Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Houston vs Dallas for Black Professionals
Houston 54 69.23%
Dallas 24 30.77%
Voters: 78. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-23-2022, 12:19 AM

13,727 posts, read 15,741,344 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JYHTOWN View Post
Also according to census ACS 2019 data the Houston metro has the smallest gap between it's share of black owned businesses and share of black population(-0.8) of any metro.

ATL, DC, and NYC all have -4.1, -4.1, -7.3 respectively.

Dallas = -2.6

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets...1To/edit#gid=0
You can't compare Houston to the big 3 Black professional mecca's. There are way more Black people in NYC, DC, and Atlanta than Houston in less space. Double the Black population actually. Obviously, the more Black people you have, the larger the gap in Black owned businesses compared to the Black population will be.

1. NYC MSA = 6,720 sq. miles (3,367,769 Black people)

2. DC/Baltimore MSA's = 8,166.07 sq. miles (2,430,255 Black people)

3. Atlanta MSA = 8,376 sq. miles (2,089,494 Black people)

Compared to:
Houston MSA = 10,062 sq. miles (1,223,778 Black people)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-23-2022, 12:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NigerianNightmare View Post
I have a question, because I didn't realize the median income was this high with this heavy of a black presence. Almost all of the areas you showed me have homicide rates, on par with if not more violent than the Third Ward and higher than many inner loop areas. Why is homicide so high in areas with median incomes over 100,000 USD. One of the reasons the 3rd Ward's reputation isn't as high is perception of high crime yet many of these areas rack up as many bodies as the Third Ward (21 per 100,000 in 2018) vs. 20001 (27 per 100,000 in 2018) or 20002 (48 per 100,000 in 2018) and the other two 20024 and 20003 having homicide rates around 14 and 9 per 100,000 in 2018 respectively.

77003 which is EaDo and is 22% black and a decent median income albeit a high poverty rate had 0 homicides in 2018. It's nowhere as wealthy or populous as the D.C zip codes but still...

77026, which is very poor, and is Kashmere Gardens and around 50% black has a homicide rate around 9.4 per 100,000 in 2018. Denver Harbor/Fifth Ward or 77020 another really poor area had a homicide rate of 11.4 per 100,000 its 23% black.

Greater OST/South Union or 77021 an area that's really poor and 67% black had a homicide rate of 54 per 100,000 in 2018.

Now these numbers look different with the pandemic increase and continued gentrification, but my thing is how is it that an area with such high earning black and white folks, has such appalling rates of homicide.
There are public housing complexes throughout DC surrounded by highly educated and successful people living in high density. I think the density in DC proper makes a comparison between Houston and DC apples and oranges. Crime around NYC public housing is similar with surrounding neighborhoods of high incomes and education. The only way to stop the homicides would be to remove the public housing, which is happening, but very slowly.

Last edited by MDAllstar; 05-23-2022 at 12:33 AM..

Old 05-23-2022, 01:01 AM

6,470 posts, read 4,067,453 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MDAllstar View Post
There are public housing complexes throughout DC surrounded by highly educated and successful people living in high density. I think the density in DC proper makes a comparison between Houston and DC apples and oranges. Crime around NYC public housing is similar with surrounding neighborhoods of high incomes and education. The only way to stop the homicides would be to remove the public housing, which is happening, but very slowly.
Actually high income parts of New York have fairly low homicide rates. The Bronx which is largely low income only has a homicide rate of around 10 per 100,000 last year. Which is lower than D.C or Houston and that’s a major increase compared to a few years back. This also translates to rates lower for other crimes too. So I don’t know if density makes an area incomparable when we are looking at zip codes with roughly the same population/area.

Old 05-23-2022, 01:05 AM

6,470 posts, read 4,067,453 times
Quote:
You can't compare Houston to the big 3 Black professional mecca's. There are way more Black people in NYC, DC, and Atlanta than Houston in less space. Double the Black population actually. Obviously, the more Black people you have, the larger the gap in Black owned businesses compared to the Black population will be.

Compared to:
I agree with the sentiment of way more black people but I heavily disagree with less space. Texas counties are big but Harris+Galveston+Fort Bend+Northern Brazilian literally have the 1.15 million black people. Harris plus Northern Fort Bend had 1,050,000 black people. The latter is only 2,000 square miles. Including the MSA is pointless when the vast majority of black people live in one locality, and the borders of two others. With Southern Galveston County being the largest separated black community in the MSA.

Old 05-23-2022, 01:36 AM

Quote:
Actually high income parts of New York have fairly low homicide rates. The Bronx which is largely low income only has a homicide rate of around 10 per 100,000 last year. Which is lower than D.C or Houston and that’s a major increase compared to a few years back. This also translates to rates lower for other crimes too. So I don’t know if density makes an area incomparable when we are looking at zip codes with roughly the same population/area.
NYC densities are so high that homicides will never measure high.

Have you looked at income in Brooklyn neighborhoods surrounding high homicide areas? Also, if you're measuring homicides in NYC, you need to use the same land area used in DC zip codes to get an apples-to-apples comparison. The zip codes in NYC are very small because the population density is so high.

Check Brooklyn for 2021:
NYC Murder Map

Prospect Heights Zip Code 11238 = $100,568 median income
Boerum Hill Zip Code 11215 = $144,330 median income
Park Slope Zip Code 11215 = $144,330 median income

Also, look at Manhattan. This can't be a conversation about density. Nobody is going to say "someone was killed on the corner by my house, but there are so many people on this block that statistics say it was bound to happen" when they talk about crime. DC is the same way.

The Manhattan 10128 zip code in Carnegie Hill had 4 murders within a 1/2 mile radius, but has a median income of $117,926

The Manhattan 10018 zip code in Hells Kitchen has a median income of $136,360 and had 9 murders within a 1/2 mile radius.

Last edited by MDAllstar; 05-23-2022 at 02:31 AM..

Old 05-23-2022, 01:44 AM

Quote:
I agree with the sentiment of way more black people but I heavily disagree with less space. Texas counties are big but Harris+Galveston+Fort Bend+Northern Brazilian literally have the 1.15 million black people. Harris plus Northern Fort Bend had 1,050,000 black people. The latter is only 2,000 square miles. Including the MSA is pointless when the vast majority of black people live in one locality, and the borders of two others. With Southern Galveston County being the largest separated black community in the MSA.
Have you looked into where the Black people live in NYC, DC, and Atlanta? I mean, DC and Prince George's County have 882,413 Black people living within 544 sq. miles. To put that into greater perspective, DC proper has 320,704 Black people living in 61.4 sq. miles.

Source

Old 05-23-2022, 07:40 AM

58 posts, read 42,262 times
Quote:
Is this a joke?

DC (NOMA/Union Market) Zip Code = 20002
Demographics: 45% Black

DC (Mt. Vernon Triangle/Shaw) Zip Code = 20001
Demographics: 35% Black

DC (Wharf/Buzzard Point) Zip Code = 20024
Demographics: 36% Black

DC (Navy Yard/Capitol Hill) Zip Code = 20003
Demographics: 26% Black

Yeah, none of those are adjacent to downtowns zip(20036) which is %3 black.

Adjacent zips.

20009 - %17 black

20005 - %18 black

20006 - %10 black

20037 - %6 black

20008 - %10 black

Adjacent zips to Houstons downtown zip(77002 - %34 black)

77009 - %6 black

77020 - %23 black

77003 - %22 black

77004 - %46 black

77006 - %7 black

77019 - %7 black

77007 - %5 black

And also to your point about the "urban core" keep in mind that Houston is much larger, sprawling, and decentralized than DC and actually has multiple "urban cores" if we're not just strictly speaking about downtown. There's midtown, greenway, uptown/galleria, westchase, energy corridor, greenspoint/bush and the medical center all with their own skyline.

Plenty more black majority and plurality zips are in or border those districts.

The zip 77054 you're speaking of is exactly where the astrodome and nrg park are and is adjacent to the medical center zip. Nothing "suburban" about it.

Hell if you wanna be real the entire innerloop can be considered an urban core.

Old 05-23-2022, 07:45 AM

5 posts, read 2,726 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeadedWest2020 View Post
Which city affords the best overall quality of life for young black professionals (35 and under)?
I think that depends on what that Black professional 35 and under values in a city experience.

If you need a city with a more vibrant, concentrated and IN YOUR FACE Black cultural experience than Houston will be the better option for Black professionals 35 and under.

If you want a city that has just enough of a visible Black presence but is a little more laid back and not so party "LIT" centric than DFW metroplex would be the better option for Black professionals 35 and under.

Now in my experience, I think most Black professionals 35 and under prefer Houston over Dallas because more Black professionals in that age range prefer to live in areas where they can have a variety of options for Black entertainment/ lifestyle/ experience.

Now that's not to say DFW doesn't have that it's just it's not as concentrated in the core of Dallas as it is in Houston. And not only that but it's more scattered.

Example: Houston has Third Ward and with Third Ward you have 2 corridor's that are filled with clubs/ restaurants/ lounges that are predominately Black. Emancipation ave. (more lowkey) and Almeda rd. 3rd Ward sits right in the middle of the Inner loop. So Houston's Black professional social scenes can extend to Midtown/ Museum District/ Eado/ Downtown/ Galleria-Uptown area. Not to mention outside of the Black professional scenes, you have other demographics of Black social circles that blend in with the vibrancy of the Black populace in Houston. Often times Black professionals in Houston mix and mingle with other Black social circles and non-Black social circles here in Houston.

Houston in that regards is very similar to Atlanta. I lived in Atlanta and live in Houston. Both cities tend to generally attract similar types of Black demographics for BETTER and WORST.

Dallas is more lowkey. I think some people write Dallas Black professional scene off too quick as if it's Austin or San Antonio. Like it's little to no visible Black professional scene. From my experience that's not true. And to be fair some people judge Dallas based off an outdated perception. DFW Black professional scene has progressed rapidly in the past 10 years but it's still not as visible rich or concentrated in the core of Dallas like Houston.

A pretty impressive concentration of Black professionals tend to be in areas like Addison. a suburb of Dallas and pockets of Downtown Dallas. But for the most part it's scattered here and there and just simply more laid back compared to Houston.

Old 05-23-2022, 08:08 AM

58 posts, read 42,262 times
Quote:

Compared to:

Your numbers looking kinda off to me.

NYC MSA - 3,237,789 black folk
https://data.indystar.com/census/tot...rea/320-35620/

ATL MSA - 2,048,212 black folk
https://data.indystar.com/census/tot...rea/320-12060/

Houston MSA - 1,237,934 black folk
https://data.indystar.com/census/tot...rea/320-26420/

Almost as if you're intentionally lowballing houston's black pop and highballing the others. hmmm........ Maybe I'm wrong tho.

Also "DC/Bmore MSA"??? ..........Uhh DC and Batlimore make up their OWN respective MSAs.

DMV MSA - 1,562,340 black folk(certainly not TWICE as big)
https://data.indystar.com/census/tot...rea/320-47900/

Bmore MSA - 811,018 black folk
https://data.indystar.com/census/tot...rea/320-12580/

You're conflating the DC-Bmore COMBINED STATISTICAL AREA(CSA) with just the DMV MSA.

In fact the chart I link explicitly divides them accordingly. Bmore MSA has a whopping -10.1 disparity between its black pop share and share of BOBs. So the Dc-Bmore CSA would actually come out looking worse than just the DMV MSA alone. And you can't use the black pop excuse bcuz bmore metro has less blk flk than NYC, ATL, DC, and Houston lol............. VERY sneaky

I mean it makes no sense to try to chalk Houston's low black pop share to BOB share disparity up to it's lower black pop and greater area bcuz if that was the case PLENTY of other metro areas like Pheonix, Denver, Los Angeles with lower black pops and greater square mileage would have lower BOB disparities than Houston yet they don't.

And we won't even get into how a MUCH larger share of metro DMV's black pop ain't even really ethincally black american(descendants of US slaves) than Houston's.

A bit outdated but for 2013:

%15 of the DMVs black pop was foreign born.

%6 of Houston metro's black pop was foreign born.
https://www.pewresearch.org/social-t...nt-population/

I know for a fact a lot of them habesha ppl in the DMV would be ready to FIGHT you if you refer to them as black. Nigerians don't like being associated with Black Americans either. They're completely different groups then us. It really annoys me that this outdated strictly racial classification based aggregation of demographic statistics is still prominent.

Last edited by JYHTOWN; 05-23-2022 at 08:31 AM..

Old 05-23-2022, 08:26 AM

2,750 posts, read 2,417,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JYHTOWN View Post

Also it should be noted that when referring to "black culture" we're talking about black AMERICAN culture.

Nigerian and Jamaican culture etc for instance are completely different from completely different ethnic groups that have little to nothing to do with black americans. Black immigrants in the houston area don't even live in the same neighborhoods as black americans by and large. You guys cluster more culturally, geographically, and economically with other immigrant groups like asians and hispanics. So, I'm confused on your first person point of reference, with the *us*.

Lets just keep that in mind that your perspective on "black culture" in houston is that of an outsider to it which will inform your opinion or that of your circle of friends.
in response to the bold, if you're from Texas, you really can't comment on Jamaican or Jamaican American culture as your opinion here is pretty off base from reality.

Quote:
I have a question, because I didn't realize the median income was this high with this heavy of a black presence. Almost all of the areas you showed me have homicide rates, on par with if not more violent than the Third Ward and higher than many inner loop areas. Why is homicide so high in areas with median incomes over 100,000 USD. One of the reasons the 3rd Ward's reputation isn't as high is perception of high crime yet many of these areas rack up as many bodies as the Third Ward (21 per 100,000 in 2018) vs. 20001 (27 per 100,000 in 2018) or 20002 (48 per 100,000 in 2018) and the other two 20024 and 20003 having homicide rates around 14 and 9 per 100,000 in 2018 respectively.

77003 which is EaDo and is 22% black and a decent median income albeit a high poverty rate had 0 homicides in 2018. It's nowhere as wealthy or populous as the D.C zip codes but still...

77026, which is very poor, and is Kashmere Gardens and around 50% black has a homicide rate around 9.4 per 100,000 in 2018. Denver Harbor/Fifth Ward or 77020 another really poor area had a homicide rate of 11.4 per 100,000 its 23% black.

Greater OST/South Union or 77021 an area that's really poor and 67% black had a homicide rate of 54 per 100,000 in 2018.

Now these numbers look different with the pandemic increase and continued gentrification, but my thing is how is it that an area with such high earning black and white folks, has such appalling rates of homicide.
DC's homicide/crime rates are honestly really bad for the level of wealth in the city. That's generations of concentrated poverty for you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City