Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Houston vs Dallas for Black Professionals
Houston 54 69.23%
Dallas 24 30.77%
Voters: 78. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-08-2022, 10:37 AM

5,673 posts, read 7,449,291 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProTX View Post
That poster was actually interested in knowing more about what Dallas has to offer. Everyone knows that Dallas is black hub. Dallas is now a well respected destination in black circles. People are actually intrigued about Dallas because so much is unknown and has really just now been unearthed about DFW rich black history that was largely whitewashed. You did a terrible job of telling what Dallas has to offer, telling about the cities rich black history, and you did exactly what you’re accusing others of doing. And for the record there are upper middle class predominately black areas in DFW. The Mansfield, Southern GrandPraire area and parts of Cedar Hill would fall into that category and the overlooked Crowley area of Fort Worth. You’re from the city Dallas but fail to mention the wide variety of incomes including million dollar homes in the Mountain creek community in southwest Dallas County, or the growing middle class around the Potters House. Not to mention a major mixed use developement is planned on site of Hinsley Field over looking moutain creek lake. It will be the first major urban mixuse development in southern half of the metro area. Dallas stacks up a lot better than you give it credit for, which makes me wonder do you truly know about what your town has to offer.
The problem is...those neighborhoods don't fit the criteria either...Yes black people reside there but that's not what blacks look for..thats where they end up.

WE DON"T HAVE URBAN AFFLUENT PREDOMINANTLY BLACK neighborhoods that you would find in these BLACK MECCA's that people rave about....Dallas is built differently.

They look for urban environments that are not in the suburbs...Dallas provides what they want but your neighbor just might not be black.....That's all I'm saying..........There's a trade-off
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-08-2022, 10:49 AM

13,727 posts, read 15,741,344 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dallasboi View Post
The problem is...those neighborhoods don't fit the criteria either...Yes black people reside there but that's not what blacks look for..thats where they end up.

WE DON"T HAVE URBAN AFFLUENT PREDOMINANTLY BLACK neighborhoods that you would find in these BLACK MECCA's that people rave about....Dallas is built differently.

They look for urban environments that are not in the suburbs...Dallas provides what they want but your neighbor just might not be black.....That's all I'm saying..........There's a trade-off
Are there any census tracts or census block groups that are 70% Black or more in Dallas proper with a median income that would be considered middle-class? How about $75,000 as the cutoff? It’s probably best to use census block groups because to your point, most Black neighborhoods have a mix of incomes. The results may surprise you for Dallas. What neighborhood in Dallas proper has the highest potential for something like that?

Old 08-08-2022, 10:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MDAllstar View Post
Are there any census tracts or census block groups that are 70% Black or more in Dallas proper with a median income that would be consider middle-class? How about $75,000 as the cutoff? It’s probably best to use census block groups because to your point, most Black neighborhoods have a mix of incomes. The results may surprise you for Dallas. What neighborhood in Dallas proper has the highest potential for something like that?
..Okay..... I know I've made valid points...I don't know what you are expecting me to say next....I guess I'm supposed to say you're right and I'm wrong......but oh well.

Old 08-08-2022, 11:19 AM

Quote:
..Okay..... I know I've made valid points...I don't know what you are expecting me to say next....I guess I'm supposed to say you're right and I'm wrong......but oh well.
You haven't really made any valid points regarding growth for Black professionals making a middle-class income for those moving to Dallas. You said Dallas is attracting Black people which is true. That doesn't mean they are making middle-class incomes. Many sunbelt cities are attracting Black people, but that doesn't mean they are middle-class earners. We have to look at the census data for that.

The title of the thread is "Houston vs Dallas for Black Professionals (2022)" so the data we should be looking for is Black people in Dallas with middle-class incomes, not the total count of Black people. That's why I asked that question. This thread is a "class" and "position" question for the Black community in these two cities.

Old 08-08-2022, 12:58 PM

Quote:

So I looked at the census data and you're right about the City of Dallas not having affluent predominantly Black neighborhoods. It goes further than that though. Not only does the City of Dallas not have middle-class predominantly Black neighborhoods, but it also doesn't even have neighborhoods that are plurality Black middle-class.

From what I have found, Black people moving into the city of Dallas, regardless of what middle-class neighborhood they move to will be in the very low minority for that neighborhood. Is that your experience? If not, what diverse neighborhoods in Dallas have a respectable Black middle-class population? It seems the highest any neighborhood gets is 15-20% Black for census tracts and census block groups with a median income over $75K.

I think it's safe to say for the City of Dallas, middle-class Black people are moving to the suburbs and not the city. Maybe Houston is the better option for Black professionals with a desire to live in the city?

Old 08-08-2022, 01:11 PM

6,470 posts, read 4,068,399 times
Quote:
So I looked at the census data and you're right about the City of Dallas not having affluent predominantly Black neighborhoods. It goes further than that though. Not only does the City of Dallas not have middle-class predominantly Black neighborhoods, but it also doesn't even have neighborhoods that are plurality Black middle-class.

From what I have found, Black people moving into the city of Dallas, regardless of what middle-class neighborhood they move to will be in the very low minority for that neighborhood. Is that your experience? If not, what diverse neighborhoods in Dallas have a respectable Black middle-class population? It seems the highest any neighborhood gets is 15-20% Black for census tracts and census block groups with a median income over $75K.

I think it's safe to say for the City of Dallas, middle-class Black people are moving to the suburbs and not the city. Maybe Houston is the better option for Black professionals with a desire to live in the city?
I’ve heard good things about Addison which is a suburb but very city-fied by Texas standards. Density is nearly 4,000 even though the area is majority commercial development. It also grew by 1,000 ppsm while being an inner suburb, with no real space to grow.

Also don’t forget that Fort Worth which is less urban but still a major city exists. Tarrant County I’m pretty sure had the fastest growing black population in Texas. On top of that, either Fort Worth or San Antonio (excluding NYC because the census messed up) had the fastest growing city limits numerically at least.

Old 08-08-2022, 01:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NigerianNightmare View Post
I’ve heard good things about Addison which is a suburb but very city-fied by Texas standards. Density is nearly 4,000 even though the area is majority commercial development. It also grew by 1,000 ppsm while being an inner suburb, with no real space to grow.

Also don’t forget that Fort Worth which is less urban but still a major city exists. Tarrant County I’m pretty sure had the fastest growing black population in Texas. On top of that, either Fort Worth or San Antonio (excluding NYC because the census messed up) had the fastest growing city limits numerically at least.
So maybe we should switch our focus to the City of Fort Worth and not the City of Dallas? Do you think the City of Fort Worth is the better option for Black professions?

Old 08-08-2022, 02:10 PM

Quote:
So maybe we should switch our focus to the City of Fort Worth and not the City of Dallas? Do you think the City of Fort Worth is the better option for Black professions?
I never said Dallas wasn't good for Black professionals...I said the infrastructure and experience won't be the same as historically known black meccas. We do stuff differently. We make do with what we don't have and make the best of what we do have.

Old 08-08-2022, 02:23 PM

Quote:

No black people lose their fear of other races when they get here....They realize that they are indeed equal to their white, Mexican, and Asian peers and that they really don't mind living with them....Along with the urban environment and diversity that they seek.

Old 08-08-2022, 03:19 PM

Quote:
No black people lose their fear of other races when they get here....They realize that they are indeed equal to their white, Mexican, and Asian peers and that they really don't mind living with them....Along with the urban environment and diversity that they seek.
One major difference between what you’re highlighting in Dallas and other cities is the existence of both options which gives people a choice. Many cities have urban neighborhoods with a mix of races maintaining a 15-50% Black population in many of their urban neighborhoods. They also have urban neighborhoods with higher 60-90% Black populations which really distinguishes them from Dallas.

Saying Black people come to Dallas and lose their fear isn’t really being genuine about why professional middle-class Black people choose to live in Black neighborhoods. Black professionals making over $100,000 can live anywhere they want in any metro areas in the country. They choose to live in Black neighborhoods for the culture. That seems to be something Dallas doesn’t excel in based on the information you have provided.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City