Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Houston vs Dallas for Black Professionals
Houston 54 69.23%
Dallas 24 30.77%
Voters: 78. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-02-2022, 03:29 PM

20,515 posts, read 33,527,366 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redlionjr View Post
I'd say that's true except for a heavy concentration of Cultural Black vibrancy and social scenes throughout the metro. IMO Houston is still ahead of Dallas in that category and I think it's a noticeable difference too. For the 20-34 crowd (especially SINGLE -NOT MARRIED crowd) I think Houston generally appeals to that demographic more than Dallas. I think Dallas starts to look better for Black families who careless about social gatherings majority days of the week and more about safety, schools and employment.
Personally I think Houston is still more popular no matter the age for singles. But for families, Dallas does indeed seems to be the larger appeal.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-02-2022, 03:48 PM

2,750 posts, read 2,418,592 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernBoy205 View Post
Houston is the second most popular place in the US for young black people, after Atlanta.

https://www.houstonchronicle.com/new...edium=referral
Does anyone have a non paywalled version?

Old 08-02-2022, 04:18 PM

4,344 posts, read 2,805,346 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MDAllstar View Post
This is true. The Houston MSA is adding tons of Black residents in the 25-35 range based on the census data.
To throw in some anecdotes, I have family in both Houston and DFW, and as a young black person I do enjoy Houston more.

Most of my DFW family is in Tarrant but I end up spending most of my time in Dallas County.

In Houston my family is clustered between highway 6 and 288 and south of the beltway but when I'm in Houston I go all over the place.

When I hear people go on and on about how Dallas has better public transit than Houston I to this day find it strange. The dynamic where family lives in Tarrant but where I want to visit is in Dallas is still tough.

In Houston I can ditch family without a car easier, even as far as highway 6. It's not as fancy as rail travel, but breaking it down to person "A" wants to get to place "B" without their family members taking them, I found that easier to accomplish in Houston.

I guess with Uber and lyft now it doesn't matter, but I always thought Houston had the better transit system. I guess if I was a pure visitor, DFW would wow me more because there are more places I can get to by rail from the airport, but coming from a visiting family standpoint, Houston was better because it better suited my situation.

The black population in DFW has been explosive outside of Dallas County so the spots are newer. I guess that's why despite similar black populations, Houston still has the bigger presence in Black culture. Apart from the extras, Houston always had large black populations all over, so it always felt less segregated.

Old 08-03-2022, 12:28 AM

5,673 posts, read 7,450,089 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by atadytic19 View Post
To throw in some anecdotes, I have family in both Houston and DFW, and as a young black person I do enjoy Houston more.

Most of my DFW family is in Tarrant but I end up spending most of my time in Dallas County.

In Houston my family is clustered between highway 6 and 288 and south of the beltway but when I'm in Houston I go all over the place.

When I hear people go on and on about how Dallas has better public transit than Houston I to this day find it strange. The dynamic where family lives in Tarrant but where I want to visit is in Dallas is still tough.

In Houston I can ditch family without a car easier, even as far as highway 6. It's not as fancy as rail travel, but breaking it down to person "A" wants to get to place "B" without their family members taking them, I found that easier to accomplish in Houston.

I guess with Uber and lyft now it doesn't matter, but I always thought Houston had the better transit system. I guess if I was a pure visitor, DFW would wow me more because there are more places I can get to by rail from the airport, but coming from a visiting family standpoint, Houston was better because it better suited my situation.

The black population in DFW has been explosive outside of Dallas County so the spots are newer. I guess that's why despite similar black populations, Houston still has the bigger presence in Black culture. Apart from the extras, Houston always had large black populations all over, so it always felt less segregated.
DFW has 3 transit authorities.

*DART-Dallas
*Trinity Metro-Ft.Worth
*DCTA-Denton County

The only connection between Dallas and Ft.Worth is the TRE. A commuter train from DtD-DtFW.
So For Dallas county DART covers everything.

Old 08-03-2022, 10:55 PM

4,344 posts, read 2,805,346 times
^^that's why by car the metro feels like one big metro but by public transit it feels like two spheres smooshed together.

Old 08-04-2022, 06:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by atadytic19 View Post
^^that's why by car the metro feels like one big metro but by public transit it feels like two spheres smooshed together.
That's exactly what it is....Actually it's 2.5 spheres if you add Denton.

There's a highway loop around each core city. Forming a DFW Triangle.

*Loop 288-Denton
*Loop 12=Dallas(+Combined 635&George bush making the 2nd and 3rd loop)
*Loop 820-Fort Worth

Honorable mention Loop 9...A massive Loop that will circle all three......Giving it a "Three eggs in a Basket" grid.

Back to the subject at hand.

I think the hidden reason DFW is a magnet and the place to be for black Professionals is simply because Dallas makes it easier to feel comfortable in neighborhoods with mixed races.

They move here and realize that living in an all-black neighborhood is really not as important as they thought it would be.....That's why 80% of the time they get here and LOVE IT.

Dallas is segregated by Class, not race...So if they move here with a good job making decent money they can live a more luxurious life in the mix of like-minded people of all races instead of living in an all-black neighborhood that's labeled the "Hood"....(even Well off neighborhoods)......Young Black Professionals look for places to live that justify their salary....and we all know that most of the time you won't find that in a 70-80% black neighborhood...There are SOME neighborhoods that might come close but they are so far and in between and scarce ...this thread had to be made to find them...

I'm a proud black professional in Dallas and I wouldn't change a thing about Dallas in that regard...Everybody no matter what race can enjoy themselves comfortably in Dallas...And most of the interesting places in Dallas will have all races mingling in the same area....And to be honest that's actually referred to as diversity........DIVERSITY is what black professionals look for....not black neighborhoods.

And to be honest...Black businesses actually THRIVE more outside of clusters of black-owned businesses....So a lot of Black Professionals that move here and open businesses actually look for trendy areas to start up instead of looking for clusters of Black-owned businesses to locate around....I hated to say that but its true!...I love Dallas and all of the misconceptions that come with it....Black Professionals are Happy here and keep coming in droves.....Its not for everybody...Just like any city. But it will definitely have everything you'll need from a city.

Last edited by dallasboi; 08-04-2022 at 07:37 PM..

Old 08-04-2022, 08:28 PM

13,727 posts, read 15,748,530 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dallasboi View Post
That's exactly what it is....Actually it's 2.5 spheres if you add Denton.

There's a highway loop around each core city. Forming a DFW Triangle.

*Loop 288-Denton
*Loop 12=Dallas(+Combined 635&George bush making the 2nd and 3rd loop)
*Loop 820-Fort Worth

Honorable mention Loop 9...A massive Loop that will circle all three......Giving it a "Three eggs in a Basket" grid.

Back to the subject at hand.

I think the hidden reason DFW is a magnet and the place to be for black Professionals is simply because Dallas makes it easier to feel comfortable in neighborhoods with mixed races.

They move here and realize that living in an all-black neighborhood is really not as important as they thought it would be.....That's why 80% of the time they get here and LOVE IT.

Dallas is segregated by Class, not race...So if they move here with a good job making decent money they can live a more luxurious life in the mix of like-minded people of all races instead of living in an all-black neighborhood that's labeled the "Hood"....(even Well off neighborhoods)......Young Black Professionals look for places to live that justify their salary....and we all know that most of the time you won't find that in a 70-80% black neighborhood...There are SOME neighborhoods that might come close but they are so far and in between and scarce ...this thread had to be made to find them...

I'm a proud black professional in Dallas and I wouldn't change a thing about Dallas in that regard...Everybody no matter what race can enjoy themselves comfortably in Dallas...And most of the interesting places in Dallas will have all races mingling in the same area....And to be honest that's actually referred to as diversity........DIVERSITY is what black professionals look for....not black neighborhoods.

And to be honest...Black businesses actually THRIVE more outside of clusters of black-owned businesses....So a lot of Black Professionals that move here and open businesses actually look for trendy areas to start up instead of looking for clusters of Black-owned businesses to locate around....I hated to say that but its true!...I love Dallas and all of the misconceptions that come with it....Black Professionals are Happy here and keep coming in droves.....Its not for everybody...Just like any city. But it will definitely have everything you'll need from a city.
Would you say Black people in Dallas from your experience hangout in diverse settings? Based on your characterization of Black professionals in Dallas, it seems like they go to nightlife venues with all races instead of majority Black crowds, go to church with all types of races instead of Black churches, and have social circles that include all types of races versus majority Black people. Is that true of Black professionals in Dallas?

Old 08-04-2022, 10:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MDAllstar View Post
Would you say Black people in Dallas from your experience hangout in diverse settings? Based on your characterization of Black professionals in Dallas, it seems like they go to nightlife venues with all races instead of majority Black crowds, go to church with all types of races instead of Black churches, and have social circles that include all types of races versus majority Black people. Is that true of Black professionals in Dallas?
Don't get me wrong...There are PLENTY of black megachurches,...Black popular hang-out spots..Popular Black-owned restaurants...and even popular inner city Wealthy black neighborhoods(nobody ever mentions 75232 https://www.zipdatamaps.com/75232#:~...%2C%20TX%2C%20. )
It's just that when Black people move here they don't know everything the locals would know... So they search for things they basically expect to get when relocating like a safe neighborhood...fairly new to new apartment. Garages and hardwood floors....Basic stuff to them.

That always leads them to up-and-coming urban neighborhoods....That are not going to be majority Black....They like it because its just what they pictured and wanted....They grow to love the atmosphere and vibe in General...not focusing as much on how many other blacks are around and more of how everything is simultaneous and cohesive....The longer they live here the more they understand and get used to the culture and vibe.

Old 08-05-2022, 12:14 AM

577 posts, read 562,175 times
Fantastic.

Old 08-05-2022, 12:31 AM

13,727 posts, read 15,748,530 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dallasboi View Post
Don't get me wrong...There are PLENTY of black megachurches,...Black popular hang-out spots..Popular Black-owned restaurants...and even popular inner city Wealthy black neighborhoods(nobody ever mentions 75232 https://www.zipdatamaps.com/75232#:~...%2C%20TX%2C%20. )
It's just that when Black people move here they don't know everything the locals would know... So they search for things they basically expect to get when relocating like a safe neighborhood...fairly new to new apartment. Garages and hardwood floors....Basic stuff to them.

That always leads them to up-and-coming urban neighborhoods....That are not going to be majority Black....They like it because its just what they pictured and wanted....They grow to love the atmosphere and vibe in General...not focusing as much on how many other blacks are around and more of how everything is simultaneous and cohesive....The longer they live here the more they understand and get used to the culture and vibe.
I understand what you’re saying, but I do still wonder if the diversity in the neighborhoods you’re referencing has lead to mixed social settings and spaces in your experience. Do the Black people in those neighborhoods you referenced in Dallas have diverse sets of friends and social circles? Do the nightlife venues, day parties, and cultural activities in the form of block parties, Black owned businesses markets, and Black entertainment events have mixed crowds versus predominantly Black crowds?

I’m just trying to see if living in diverse neighborhoods in Dallas has produced diverse social settings and friends versus still segregated social circles.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City