Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Is Boston more similar to SF or Philly?
San Francisco 25 28.41%
Philadelphia 63 71.59%
Voters: 88. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-25-2022, 08:52 AM

961 posts, read 722,061 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonBornMassMade View Post
Major difference between saying your better than a city or you’re better than a city in one area of life. Most people who do this just call these cities hell holes and leave it at that. Doesn’t matter if NYC had a lower crine rate for 20 years- they made these same comments then.
I wouldn't read too much into the comments section of boston dot com. That place has been a bot-filled cesspool for a loooong time. I haven't experienced that kind of elitism in my former corner of the metro area. Half of my friends from HS are now living in those other cities...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-25-2022, 01:18 PM

12,159 posts, read 7,985,265 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AshbyQuin View Post
That's the inferiority complex I was talking about earlier; it's even worse with NYC.

It's rare you'll find a native Philadelphian leave those types of comments. It's mostly bitter transplants that couldn't hack it in DC, Boston, or NYC.
This is true. Native Philadelphians Rarely, if ever, outside of Pittsburgh (or jersey but everyone makes fun of nj), will crap on other cities.

I think for any city you need to separate locals from transplants

Old 05-25-2022, 05:25 PM

120 posts, read 107,294 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Losfrisco View Post
During the brief pre-L.A. aqueduct period when San Francisco could call itself the capital of the west, keep in mind that at the time it was barely even a peer with Buffalo, certainly much less important that Pittsburgh, Cleveland, and Boston.
It was exponentially more important than Buffalo, Pittsburgh or Cleveland in that it was the principal financial and intellectual center of the nation's Pacific Coast as well as the entire region west of Denver (arguably west of the Mississippi), and within a few years of the gold discovery at Coloma had become one of the country's more vibrant, cosmopolitan centers. No one would argue rationally that the city is "the capital of the West" - in reality, the West Coast has centers of gravity from Seattle to San Diego - but while the status it had in its early years has waned as other cities have matured, the city has maintained its outsized influence on our national consciousness and story, from the United Nations conference through the Beats, Free Speech Movement, Haight-Ashbury, and its importance in LGBTQ+ activism, to the tech ecosystem that largely developed elsewhere in the region but would not have existed if not for the freedom of imagination and entrepreneurial spirit that originated in the city's earliest days and have made it a haven for creative people who often don't feel like they fit in anywhere else - the sort of energy Armistead Maupin celebrated (albeit in a highly romanticized fashion) in "Tales of the City."

San Francisco has plenty of problems, and it's going to take a lot of hard work and unpleasant choices to fix them. But it's still one of the country's most important cities in just about every category. It's not NYC in terms of scale of influence, and not a single San Franciscan I know personally or can imagine encountering would make the case that it is. But I'd argue that only a handful of cities can make comparable cases for being centers of the nation's, and the world's, imagination.

Last edited by caravan70; 05-25-2022 at 05:29 PM.. Reason: Minor typo.

Old 05-25-2022, 11:10 PM

14,155 posts, read 9,043,710 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by caravan70 View Post
It was exponentially more important than Buffalo, Pittsburgh or Cleveland in that it was the principal financial and intellectual center of the nation's Pacific Coast as well as the entire region west of Denver (arguably west of the Mississippi), and within a few years of the gold discovery at Coloma had become one of the country's more vibrant, cosmopolitan centers. [...]

San Francisco has plenty of problems, and it's going to take a lot of hard work and unpleasant choices to fix them. But it's still one of the country's most important cities in just about every category. It's not NYC in terms of scale of influence, and not a single San Franciscan I know personally or can imagine encountering would make the case that it is. But I'd argue that only a handful of cities can make comparable cases for being centers of the nation's, and the world's, imagination.
Very arguably on the bolded.

Keep in mind that the Plains states (and parts of the Mountain West: Montana, Colorado, Wyoming, northern New Mexico) are in the Federal Reserve districts of Minneapolis (9), which has a branch in Helena, and Kansas City (10), which has branches in Omaha, Oklahoma City and Denver. The wheat grown on those plains made its way to those two cities for storage and processing into flour.

That history of accepting misfits from everywhere that I snipped from your response, however, is IMO the biggest thing that distinguishes San Francisco from every other large city in the country.

Old 05-26-2022, 04:48 AM

14,019 posts, read 14,998,668 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by masssachoicetts View Post
This is true. Native Philadelphians Rarely, if ever, outside of Pittsburgh (or jersey but everyone makes fun of nj), will crap on other cities.

I think for any city you need to separate locals from transplants
Every city says this, like every undesirable trait is actually just Tim from Ohio but it’s not true.

Old 05-27-2022, 10:29 PM

1,122 posts, read 923,638 times
doesn't well cover the Seaport, The West End, The Fenway, Southie, South End, Dorchester, South Boston, Roxbury, JP, East Cambridge, Charlestown, Somerville/ Everett, or Brookline..... It seems to be hyper focused on 40 Trinity Place and Back Bay. But does a respectable job on the core....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=meHXFFoJ3m4&t=22s

Old 05-30-2022, 08:34 PM

4,211 posts, read 3,288,447 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by caravan70 View Post
It was exponentially more important than Buffalo, Pittsburgh or Cleveland in that it was the principal financial and intellectual center of the nation's Pacific Coast as well as the entire region west of Denver (arguably west of the Mississippi), and within a few years of the gold discovery at Coloma had become one of the country's more vibrant, cosmopolitan centers. No one would argue rationally that the city is "the capital of the West" - in reality, the West Coast has centers of gravity from Seattle to San Diego - but while the status it had in its early years has waned as other cities have matured, the city has maintained its outsized influence on our national consciousness and story, from the United Nations conference through the Beats, Free Speech Movement, Haight-Ashbury, and its importance in LGBTQ+ activism, to the tech ecosystem that largely developed elsewhere in the region but would not have existed if not for the freedom of imagination and entrepreneurial spirit that originated in the city's earliest days and have made it a haven for creative people who often don't feel like they fit in anywhere else - the sort of energy Armistead Maupin celebrated (albeit in a highly romanticized fashion) in "Tales of the City."

You helped make my point in your first sentence.

Being a regional leader in a sparsely developed region falls far short of where Boston was at the time.

In 1910, Pittsburgh (at the time accounting for nearly 1/2 of national steel output) Cleveland, and Boston were much closer to being in a peer group (in terms of importance) with NYC and Chicago than San Francisco or Denver.

Los Angeles has overwhelmingly been the capital of the west coast since 1925(oil business, full consolidation of global film industry, San Pedro port surpasses SF, largest interurban rail grid in the world)-the fact that social/cultural movements have to be invoked for San Francisco to be relevant just drives that fact home even harder.

Old 06-01-2022, 04:34 PM

1,303 posts, read 1,896,111 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AshbyQuin View Post
San Francisco is ≈6% black. I don't see an ethnic breakdown of it's black population but I'd imagine it's the outlier.
I have plenty of family there and I can't say that they're anything like Bostonians.

Old 06-01-2022, 08:19 PM

1,122 posts, read 923,638 times
Boston skyline photo by David Z

Downtown and the West End from Chelsea

click for the big 6954X2842 image....

Old 06-01-2022, 08:55 PM

340 posts, read 175,420 times
Lots of good knowledge around here. Some from the Bay area may have their imagined superior (inferior) complex about being the capital of the west coast but, being from the Socal region, we don't ever really hate Norcal or look down on them. People from around here more than likely have a recognition of appreciation for them. It's another great big metro with tons of offerings similar to ours in the same state, the similarities between the 2 regions are prominent and they're in CA. Everything outside these 2 metro regions are disparate like Portland or Seattle, those other cities are westcoast, just not California West Coast... San Diego is also included for obvious reasons but feel more like a 'sterile' version of the main 2 CA's..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City