Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Houston vs Dallas for Black Professionals
Houston 54 69.23%
Dallas 24 30.77%
Voters: 78. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-23-2022, 12:17 PM

20,516 posts, read 33,544,005 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MDAllstar View Post
This zip code below is in the suburbs of Dallas. Are there any zip codes like this below in Dallas proper? I'm trying to find a comparison to Third Ward.

Desoto in Dallas

Zip Code 75115 (Land Area = 21.9 square miles)
Total Percentage Bachelor's degree or higher (Black People) = 28.7%
Total Raw Number Bachelor's degree or higher (Black People) = 7,091 Black people

Source
Yes there is a reason why documentaries and such were made about the Black population in the best southwest areas. Cedar Hill, De Soto, Lancaster, and Duncanville. Duncanville to a lesser extent compared to those two due to demographics. The other cities have a population of at least 50% Black with a growing median income. I think the only suburb in Houston equivalent to this is maybe Missouri City but I wouldn’t put it on the level of these Dallas suburbs tbh. Peatland has a decent size Black population but it’s the third largest in the city. Getting very diverse down there though.

I don’t know if there is an equivalent in Dallas proper. Perhaps somewhere in the Southern parts of Dallas.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-23-2022, 12:21 PM

13,727 posts, read 15,760,072 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NigerianNightmare View Post
DeSoto is a suburb. If your looking for suburban wealth that’s a much easier shortlist.

Dallas-

Arlington/Grand Prairie and Mansfield around Joe Pool Lake.
Cedar Hill
DeSoto
Lancaster
Duncanville

The last 4 communities make up the Best Southwest region. Which is probably the biggest collection of black Wealth in Texas. I like the Arlington/Grand Prairie/Mansfield area more though. Cedar Hill is considered the gem of that region. New points like Glenn Heights/Red Oak/Oak Leaf are emerging just South of that region.

Away from this area Plano has a large-ish black community that does well, as well as Garland and Irving. The City of Fort Worth is another sleeper with it pre-pandemic having a fairly low crime rate for an urban city that’s 20% black.

Houston
Pearland (Specifically around Shadow Creek)
Atascocita/Humble/Summerwood (More Atascocita than Humble)
Missouri City
Richmond (Around 77406)
Manvel is emerging.
Katy- lower black population but extremely well off in 77494 and areas around it.
This also applies to suburbs like Cypress and Spring. They aren’t very black but about the national average in many of their really nice neighborhoods.
No, I'm looking for city proper zip codes. I realized it was a suburb after looking at it. Do you know of any zip codes in Dallas proper?

Old 05-23-2022, 01:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NigerianNightmare View Post
I agree with the sentiment of way more black people but I heavily disagree with less space. Texas counties are big but Harris+Galveston+Fort Bend+Northern Brazilian literally have the 1.15 million black people. Harris plus Northern Fort Bend had 1,050,000 black people. The latter is only 2,000 square miles. Including the MSA is pointless when the vast majority of black people live in one locality, and the borders of two others. With Southern Galveston County being the largest separated black community in the MSA.
I crunched the numbers to get an accurate picture of Black professionals versus Black people in NYC/DC/ATL vs. Houston:

NYC (New York) = 300.5 sq. miles
Total Raw Number Bachelor's degree or higher (Black People) = 348,132 Black people
Source

DC Original Diamond/PG County (Washington D.C.) = 585.33 sq. miles
Total Raw Number Bachelor's degree or higher (Black People) = 221,288 Black people
Source

Fulton/Dekalb County (Atlanta) = 795 sq. miles
Total Raw Number Bachelor's degree or higher (Black People) = 183,067 Black people
Source

Compared to Houston below:

Harris County (Houston) = 1,703 sq. miles
Total Raw Number Bachelor's degree or higher (Black People) = 153,932 Black people
Source

Houston doesn't have as many Black people with a bachelor's degree in even 3 times the land mass as NYC and DC. It also doesn't have as many as Atlanta in almost 2 times the land mass.

Last edited by MDAllstar; 05-23-2022 at 01:55 PM..

Old 05-23-2022, 02:01 PM

3,148 posts, read 2,050,232 times
Quote:
I crunched the numbers to get an accurate picture of Black professionals versus Black people in NYC/DC/ATL vs. Houston:

Total Raw Number Bachelor's degree or higher (Black People) = 348,132 Black people
Source

Total Raw Number Bachelor's degree or higher (Black People) = 221,288 Black people
Source

Total Raw Number Bachelor's degree or higher (Black People) = 183,067 Black people
Source

Total Raw Number Bachelor's degree or higher (Black People) = 153,932 Black people
Source

Houston doesn't have as many Black people with a bachelor's degree in even 3 times the land mass as NYC and DC. It also doesn't have as many as Atlanta in almost 2 times the land mass.
That's because there's more black people in all of those places. Best way to calculate this is as a rate when looking at the total black population. I still think Houston would probably be fourth in that metric, but at least its apples to apples.

Old 05-23-2022, 02:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Clutch View Post
That's because there's more black people in all of those places. Best way to calculate this is as a rate when looking at the total black population. I still think Houston would probably be fourth in that metric, but at least its apples to apples.
No, for context, the point I was making is Houston is sprawling at every level and when compared to the big 3 in the same land footprint, NYC/DC/Atlanta have way more Black people and way more Black people with a bachelors degree too. This was my post:

Quote:
You can't compare Houston to the big 3 Black professional mecca's. There are way more Black people in NYC, DC, and Atlanta than Houston in less space. Double the Black population actually. Obviously, the more Black people you have, the larger the gap in Black owned businesses compared to the Black population will be.

1. NYC MSA = 6,720 sq. miles (3,367,769 Black people)

2. DC/Baltimore MSA's = 8,166.07 sq. miles (2,430,255 Black people)

3. Atlanta MSA = 8,376 sq. miles (2,089,494 Black people)

Compared to:
Houston MSA = 10,062 sq. miles (1,223,778 Black people)

There are more Black people with college degrees in a 3-hour drive from DC/Baltimore/Philly/NYC than anywhere else in the country by a huge margin. The total Black population in that 3-hour corridor is over 20% of the Black people living in America.

Old 05-23-2022, 03:39 PM

Quote:

Source

Source

Source

Source

Here is a bigger stat that is pretty significant looking at just the metro areas from DC-NYC.

United States of America
Total Raw Number Bachelor's degree or higher (Black People) = 6,005,623 people

Northeast 2-hour Drive Radius

DC
Total Raw Number Bachelor's degree or higher (Black People) = 389,125 people

Baltimore
Total Raw Number Bachelor's degree or higher (Black People) = 149,550 people

Total DC/Baltimore 30-minute drive radius Bachelor's degree or higher (Black people) = 538,675 people

Philadelphia
Total Raw Number Bachelor's degree or higher (Black People) = 183,196 people

New York
Total Raw Number Bachelor's degree or higher (Black People) = 596,237 people

Total DC/Baltimore/Philly/NYC 2-hour drive radius bachelor's degree or higher (Black people) Total = 1,318,108

Atlanta
Total Raw Number Bachelor's degree or higher (Black People) = 412,608 people

Houston
Total Raw Number Bachelor's degree or higher (Black People) = 220,895 people

Dallas
Total Raw Number Bachelor's degree or higher (Black People) = 213,764 people

Some key takeaways, the NYC and DC/Baltimore area's each have close to 10% of the Black people with a bachelor's degree in the US. Those two areas together make up around 20% of the Black people with Bachelors in America alone. Atlanta, NYC, and DC/Baltimore combined make up close to 30% of the Black people with Bachelors degrees in America. That is staggering!

Even more staggering is the DC/Baltimore/Philly/NYC 2-hour drive radius makes up around 22% of the Black bachelor's degrees in America.

Last edited by MDAllstar; 05-23-2022 at 04:23 PM..

Old 05-23-2022, 05:02 PM

4,344 posts, read 2,810,471 times
So this thread about Houston and Dallas was made to boost DC and the northeast? I don't get it

Old 05-23-2022, 05:05 PM

3,148 posts, read 2,050,232 times
Quote:
No, for context, the point I was making is Houston is sprawling at every level and when compared to the big 3 in the same land footprint, NYC/DC/Atlanta have way more Black people and way more Black people with a bachelors degree too. This was my post:

There are more Black people with college degrees in a 3-hour drive from DC/Baltimore/Philly/NYC than anywhere else in the country by a huge margin. The total Black population in that 3-hour corridor is over 20% of the Black people living in America.
I don't think anyone would disagree with you on the point that NYC/DC/ATL have the most black people with college degrees. But the point you made in your other post along the lines of "obviously the more black people you have, the greater the gap in black businesses is" isn't true. I don't have the stats but Houston does have a notable volume of black businesses relative to the population and it doesn't surprise me that the gap is so low because a lot of people (of all colors) move to Houston (and Texas as a whole) specifically to start businesses due to the business-friendly nature of the area. If it was as simple as "NYC/DC/ATL have more black people so obviously there's a bigger gap when it comes to black businesses" wouldn't it be true that less black/smaller metros would have an inherent advantage over Houston in that same vein?

TLDR version - it doesn't surprise me that Houston has one of the largest (relative to the total black population),strongest black business communities in the country, DC/NYC/ATL included.

Old 05-23-2022, 05:08 PM

9,891 posts, read 6,595,852 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by atadytic19 View Post
So this thread about Houston and Dallas was made to boost DC and the northeast? I don't get it
I know huh. Normally it’s opposite

Old 05-23-2022, 05:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by atadytic19 View Post
No, some poster from Houston said this:

Quote:
Originally Posted by JYHTOWN View Post
Also according to census ACS 2019 data the Houston metro has the smallest gap between it's share of black owned businesses and share of black population(-0.8) of any metro.

ATL, DC, and NYC all have -4.1, -4.1, -7.3 respectively.

Dallas = -2.6

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets...1To/edit#gid=0

That’s when the comparison to Atlanta, DC, and New York started. The point was Houston doesn’t compare to them so it’s not apples to apples especially when talking about businesses to population ratios.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City