Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Houston vs Dallas for Black Professionals
Houston 54 69.23%
Dallas 24 30.77%
Voters: 78. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-05-2022, 06:34 AM

4,379 posts, read 4,621,029 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dallasboi View Post

Back to the subject at hand.

I think the hidden reason DFW is a magnet and the place to be for black Professionals is simply because Dallas makes it easier to feel comfortable in neighborhoods with mixed races.

They move here and realize that living in an all-black neighborhood is really not as important as they thought it would be.....That's why 80% of the time they get here and LOVE IT.

Dallas is segregated by Class, not race...So if they move here with a good job making decent money they can live a more luxurious life in the mix of like-minded people of all races instead of living in an all-black neighborhood that's labeled the "Hood"....(even Well off neighborhoods)......Young Black Professionals look for places to live that justify their salary....and we all know that most of the time you won't find that in a 70-80% black neighborhood...There are SOME neighborhoods that might come close but they are so far and in between and scarce ...this thread had to be made to find them...

I'm a proud black professional in Dallas and I wouldn't change a thing about Dallas in that regard...Everybody no matter what race can enjoy themselves comfortably in Dallas...And most of the interesting places in Dallas will have all races mingling in the same area....And to be honest that's actually referred to as diversity........DIVERSITY is what black professionals look for....not black neighborhoods.

And to be honest...Black businesses actually THRIVE more outside of clusters of black-owned businesses....So a lot of Black Professionals that move here and open businesses actually look for trendy areas to start up instead of looking for clusters of Black-owned businesses to locate around....I hated to say that but its true!...I love Dallas and all of the misconceptions that come with it....Black Professionals are Happy here and keep coming in droves.....Its not for everybody...Just like any city. But it will definitely have everything you'll need from a city.
I have to respectfully disagree with this here. Dallas and large swaths of the metroplex is definitely segregated by race.

Matter fact WFAA did a special giving insight on how big of an issue segregation is in the city of Dallas.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JbyxX5TeeL0

You can easily see how segregated by race DFW is just by looking at I-30. South of I-30 is predominately Black and Hispanic communities and burbs. Desoto/ Cedar Hill/ Duncanville are predominately Black and Brown burbs with Black middle class enclaves and city governments. These burbs started exploding in the 90s with the decline of the historical Black communities south of I-30.

Now there are diverse areas of the city like in parts of North Dallas and Richardson area. But generally you'll find more diversity in burbs like Irving/ Garland/ Grand Prairie/ Arlington/ Mansfield more than the actual city.

I think most Black transplants to DFW end up moving North of I-30 because that's where most of the jobs are located in the metroplex. So I would say some of the more popular Northern burbs like Plano/ Frisco/ Mckinney/ Prosper is experiencing some Black growth. But because Black people are still a small minority in that region it often leaves many Black Transplants with the question, "Where do Black people hang out at?"

I think a lot of Black transplants want to see more vibrant Black spaces in urban settings where as Dallas is not going to give you a heavy concentration of that in urban settings. You get pockets of that in the city and in the burbs and it's still spread out. South of I-30 where the largest concentration of Black people reside in the metroplex is mostly residential and shopping centers.

I do agree though that a lot of Black businesses in DFW are spread all over the metroplex not really in clusters like that. In my opinion Houston edges out in DFW as far as Black professional spaces but Dallas has more than enough to keep the average Black professional satisfied.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-05-2022, 07:08 AM

13,727 posts, read 15,751,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redlionjr View Post
I have to respectfully disagree with this here. Dallas and large swaths of the metroplex is definitely segregated by race.

Matter fact WFAA did a special giving insight on how big of an issue segregation is in the city of Dallas.

You can easily see how segregated by race DFW is just by looking at I-30. South of I-30 is predominately Black and Hispanic communities and burbs. Desoto/ Cedar Hill/ Duncanville are predominately Black and Brown burbs with Black middle class enclaves and city governments. These burbs started exploding in the 90s with the decline of the historical Black communities south of I-30.

Now there are diverse areas of the city like in parts of North Dallas and Richardson area. But generally you'll find more diversity in burbs like Irving/ Garland/ Grand Prairie/ Arlington/ Mansfield more than the actual city.

I think most Black transplants to DFW end up moving North of I-30 because that's where most of the jobs are located in the metroplex. So I would say some of the more popular Northern burbs like Plano/ Frisco/ Mckinney/ Prosper is experiencing some Black growth. But because Black people are still a small minority in that region it often leaves many Black Transplants with the question, "Where do Black people hang out at?"

I think a lot of Black transplants want to see more vibrant Black spaces in urban settings where as Dallas is not going to give you a heavy concentration of that in urban settings. You get pockets of that in the city and in the burbs and it's still spread out. South of I-30 where the largest concentration of Black people reside in the metroplex is mostly residential and shopping centers.

I do agree though that a lot of Black businesses in DFW are spread all over the metroplex not really in clusters like that. In my opinion Houston edges out in DFW as far as Black professional spaces but Dallas has more than enough to keep the average Black professional satisfied.
What are some Black professional spaces in Houston?

Old 08-05-2022, 08:19 AM

5,673 posts, read 7,450,763 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MDAllstar View Post
I understand what you’re saying, but I do still wonder if the diversity in the neighborhoods you’re referencing has lead to mixed social settings and spaces in your experience. Do the Black people in those neighborhoods you referenced in Dallas have diverse sets of friends and social circles? Do the nightlife venues, day parties, and cultural activities in the form of block parties, Black owned businesses markets, and Black entertainment events have mixed crowds versus predominantly Black crowds?

I’m just trying to see if living in diverse neighborhoods in Dallas has produced diverse social settings and friends versus still segregated social circles.
It means that your group of black friends will feel comfortable mingling in areas where there's a group of white friends or whatever race friends at adjacent tables.

Old 08-05-2022, 08:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redlionjr View Post

Its segregated by race because a lot of Black people want to live around BLACK people ...or can't afford to live where they want to live....so they cluster in lower income areas...which is most likely going to be majority black and hispanic neighborhoods.

Most of the time it's lower income blacks that look for all black neighborhoods because that's where they feel the most comfortable and un-judged.

Progressive Educated black professionals with large incomes seek to live abroad in general society(nicer neighborhoods with mixed races and more amenities).

Old 08-05-2022, 08:43 AM

Quote:
Its segregated by race because a lot of Black people want to live around BLACK people ...or can't afford to live where they want to live....so they cluster in lower income areas...which is most likely going to be majority black and hispanic neighborhoods.

Most of the time it's lower income blacks that look for all black neighborhoods because that's where they feel the most comfortable and un-judged.

Progressive Educated black professionals with large incomes seek to live abroad in general society(nicer neighborhoods with mixed races and more amenities).
Is that really true in your experience? Aren’t the most successful Black areas in Dallas around Desoto? I thought it was majority Black.

Old 08-05-2022, 09:16 AM

Quote:
Is that really true in your experience? Aren’t the most successful Black areas in Dallas around Desoto? I thought it was majority Black.
There are 58,000 people living in Desoto..68%Black-39,440 raw count.

There are 1.2 million Blacks in DFW.................

That would mean that 1.160 million are unsuccessful???

Successful "Black Professionals" are all over DFW.

Old 08-05-2022, 09:26 AM

Quote:
There are 58,000 people living in Desoto..68%Black-39,440 raw count.

There are 1.2 million Blacks in DFW.................

That would mean that 1.160 million are unsuccessful???

Successful "Black Professionals" are all over DFW.
Yes, but what are their incomes outside of that area. I thought there were multiple counties around Desoto that were Black?

Old 08-05-2022, 09:30 AM

Quote:
Yes, but what are their incomes outside of that area.
The wealthiest Black people live North of I-30...as was pointed out earlier.

Old 08-05-2022, 09:44 AM

93,255 posts, read 123,898,066 times
^I think what MD is referring to is that DeSoto, Cedar Hill, Lancaster and Duncanville(aka the Best Southwest) form a predominantly black, generally middle class area of the Metroplex. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Best_Southwest (demographic information needs to be updated, as that region is about 55.6% black)

Last edited by ckhthankgod; 08-05-2022 at 09:52 AM..

Old 08-05-2022, 10:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
^I think what MD is referring to is that DeSoto, Cedar Hill, Lancaster and Duncanville(aka the Best Southwest) form a predominantly black, generally middle class area of the Metroplex. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Best_Southwest (demographic information needs to be updated, as that region is about 55.6% black)
The Best Southwest is Old Black money...New relocating Black professionals want urban city-life. Unless they already have a family in place...And Plano is also a go-to place for relocating black families.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City