Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Houston vs Dallas for Black Professionals
Houston 54 69.23%
Dallas 24 30.77%
Voters: 78. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-23-2022, 05:30 PM

13,727 posts, read 15,751,203 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Clutch View Post
I don't think anyone would disagree with you on the point that NYC/DC/ATL have the most black people with college degrees. But the point you made in your other post along the lines of "obviously the more black people you have, the greater the gap in black businesses is" isn't true. I don't have the stats but Houston does have a notable volume of black businesses relative to the population and it doesn't surprise me that the gap is so low because a lot of people (of all colors) move to Houston (and Texas as a whole) specifically to start businesses due to the business-friendly nature of the area. If it was as simple as "NYC/DC/ATL have more black people so obviously there's a bigger gap when it comes to black businesses" wouldn't it be true that less black/smaller metros would have an inherent advantage over Houston in that same vein?

TLDR version - it doesn't surprise me that Houston has one of the largest (relative to the total black population),strongest black business communities in the country, DC/NYC/ATL included.
That’s fair and you’re probably right, but the thread is about Black professionals so educational attainment and median income among Black people is a bigger indicator of that.

If we’re being honest, you don’t even need to be professional to start a business. Plenty of Black people have businesses that wouldn’t be considered Black professionals among the Black elite. I guess we would have to decide whether this comparison involves social class. I don’t know how important that is for Houston and Dallas.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-23-2022, 06:05 PM

21,629 posts, read 12,754,191 times
Quote:
. I don't have the stats but Houston does have a notable volume of black businesses relative to the population and it doesn't surprise me that the gap is so low because a lot of people (of all colors) move to Houston (and Texas as a whole) specifically to start businesses due to the business-friendly nature of the area.
very true

Old 05-24-2022, 02:07 AM

2,387 posts, read 2,340,269 times
What about Black professionals 35 and over? Someone who is into the pink collar field. Doesn't have to be 6 figures but not too far off. More urban/dense(with sidewalks) but lack of an underclass like up north. Middle class, basically.

Last edited by Marv95; 05-24-2022 at 02:19 AM..

Old 05-24-2022, 07:33 AM

2,750 posts, read 2,419,379 times
Quote:
I don't think anyone would disagree with you on the point that NYC/DC/ATL have the most black people with college degrees. But the point you made in your other post along the lines of "obviously the more black people you have, the greater the gap in black businesses is" isn't true. I don't have the stats but Houston does have a notable volume of black businesses relative to the population and it doesn't surprise me that the gap is so low because a lot of people (of all colors) move to Houston (and Texas as a whole) specifically to start businesses due to the business-friendly nature of the area. If it was as simple as "NYC/DC/ATL have more black people so obviously there's a bigger gap when it comes to black businesses" wouldn't it be true that less black/smaller metros would have an inherent advantage over Houston in that same vein?

TLDR version - it doesn't surprise me that Houston has one of the largest (relative to the total black population),strongest black business communities in the country, DC/NYC/ATL included.
Do Houston have more black owned businesses than Dallas?

Based on this thread it seems like Houston is the strong #4 in black American for young professionals. (NYC/DC/ATL being 1-3 no order).

I do have big reservations on the state government/politics however. Personally, I would not move to Houston or Dallas because of the state government, regardless of how nice the cities are. I wonder if any other black professionals here feel the same.

Old 05-24-2022, 07:50 AM

8,333 posts, read 5,488,934 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 908Boi View Post
I do have big reservations on the state government/politics however. Personally, I would not move to Houston or Dallas because of the state government, regardless of how nice the cities are. I wonder if any other black professionals here feel the same.
The state government here is garbage. But the state governments in California and New York are also garbage. It just depends on the type of garbage one is willing to tolerate. The low regulation but Draconian Bible Thumping kind or the over regulation, in your business, over taxed kind.

Old 05-24-2022, 08:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by As Above So Below... View Post
The state government here is garbage. But the state governments in California and New York are also garbage. It just depends on the type of garbage one is willing to tolerate.
Eh. Of those three states, there are clear differences particularly in taxation, public services, public education, infrastructure, abortion rights, gun laws, etc.

I suppose it definitely depends on your personal politics and what you're willing to tolerate, but a place like Texas, while fostering a state where one can do quite well economically, seems openly hostile to folks like me and that look like me. I think it's important in these discussions to not only talk about what city is better for black folks but also how the state government can affect one's lived experiences there. For example I would be vary vary wary of raising black children in Texas.

Old 05-24-2022, 08:06 AM

93,255 posts, read 123,898,066 times
This might have been covered, but I'm curious if Dallas has any city neighborhoods that would appeal to black professionals or that they go with?

Also, between the Best Southwest outside of Dallas or the Fort Bend suburbs, which would you say has the higher black middle class suburban concentration?

Old 05-24-2022, 09:41 AM

12,735 posts, read 21,774,364 times
Quote:
Do Houston have more black owned businesses than Dallas?

Based on this thread it seems like Houston is the strong #4 in black American for young professionals. (NYC/DC/ATL being 1-3 no order).

I’d actually put Houston #3 or tied with NYC. As far as current buzz, I’ll put Houston #1. It’s really interesting that Houston isn’t top 5 in raw black numbers but punches above its weight in black culture and offerings. Houston’s black culture is the dominant culture in Houston, despite Houston’s diversity and the black numbers’ being the third largest in the city and metro area.

Old 05-24-2022, 10:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernBoy205 View Post
I’d actually put Houston #3 or tied with NYC. As far as current buzz, I’ll put Houston #1. It’s really interesting that Houston isn’t top 5 in raw black numbers but punches above its weight in black culture and offerings. Houston’s black culture is the dominant culture in Houston, despite Houston’s diversity and the black numbers’ being the third largest in the city and metro area.
That's probably a fair ranking. Do you anticipate Houston's dominant culture staying Black? Particularly as the Hispanic and Asian populations continue to grow as well?

Old 05-24-2022, 10:24 AM

9,869 posts, read 6,583,760 times
Quote:
That's probably a fair ranking. Do you anticipate Houston's dominant culture staying Black? Particularly as the Hispanic and Asian populations continue to grow as well?
Despite the continuous Asian growth, they’re well behind Hispanic, Black and White to become the dominant culture in Houston. Houston really has no racial dominant culture in 2022, it’s too diverse to put it in one. If anything, it’s a mix of things.

Black culture is basically the dominant pop culture of the United States at this point in time and this trickles down well to Houston.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City