Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Houston vs Dallas for Black Professionals
Houston 54 69.23%
Dallas 24 30.77%
Voters: 78. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-23-2022, 08:41 AM

58 posts, read 42,329 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NigerianNightmare View Post
First of all, I can't speak for the Jamaicans, but the Nigerians as far as I know are heavily integrated living condition wise with African Americans. Missouri City has a high Nigerian population, and it isn't happenstance that it's the quintessential black ethnoburb for African Americans. Now not every black area has a heavy Nigerian population, but every part of Houston you find Nigerians in high numbers have a Heavy black population. Chamillionaire, Tobe Nwigwe and Maxo Kream are both extensions of that cultural mixing.

Big cap. The area known as Little Lagos over in westwood along the bissonnet strip is actually majority HISPANIC with a large asian pop.

Zip 77036

https://censusreporter.org/profiles/86000US77036-77036/

Like I said y'all cluster with other immigrant groups. Black immigrants, ESPECIALLY Nigerians by and large don't like to be associated with black americans. They don't view themselves racially with black identity like black americans do, but as immigrants striving for model minority status. There's a whole body of sociology that deals with this phenomenon.

Pointing out NIgerian rappers is as good as me point out Riff raff and Paul Wall as evidence of how integrated black and white people are with each other. We all know that's not true.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-23-2022, 08:41 AM

5 posts, read 2,730 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MDAllstar View Post
Well, I asked the question because I wanted to know where Black professionals move in Houston. There are neighborhoods in other cities that are 80-90% Black. Neighborhoods that are 50% Black would be considered mixed. I think most great mixed neighborhoods have the attention of Black professionals because they are looking for a neighborhood with amenities, good schools, safety, and affordable housing options. U street in DC, Harlem in NYC, Midtown in Atlanta all seem very Black because there are always Black people walking around eating at restaurants and going to clubs, bars, and lounges, but none of those neighborhoods are over 60% Black anymore. They will always seem Black, but they aren’t Black because Black people aren’t the predominant race living there anymore.

My question was for the Black professional looking for a neighborhood that is unapologetically Black in every category. I think those types of neighborhoods exist in most cities which is why I asked the question.

Southernboy205 said the Black neighborhoods I listed for Houston that were around 70% Black were the hood but most Black neighborhoods are considered the hood. Doesn’t mean they aren’t filled with Black professionals making good money, highly educated, and enjoying living around people that look like them. Those “hood” neighborhoods also don’t have to stay the same.

Are Black people gentrifying any neighborhoods in Houston? I have found that Black people are the ones bringing investment to Black neighborhoods in DC and NYC. Even Boston is seeing Black people purchase homes in the Black city neighborhoods. It could be happening in Houston too.
There's definitely Black people gentrifying neighborhoods in Houston.
1) Acres Homes - It's probably the number 1 areas in the city of Houston with Black gentrification. You have Black owned home builders such as this buying lots and selling to Black home owners (I have a few friends that have got homes built by this black owned company.

https://jghollins.com/projects/developments/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RELY70MPoaw

2)Sunnyside/ South Park- Another historical Black neighborhood in Houston that's seeing a rise in Black gentrification. It's still a lot more blight than other gentrifying neighborhoods in Houston but I notice more Black people starting to catch on to the areas potential.

3) Third Ward- There's more than likely more non-Black gentrification going on in 3rd Ward than Black but there's still a visible Black gentrification going on in 3rd Ward that's undeniable. Especially from a commercial standpoint.

4) Fifth Ward- Slowly but surly some Black gentrification going on. I wouldn't say a lot but it's some there. I have a friend that use to renovate homes for J.Prince (Rap-a-Lot) daughter company based out of 5th ward and they were definitely targeting Black home owners. This will probably be the last ward to be gentrified though. Still a ton of blight. Has a high rate of cancer due to it's proximity to industrial sights. However the new East River project will accelerate gentrification in 5th ward so hopefully more Black people take notice.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MDAllstar View Post
To add context to what I said about Houston in the earlier post, I asked where Black professionals move in Houston? I asked whether there was a certain neighborhood that was predominantly Black and professional. There are tons of new urban developments in Houston so the question was are Black people moving into those spaces and at what rate? If some new luxury buildings and neighborhoods have 80% White professionals, there could be new luxury buildings and neighborhoods that are 80% Black professionals.
I would say most Black professionals in Houston look at housing completely different than White professionals and that's due in large part to income the history of Houston's black neighborhoods.

1) Single Black professionals 35 and under are probably more than likely to live in an luxury apartment or rent a townhome in areas adjacent to Gallera-Uptown/ Third Ward- Midtown/TMC. And I wouldn't say it's a large percentage of Single Black professionals in that age range that reside in those areas specifically seeking Black professional spaces.

2) Majority of Single Black professionals 35 and under are in suburbs such as Pearland/ Humble- Atascocita/ Unincorporated Katy/ Spring. Energy Corridor and West Houston aren't technically suburbs but have a ton of Single Black professionals 35 and under.

3) Black professional FAMILIES tend to live in those same suburbs I mentioned above generally in SFH's and luxury apartments with the addition of burbs such as Richmond/ Missouri City/ Fresno/ Iowa Colony.

4) There are Black professional Families that reside in more traditional older Black communities in Houston such as 3rd Ward (Riverside Terrace)/ Acres Homes/ Northwest Houston/ South Park/ OST-South Union/ Westbury. But most Black professional families that reside in these areas tend to be generational Black Houstonians. Not transplants.

Old 05-23-2022, 08:47 AM

21,629 posts, read 12,754,191 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JYHTOWN View Post

I know for a fact a lot of them habesha ppl in the DMV would be ready to FIGHT you if you refer to them as black. Nigerians don't like being associated with Black Americans either. They're completely different groups then us. It really annoys me that this outdated strictly racial classification based aggregation of demographic statistics is still prominent.
you keep saying this but I think you're hella wrong. It sounds like a tik tok argument more than reality. On multiple levels. Cities are cosmopolitan places, and people are raised around other cultures. There are differences but most normal urbane residents embrace or at least respect those differences for the most part. Everyone whos black knows theyre black. Just not 'Black American' and thats okay.

Old 05-23-2022, 08:50 AM

5 posts, read 2,730 times
Quote:
Big cap. The area known as Little Lagos over in westwood along the bissonnet strip is actually majority HISPANIC with a large asian pop.

Zip 77036

Like I said y'all cluster with other immigrant groups. Black immigrants, ESPECIALLY Nigerians by and large don't like to be associated with black americans. They don't view themselves racially with black identity like black americans do, but as immigrants striving for model minority status. There's a whole body of sociology that deals with this phenomenon.

Pointing out NIgerian rappers is as good as me point out Riff raff and Paul Wall as evidence of how integrated black and white people are with each other. We all know that's not true.
That's actually false

There's a ton of Continental Africans and African Americans that mix and mingle in the Energy Corridor area/ SWATS (Southwest Alief)/ Richmond/ Missouri City/ Unincorporated Katy.

You sound like you from the Northside or maybe rarely get out of your traditional Black neighborhood of Houston if you don't recognize most Black immigrants reside WEST of 610. Even parts of Northwest Houston Black immigrants reside in areas adjacent to African Americans. But by and large the highest concentration of Nigerians and other groups of Africans reside in West and Southwest Houston and the burbs adjacent to those areas of Houston.

When I lived in Energy Corridor I literally chopped it up with African immigrants and other immigrants as well everyday. African Americans such as yourself who claim "most immigrants" don't want to associate with Black Americans actually don't put in the effort to connect with those same immigrants. But yeah you don't sound very cultured at all.

Old 05-23-2022, 08:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lupinthe3rd View Post
African Americans such as yourself who claim "most immigrants" don't want to associate with Black Americans actually don't put in the effort to connect with those same immigrants. But yeah you don't sound very cultured at all.
Yep. It's grating and not a good look for us Black Americans.

Old 05-23-2022, 09:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 908Boi View Post
in response to the bold, if you're from Texas, you really can't comment on Jamaican or Jamaican American culture as your opinion here is pretty off base from.

I don't need to be from Jamaica to understand that Jamaicans are a completely different ethnic group with a completely different culture than black americans anymore than I need to be from the philippines to know that filipino culture and people are completely different from black american's.

On Caribbeans immigrants vs native Black Americans

Old 05-23-2022, 09:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonBornMassMade View Post
you keep saying this but I think you're hella wrong. It sounds like a tik tok argument more than reality. On multiple levels. Cities are cosmopolitan places, and people are raised around other cultures. There are differences but most normal urbane residents embrace or at least respect those differences for the most part. Everyone whos black knows theyre black. Just not 'Black American' and thats okay.

Yeah we know cities are cosmopolitian meaning MULTIcultural ie *DIFFERENT* and distinct cultures and ethnic groups existing in the same region(albeit segregated especially in the case of black americans).

Total non sequitur.

That's my point. Black Americans ain't at all the same or similar or associated with in society as African immigrants in these cities anymore than we are with any other immigrant group save for skin complexion.

Not sure what point you're trying to making here.

Old 05-23-2022, 09:37 AM

6,470 posts, read 4,071,063 times
Quote:

Zip 77036

I didn’t just point out Nigerian rappers. I pointed out Rappers who are partially African American or married to African Americans… who came out of Houston and two of them the SW part of Houston. I’m not saying Nigerians have the exact same circles as African Americans but either way that’s besides the point because I was talking about Black people in general including African Americans.

Loads of Nigerian businesses in Westwood. Nigerians by and large do not live in Westwood which as you know is very much Hispanic but also has a substantial black, African American population. Also the majority of SW Houston is majority Hispanic. SW Houston still has one of if not the biggest concentration of African Americans in the city by sheer number. It’s also where all the Africans live. It’s not coincidence. That the blackest county in the metro area. Fort Bend (blacker than Harris County) is where the most Nigerians live… No offense to my Habesha people out there, but they are far more known for settling away from Black Americans than Nigerians. Like I said find me a Nigerian community that’s always from the black community in any city, it isn’t possible. Like I said Prince George’s County is the most Nigerian County outside of Texas and one of the blackest large counties outside of Texas. This isn’t coincidence.

You can not find an area of Houston with Nigerians that doesn’t have a similar sized African American community. Even in Katy it’s roughly 50/50 Nigerian to non-Nigerian.

Old 05-23-2022, 09:38 AM

JYHTOWN that image describes a huge share of black Americans in our own community, the irony. Never mind most of those findings are from the 1990s. Moreover, it contains virtually no hard data or statistics. Speaking as someone who grew up around all those people primarily, and went to their houses often it wasn't and has never been like that for me or anyone else I knew. It was very very normal.

Anytime someone wants to push an agenda of ethnic division- I side-eye.

Africans are more distinct in my few experiences than West Indians but I still grew up with a ton of Nigerian and Ghanaian friends throughout elementary and high school. I was always aware of the potential for bias and cultural difference but its never been an actual divider and they were in my neighborhood. Some Africans choose to dislocate for racial reasons but I don't think its at all the majority or the norm.

Old 05-23-2022, 09:42 AM

Quote:
That's actually false

I posted demographic data. You posted your opinion.

" Southwest Houston's Little Lagos neighborhood, which runs east-west along Bissonnet Street, features the usual mix of Nigerian groceries and restaurants, and also Nigerian-owned insurance agencies, Realtors, attorneys and accountants."

https://www.wsj.com/articles/SB121331692461769909

^^^^That area ain't majority or plurarity black. It's zip is vast majority hispanic with asians being the second largest pop.

Quote:
There's a ton of Continental Africans and African Americans that mix and mingle in the Energy Corridor area/ SWATS (Southwest Alief)/ Richmond/ Missouri City/ Unincorporated Katy.

You sound like you from the Northside or maybe rarely get out of your traditional Black neighborhood of Houston if you don't recognize most Black immigrants reside WEST of 610. Even parts of Northwest Houston Black immigrants reside in areas adjacent to African Americans. But by and large the highest concentration of Nigerians and other groups of Africans reside in West and Southwest Houston and the burbs adjacent to those areas of Houston.

When I lived in Energy Corridor I literally chopped it up with African immigrants and other immigrants as well everyday. African Americans such as yourself who claim "most immigrants" don't want to associate with Black Americans actually don't put in the effort to connect with those same immigrants. But yeah you don't sound very cultured at all.

My culture is black american. My ethnicity is black american. I'm very much in tune with that, I'm almost certain much more than you are. Just check my post on black houston history and heritage including my own.

If you're NOT intune enough to recognize that black americans and black immigrants are completely different, by and large not similar at all, then YOU'RE the one who's out of touch, not me.

My personal experience vs Your personal experience.

Difference is the demographic data and actual sociological research agrees with me.

If you want to remain in denial, because of your personal circle of friends be my guest, but I can literally drop receipts all day.

FYI any group of ppl can have individuals who BA individuals are friendly with that doesn't speak to anything of the sociological trends on a GROUP level.

Last edited by JYHTOWN; 05-23-2022 at 09:55 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City