Philly bol rocking Pelle Pelle with Girbaud jeans and Timbs for nothing. Meanwhile a cat from DC would be instantly identifiable. The trend setters of the East Coast.

"

The thread is not about ethnic Whites, it's about local Black culture uniqueness.
That's back when NYC had AA culture on lock... Amazing how times have changed.

A generic Philly fit consist of 990's, Adidas track pants, white Polo T, Nike thermafit and Pooh Shiesty mask.

I'll be the first to admit and give credit where it's due. DC has the game on lock wrt to Philly pop culture and lifestyle. The stuff we're rocking is what DC was doing back in the 90's. The NYC-Philly influence is damn near dead.

In 2022, I find myself having more in common with a DC/Bmore dude than a NYC boul. DC is certainly underrated for it's modern cultural impact.

Old 03-24-2022, 12:58 PM

21,628 posts, read 12,718,846 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by upperechelon View Post
How is the Black Philly similar to Black NYC, when the Philly accent is rhotic in vs. the non-rhoticity of NYC. I can hear the argument for Boston and NYC since both accents are non-rhotic, but I can still tell the difference. Black NJ to me is more of a standard/default east coast accent with nothing really distinctive.

I brought up ethnic whites because their speech patterns have an influence on Black NYC, Philly, NJ, and Boston. DC has none, so y'll style is really just upper south(NC,VA) with local DC slang. If you watch an old Michael Jordan interview before he cleaned up his accent, he does that thing that Marylanders do with the "u" sound as well. Again bro, don't spin me, I'm very in tune with y'll culture due to my fam down there. Unique, but no influence at all.
I never said Philly. Because youre right.

You’re doubly right about ethnic white influence eon black speech. Lotta black New Yorkers talk hella Jewish/ Jewish mannerisms.

Old 03-24-2022, 01:08 PM

809 posts, read 467,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonBornMassMade View Post
I never said Philly. Because youre right.

You’re doubly right about ethnic white influence eon black speech. Lotta black New Yorkers talk hella Jewish/ Jewish mannerisms.
In the South - it tends to be the reserve. AAVE influencing the local (born and raised) White population speech patterns.

Old 03-24-2022, 01:10 PM

2,750 posts, read 2,415,821 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by upperechelon View Post
And I'm well aware that hip-hop isn't the only aspect of black culture. But what other way can you make your city more identifiable to the masses? DC isn't Tier One if we talking about being identifiable or popularity. I've given multiple examples and y'll keep dragging the argument back to uniqueness. And I already gave credit for DC making the most out of the government sector.

If you can't tell the difference between NYC vs. Philly vs. Boston, then you have bad ears. No way does Meek Mill or Sigel sound like NYC. The Philly accent is rhotic, NYC is non-rhotic, that makes a significant difference.
In my opinion, things DC's cultural exports include comedians like Dave Chappelle and Martin Lawrence, music: gogo and r&b/soul e.g. Marvin Gaye, Chuck Brown, Ginuwine, Johnny Gill (only one in New Edition not from Boston), Tank, Black Broadway, Duke Ellington, history like being the biggest black urban population for much of America's history, Howard University, birth place of most of the BGLOs, and black bougie/black upper class culture. I'm not a native so I'm sure I'm missing a few things but that's what comes to mind. I can concede that a lot of DC's contributions were pre 2010.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MDfinest View Post
Yeah, it's too much hate from the radio stations out here and local rappers out here are very street and/at times messy with their business plus they aren't appealing to the mainstream. Unless it's Shy or Wale, they are not trying to spin local rappers except once a week on Fridays lol. None of the "tastemakers" are tapped into what the DMV youth are really listening to.

With that being said, I stopped paying attention to local radio tastemakers a long time ago. The hottest rapper in the DMV with the "streets" is No Savage, hands down. You wouldn't know that because of the lack of support from local radio.

As for Philly/NYC rap, yeah we don't really bump it that much out here. Down South rap is sonically closer to our style of rap hence why it's so popular.
Yeah I've never listened to No Savage or Moneymarr (i just peeped the edit lol) and while i've heard and listen to a few DMV rappers, I'd have no idea that he's so popular considering i'm a transplant and don't really like DMV hip hop in general lol. It's very interesting as in NYC, influencers and radio make a lot of effort to "keep their ear to the streets" when it comes to hip hop.

Another thing I've noticed is drill is very popular from Boston down to NJ and then it just drops lol. Just shows that DMV is more influenced by the South musically.

Old 03-24-2022, 01:23 PM

409 posts, read 333,025 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 908Boi View Post
In my opinion, things DC's cultural exports include comedians like Dave Chappelle and Martin Lawrence, music: gogo and r&b/soul e.g. Marvin Gaye, Chuck Brown, Ginuwine, Johnny Gill (only one in New Edition not from Boston), Tank, Black Broadway, Duke Ellington, history like being the biggest black urban population for much of America's history, Howard University, birth place of most of the BGLOs, and black bougie/black upper class culture. I'm not a native so I'm sure I'm missing a few things but that's what comes to mind. I can concede that a lot of DC's contributions were pre 2010.

Yeah I've never listened to No Savage or Moneymarr (i just peeped the edit lol) and while i've heard and listen to a few DMV rappers, I'd have no idea that he's so popular considering i'm a transplant and don't really like DMV hip hop in general lol. It's very interesting as in NYC, influencers and radio make a lot of effort to "keep their ear to the streets" when it comes to hip hop.
Yeah, last minute edit lol. I realized MoneyMarr had a few more notable collabs than No Savage did last year.

Nah, I can respect that DMV rap isn't your thing.

I feel the thing with NYC is that it has fewer transplants, it's a bigger city, there's more money pumped into its local scene and less of an insular culture so I think that's why the "tastemakers" are so invested in their local scene

Old 03-24-2022, 01:28 PM

14,011 posts, read 14,995,436 times
I know a lot of cities have an identifiable and robust black culture but isn’t Atlanta, Charlotte, Philly, Cincinnati, DC etc kind of lacking on the unique part?

Much like Hispanics NYC and Boston have a fundamentally different black population. It’s not majority African American. (Just like Mexicans don’t dominate the Hispanic population)

Old 03-24-2022, 01:29 PM

2,750 posts, read 2,415,821 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MDfinest View Post
Yeah, last minute edit lol. I realized MoneyMarr had a few more notable collabs than No Savage did last year.

Nah, I can respect that DMV rap isn't your thing.

I feel the thing with NYC is that it has fewer transplants, it's a bigger city, there's more money pumped into its local scene and less of an insular culture so I think that's why the "tastemakers" are so invested in their local scene
I'm a big Wale fan and I do like Goldlink as well but yeah most DMV rappers just aren't my thing. I'll sooner listen to a NY drill rapper than some of the local rappers. I just checked out "Reaper" by No Savage and he's not bad.

Hip hop (and the arts in general) is also just way more apart of the culture and economy of NYC than it is in DC so that plays a role.

Old 03-24-2022, 01:39 PM

1,449 posts, read 2,185,449 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by btownboss4 View Post
I know a lot of cities have an identifiable and robust black culture but isn’t Atlanta, Charlotte, Philly, Cincinnati, DC etc kind of lacking on the unique part?

Much like Hispanics NYC and Boston have a fundamentally different black population. It’s not majority African American. (Just like Mexicans don’t dominate the Hispanic population)
Excuse me but this statement is clearly out of touch. I can also tell that you're not black and you are blatantly showing your ignorance on this subject matter.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City