Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Houston vs Dallas for Black Professionals
Houston 54 69.23%
Dallas 24 30.77%
Voters: 78. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-19-2022, 02:13 PM

13,727 posts, read 15,736,928 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernBoy205 View Post
Most of those places are in the hood. Lol. Also, Midtown is about 30% from when I checked.
What source did your 30% Black population in Midtown come from? The data I posted is from actual census data. Midtown Houston seems to have one of the lowest Black populations of any city neighborhood(NYC, Chicago, DC, Atlanta, Boston, Philly) we have talked about as a recommendation for Black professionals on city data.

You mentioned that the few zip codes with a Black population over 60% are the hood. Is there anything happening in those areas? Are Black professionals moving there? The popular areas you mentioned don’t really have a large presence of Black people period whether professional and educated or not. Black percentage numbers are extremely low like many cities in America in the developing areas. If not the “hood” areas, where can Black professionals live around people that look like them?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-19-2022, 02:23 PM

3,881 posts, read 2,191,746 times
I lived in Houston in 2010. I can only imagine what the scene is like now. I've heard there are Caribbean and African festivals/communities. An awesome thing.

Old 05-19-2022, 02:25 PM

3,139 posts, read 2,043,923 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonBornMassMade View Post
whats the actual difference? Is there any practical difference?
There's definitely a difference in feel between the two. Dallas definitely has some spots, but I haven't lived there in more than a decade and someone who lives there could probably tell you what they are. Houston just has a bigger black-oriented entertainment scene - tons of black restaurants, bars, and clubs and most are really centrally located. I went out in Dallas a few weeks ago and it was a good time, but I feel like you have to work a bit harder to find those similar spaces that are all over the place in Houston. A lot of the north Texas nightlife is in the burbs as well (Plano, Arlington, etc). Suburban nightlife exists in Houston but on a much lesser level.

I do wish a Dallas person would chime in though because I'm there a lot and would love to explore more of the black nightlife scene there.

As far as black professionals though, both have a lot of them all over the place - that in and of itself is not that different. They are just more spread out in the Dallas area.

Old 05-19-2022, 02:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Clutch View Post
There's definitely a difference in feel between the two. Dallas definitely has some spots, but I haven't lived there in more than a decade and someone who lives there could probably tell you what they are. Houston just has a bigger black-oriented entertainment scene - tons of black restaurants, bars, and clubs and most are really centrally located. I went out in Dallas a few weeks ago and it was a good time, but I feel like you have to work a bit harder to find those similar spaces that are all over the place in Houston. A lot of the north Texas nightlife is in the burbs as well (Plano, Arlington, etc). Suburban nightlife exists in Houston but on a much lesser level.

I do wish a Dallas person would chime in though because I'm there a lot and would love to explore more of the black nightlife scene there.
This is interesting. So Houston’s Black nightlife is in the city center and Dallas has their Black nightlife in the suburbs?

Old 05-19-2022, 02:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MDAllstar View Post
This is interesting. So Houston’s Black nightlife is in the city center and Dallas has their Black nightlife in the suburbs?
There's just more of a proportion of the metro's total nightlife in the burbs when it comes to DFW. Dallas itself has its fair share of nightlife districts for sure, but there's also quite a bit in Plano, Arlington, Frisco and probably other suburbs. And that's not even mentioning Ft. Worth. It's spread out all over the place.

In Houston that's not really the case, especially when it comes to black nightlife - there's some in Katy, some in far north Houston along 1960, but most of the rest of it is well within the city, with an extremely high concentration inside the Loop and closer-in parts of southwest Houston.

Old 05-19-2022, 02:41 PM

Quote:
There's just more of a proportion of the metro's total nightlife in the burbs when it comes to DFW. Dallas itself has its fair share of nightlife districts for sure, but there's also quite a bit in Plano, Arlington, Frisco and probably other suburbs. And that's not even mentioning Ft. Worth. It's spread out all over the place.

In Houston that's not really the case, especially when it comes to black nightlife - there's some in Katy, some in far north Houston along 1960, but most of the rest of it is well within the city, with an extremely high concentration inside the Loop and closer-in parts of southwest Houston.
Which inner loop neighborhoods have the highest concentration of Black nightlife in Houston? Are those neighborhoods predominantly Black neighborhoods? If you were recommending a neighborhood to a young Black professional that wanted to live around other Black people that look like them, which neighborhood would you recommend from your time in Houston?

Old 05-19-2022, 02:49 PM

21,626 posts, read 12,718,846 times
Quote:

As far as black professionals though, both have a lot of them all over the place - that in and of itself is not that different. They are just more spread out in the Dallas area.
Ahh I see. Yes that is a difference one would notice.

Old 05-19-2022, 03:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MDAllstar View Post
Which inner loop neighborhoods have the highest concentration of Black nightlife in Houston? Are those neighborhoods predominantly Black neighborhoods? If you were recommending a neighborhood to a young Black professional that wanted to live around other Black people that look like them, which neighborhood would you recommend from your time in Houston?
That's an interesting set of questions. Highest concentrations of nightlife are along the Richmond/Westheimer corridors in southwest Houston (technically not inner loop but very close), the near Eastside/EaDo area, straddling the Museum District/Third Ward border (the area someone here named the Turkey Leg Hut District lol), parts of Fourth Ward (and arguably even parts of Montrose) and Third Ward itself. Those neighborhoods range from majority black (Third Ward) to mostly white (Montrose, most of Fourth Ward).

If I was recommending an inner-loop neighborhood for a black professional who wants to live in a majority black neighborhood I'd say some areas of Third Ward, Fifth Ward, and Midtown would fit the bill. Midtown of course isn't majority black and all three places have some unsafe areas, but overall they are good choices if you can afford it. But in all honesty black professionals in Houston often choose the burbs and just come into the city to play. The southern burbs, which are mostly majority black, are also the closest to the city to nightlife areas. You can get from Pearland to Midtown or Third Ward much faster than you can get there from Katy or far west Houston (and in fact faster than you can from many further out parts of the city).

But even in neighborhoods like Montrose or Fourth Ward, these areas feel more black than they actually are residentially due to the presence of black-oriented venues there.

Old 05-19-2022, 04:01 PM

20,512 posts, read 33,513,431 times
Quote:
The black tourism surge in Houston is absolutely insane right now - when I'm out and about in black spaces here I feel like at least 3/4 of the people I randomly meet are tourists. I was just commenting about how much its different from growing up when people seemed to only come here when they had to. Nearly every month (especially in the non-summer months) I'm hosting friends from out of town who are visiting.

There's always been a strong black culture here, but it's just on an entirely different level compared to even a decade ago. Agree that there's a lot of that buzz here like there was in Atlanta 15-20 years ago.
Here in DC there is definitely a growing buzz about Houston. I’m shocked by that tbh because it’s mot a tourist town. But I’ve met several that said they enjoyed themselves and would go back.

Let me add that what I noticed is that outside of going to the galleria, everything they told me they did, such as going to museums, nightlife, restaurants, etc., was inside the loop.

Old 05-19-2022, 04:03 PM

Quote:
That's an interesting set of questions. Highest concentrations of nightlife are along the Richmond/Westheimer corridors in southwest Houston (technically not inner loop but very close), the near Eastside/EaDo area, straddling the Museum District/Third Ward border (the area someone here named the Turkey Leg Hut District lol), parts of Fourth Ward (and arguably even parts of Montrose) and Third Ward itself. Those neighborhoods range from majority black (Third Ward) to mostly white (Montrose, most of Fourth Ward).

If I was recommending an inner-loop neighborhood for a black professional who wants to live in a majority black neighborhood I'd say some areas of Third Ward, Fifth Ward, and Midtown would fit the bill. Midtown of course isn't majority black and all three places have some unsafe areas, but overall they are good choices if you can afford it. But in all honesty black professionals in Houston often choose the burbs and just come into the city to play. The southern burbs, which are mostly majority black, are also the closest to the city to nightlife areas. You can get from Pearland to Midtown or Third Ward much faster than you can get there from Katy or far west Houston (and in fact faster than you can from many further out parts of the city).

But even in neighborhoods like Montrose or Fourth Ward, these areas feel more black than they actually are residentially due to the presence of black-oriented venues there.
That seems to be the case for Atlanta too and increasingly most major cities outside of NYC and DC it seems. I wonder if Dallas is bucking that trend? Does Dallas have an area in the city that is attracting Black professionals? Do you see a resurgence in Houston’s Third Ward with all the development? Is there a lot of new development in Third Ward? Are Black professionals moving into the new buildings there?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City