Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Houston vs Dallas for Black Professionals
Houston 54 69.23%
Dallas 24 30.77%
Voters: 78. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-08-2022, 08:13 PM

869 posts, read 318,844 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Clutch View Post
Great post. My experience exactly when comparing going out in Dallas and Houston. I usually have a good time when going out in Dallas too, it's just the culture of the spots are different. Nothing wrong with that, but I like that Houston has lots of both options - both mixed and black.

And that's all I'm trying to say.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-08-2022, 08:37 PM

5,673 posts, read 7,449,291 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by spacecitytx View Post
I wouldn't say I know better, especially since I lived in Mansfield for only about a year and a half back in the early 2000's. And working for the City of Mansfield at the time, I didn't go anywhere. I didn't even have my own car, lol.

My experience comes from recent years, especially since my wife's mom moved to Dallas 5 years ago and most of the rest of her mom's side of the family lives in Terrell...so I'm out there all the time. We still go out quite often, and while we manage to have a good time regardless, it's just not the same as Houston. Granted...Houston's knack for having lot's of upscalish black-owned lounges and bars probably has us spoiled...but the fact that you have to look very hard to find the same thing in Dallas says a lot. Don't get me wrong...there ARE a lot of fun bars in Dallas (trust me, I know),but it's like you stated earlier...they are all predominately white establishments (nothing wrong with that either)...and since we're talking about BLACK professionals here, there's just no comparison there. I think most people would agree.

What troubles me about you is that you seem to always get pretty riled up on this subject...and I can't understand why. It's like you want DFW to "win" every category there is. I say all the time that Dallas is a more organized and cleaner city than Houston is, and it doesn't upset me. Why? Because it's true! But GOD forbid someone says that Houston's black culture blows Dallas' out of the water...you're ready for world war 3
THANK YOU FOR PROVING ALL OF MY POINTS!!

I wouldn't say Riled up..."I" out of all people know that Dallas can't win every category....Go read my last 5 posts where I'm stating just that about our black culture and how it's different but still thriving.....Not one time in this entire thread did even mention Houston until now...So I haven't even compared the two to say whos the best......So....It looks like you have an inner battle within yourself that says Dallas wins everything and threads like this give you comfort because it kind of reminds you that Houston can beat Dallas at SOMETHING!!......

You know...I know...EVERYONE knows that Dallas is more organized..polished.....more aesthetically pleasing to the eye....More forward-thinking and a better-planned city....Imagine seeing multiple "Dallas vs Houston most organized and Cleanest" threads over and over and over....You would get tired of explaining how there are nice polished areas of Houston and how it's not a total wreck...Houston offers everything Dallas offers... it's just developed differently.

I still disagree with Houston's Black Culture blowing us out of the water...If it was so we wouldn't keep seeing new threads like this made comparing the two.....How many times do you see Houston vs D.C Black culture threads or Atlanta vs Houston???....Hardly ever because EVERYONE knows the outcome....So maybe that's why I get irritated sometimes....I get tired of seeing Dallas beat to death like it's so awful here for blacks...it's kind of misleading especially when on paper they're equal...and MORE blacks are choosing Dallas over Houston.

I can't believe you gave me a whole compartment in your brain...Im flattered!!

Old 08-09-2022, 06:26 AM

13,727 posts, read 15,741,344 times
Quote:
Your last paragraph is spot-on. My wife and I both make well over 100k EACH, and we still chose to live in a predominantly black area (The City Park region) although we could afford to live pretty much anywhere in the Houston area. Granted, there are other reasons for the choice we made (location to our jobs, families, etc.) but it still says something about the black culture here.

And I use to live in Mansfield.
Your story is common in many Black neighborhoods around America. I would actually make an argument that it’s more the norm for Black professionals. If you look at census data for cities, the number of Black professionals in majority Black neighborhoods is higher than other neighborhoods where Black people are the minority and it’s not close. The data doesn’t lie and really highlights a larger point that Black professionals value culture and community many times above all else.

The crime of walking while Black in your neighborhood is real across America and that is something parents don’t need to worry about in Black neighborhoods.

Old 08-09-2022, 08:42 AM

37,881 posts, read 41,910,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MDAllstar View Post
The crime of walking while Black in your neighborhood is real across America...
That's not a crime and I really wish we'd stop talking like this.

Old 08-09-2022, 08:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
That's not a crime and I really wish we'd stop talking like this.
It's a figure of speech and the issue isn't our issue. It is their issue meaning other races that call the police because they see a Black person walking in their neighborhood.

Just 2-days ago...

VIDEO: White woman calls police on Black man standing at his home

Barnes and his partner moved to Seattle from Texas, where he said he was frequently racially profiled. White people called the cops on him a number of times when he was walking or running through certain neighborhoods, he said, an experience that always made him fearful of possible police interactions.

"I didn’t think I’d have to experience this outside of the South," Barnes said.

Last edited by MDAllstar; 08-09-2022 at 08:56 AM..

Old 08-09-2022, 09:34 AM

37,881 posts, read 41,910,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MDAllstar View Post
It's a figure of speech and the issue isn't our issue. It is their issue meaning other races that call the police because they see a Black person walking in their neighborhood.

Just 2-days ago...

VIDEO: White woman calls police on Black man standing at his home

Barnes and his partner moved to Seattle from Texas, where he said he was frequently racially profiled. White people called the cops on him a number of times when he was walking or running through certain neighborhoods, he said, an experience that always made him fearful of possible police interactions.

"I didn’t think I’d have to experience this outside of the South," Barnes said.
It's a horrible figure of speech that causes us to internalize notions of Black inferiority and I hate it with an absolute passion. Put the blame where it belongs: folks acting on their racist sentiments. Our blackness is not a crime and never did anything to anyone.

Old 08-09-2022, 09:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
It's a horrible figure of speech that causes us to internalize notions of Black inferiority and I hate it with an absolute passion. Put the blame where it belongs: folks acting on their racist sentiments. Our blackness is not a crime and never did anything to anyone.
I can see the point you're making. Words matter and we do need to be aware of their impact. I'm really just highlighting the importance of Black spaces which are safe and cultivating for our culture. Black people living in communities where they may be the minority have to deal with racism and a system that was designed to see them fail. Black boys and girls shouldn't have to deal with that. Parents that move into those spaces are putting their children in danger which is a problem in America.

If anything, moving into Black neighborhoods as a professional with the choice to live anywhere is the definition of Black pride!

Old 08-09-2022, 11:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dallasboi View Post
THANK YOU FOR PROVING ALL OF MY POINTS!!

I wouldn't say Riled up..."I" out of all people know that Dallas can't win every category....Go read my last 5 posts where I'm stating just that about our black culture and how it's different but still thriving.....Not one time in this entire thread did even mention Houston until now...So I haven't even compared the two to say whos the best......So....It looks like you have an inner battle within yourself that says Dallas wins everything and threads like this give you comfort because it kind of reminds you that Houston can beat Dallas at SOMETHING!!......

You know...I know...EVERYONE knows that Dallas is more organized..polished.....more aesthetically pleasing to the eye....More forward-thinking and a better-planned city....Imagine seeing multiple "Dallas vs Houston most organized and Cleanest" threads over and over and over....You would get tired of explaining how there are nice polished areas of Houston and how it's not a total wreck...Houston offers everything Dallas offers... it's just developed differently.

I still disagree with Houston's Black Culture blowing us out of the water...If it was so we wouldn't keep seeing new threads like this made comparing the two.....How many times do you see Houston vs D.C Black culture threads or Atlanta vs Houston???....Hardly ever because EVERYONE knows the outcome....So maybe that's why I get irritated sometimes....I get tired of seeing Dallas beat to death like it's so awful here for blacks...it's kind of misleading especially when on paper they're equal...and MORE blacks are choosing Dallas over Houston.

I can't believe you gave me a whole compartment in your brain...Im flattered!!

THIS guy

To your first NOVEL...if you wanna be real about it, Houston beats Dallas at pretty much everything EXCEPT organization and cleanliness...and even in that regard, Houston has come a long way. Obviously, it's a lot easier to run a city that's only a fraction of the size of it's rival. I was just being nice about it, lol.

To your SECOND novel, You WOULDN'T see threads of those types, because Houstonians AGREE with the assessment that Dallas is more organized and cleaner. It doesn't bother us because Houston's accomplishments far outweigh it's downfalls. We're good with it. Dallasites can't stand to think that they are anything BUT perfect, which is why you all get your panties in a bunch when someone tells you the truth about your city. Sad, lol.

To your THIRD novel...no one ever said that Dallas doesn't have a black culture...only that it doesn't compare to Houston's. That's the plain truth, and the poll above proves it. Black people are moving to NORTH Dallas because it's where the jobs are...not because it's some kind of Mecca. I'd move to Dallas as well if my job offered me a better position there. Doesn't mean i'd like it any better than Houston

Get over yourself, bub...you're FAR too high-strung. This is just a social media platform.

Old 08-09-2022, 11:52 AM

42 posts, read 21,389 times
Quote:
THIS guy

To your first NOVEL...if you wanna be real about it, Houston beats Dallas at pretty much everything EXCEPT organization and cleanliness...and even in that regard, Houston has come a long way. Obviously, it's a lot easier to run a city that's only a fraction of the size of it's rival. I was just being nice about it, lol.

To your SECOND novel, You WOULDN'T see threads of those types, because Houstonians AGREE with the assessment that Dallas is more organized and cleaner. It doesn't bother us because Houston's accomplishments far outweigh it's downfalls. We're good with it. Dallasites can't stand to think that they are anything BUT perfect, which is why you all get your panties in a bunch when someone tells you the truth about your city. Sad, lol.

To your THIRD novel...no one ever said that Dallas doesn't have a black culture...only that it doesn't compare to Houston's. That's the plain truth, and the poll above proves it. Black people are moving to NORTH Dallas because it's where the jobs are...not because it's some kind of Mecca. I'd move to Dallas as well if my job offered me a better position there. Doesn't mean i'd like it any better than Houston

Get over yourself, bub...you're FAR too high-strung. This is just a social media platform.
Some of what you posted is debatable. I personally don’t think Houston is a better city than Dallas. They both have there strengths & weakness. I would prefer to raise a child in Dallas anyday over Houston. Houston city limits is so large that it’s hard to get crime under control. It creates an anything goes atmosphere. Maybe in your 20’s that’s ok but when you get in your 30’s and you’re not trying to be around all that.

Old 08-09-2022, 12:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProTX View Post
Some of what you posted is debatable. I personally don’t think Houston is a better city than Dallas. They both have there strengths & weakness. I would prefer to raise a child in Dallas anyday over Houston. Houston city limits is so large that it’s hard to get crime under control. It creates an anything goes atmosphere. Maybe in your 20’s that’s ok but when you get in your 30’s and you’re not trying to be around all that.

And AGAIN, Houstonians (for the most part) understand that and will NOT argue about it...that is, until someone like dallasboi comes along and chimes in his 0.1 cent about how Dallas is outdoing Houston in some area or another. Go back and read over any thread he's started...the conversation almost ALWAYS becomes a Dallas vs Houston debate in due time...and look at the name of the person who generally starts it, lol.

And I still standby Houston being the slightly better city. Although it punches well below it's weight for a city it's size, it still has more to offer than Dallas does in my opinion. Now if you had said DFW, then I probably would have agreed. But I'm sure you know how people like boi only like to include Fort Worth and it's surrounding areas when it comes to pumping it's numbers up.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City