Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Is Boston more similar to SF or Philly?
San Francisco 25 28.41%
Philadelphia 63 71.59%
Voters: 88. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-23-2022, 08:20 AM

2,364 posts, read 1,850,974 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffD View Post
The growth of high income households greatly outnumbered the growth of low income households. As gentrification swallows up the housing units, there’s nowhere to put the low income people within the city limits.

Does anyone have a breakdown of subsideized housing in city of Boston in terms of how many people use it and how much rent they are paying vs market rate

How many units of subsidized/affordable housing are being built compared to overall units built. Iknow the mayor is trying to increase that number.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-23-2022, 08:21 AM

21,628 posts, read 12,727,444 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AshbyQuin View Post
Large number of immigrants skew that stat.

Immigrants have a poverty rate within the margin of error of native-born people in Boston. But also, immigrants are a part of the city; they don't skew the numbers, they are the numbers. Also, there was no major influx of immigrants to Boston between 2000 and 2010.

Last edited by BostonBornMassMade; 05-23-2022 at 08:40 AM..

Old 05-23-2022, 08:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Space_League View Post
Does anyone have a breakdown of subsideized housing in city of Boston in terms of how many people use it and how much rent they are paying vs market rate

How many units of subsidized/affordable housing are being built compared to overall units built. Iknow the mayor is trying to increase that number.
Under Marty Walsh built 30,000 units of housing from 2014-2019 and 6,000 were subsidized "affordable housing". Overall 28% of Rental Housing in Boston is subsidized. I think that includes BHA/income (7% of the city) and i know it includes all the "affordable housing"(21% of the city)

Old 05-23-2022, 08:27 AM

This is from 2014 using 2012 data, so dated.
http://www.bostonplans.org/getattach...20is%2028.2%25.

General Overview
• 21.6% of Boston’s population lives in poverty.
• The poverty rate among family households is 17%.

• Poverty rates are notably high among the following subgroups:
o Racial minorities
 Hispanic population (34.8%)
 Asian population (26.6%)
 African American/Black population (23%)

o Female-headed family households with no husband present (33.5%)
o Children (26.9%), especially those living in one-parent households (40.5%)
o Individuals with disabilities (35.9%)
o Individuals who do not have a high school diploma or equivalency (32%)
o Immigrants who have moved to the U.S. within the last year (61.8%)
• The neighborhoods with the highest poverty rates, excluding the Boston Harbor Islands, are:
o Fenway (43.7%)
o Mission Hill (40.9%)
o Allston (37.0%)
• The poverty rate for Boston’s elderly is 21.4%.
• The poverty rates among Boston’s native born (21%) and foreign born (23.3%) are fairly
similar.

21.6% of Boston’s population lives in poverty. This percentage has remained fairly consistent
since 2000.1
o In comparison, the U.S. poverty rate is 15.9% and the Massachusetts poverty rate is
11.9%.
• Boston’s elevated poverty rate is in part related to the high concentration of affordable
housing units and public housing in the city.2
• Boston’s poverty rate decreases slightly when college students are excluded. Boston’s poverty
rate, less college students, is 19%.

• The poverty rate among Boston’s college student population is 28.2%.
o 48.6% of college students who are in poverty have children.

Old 05-23-2022, 08:36 AM

32,087 posts, read 34,681,849 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarketStEl View Post
Not just nerd culture but a certain sort of municipal arrogance.

Though that's far more pronounced in San Francisco than in Boston.

On that score, Philadelphia is the opposite number of both.
I've never sensed any "municipal arrogance" in any of these cities, but I've never lived in SF. Most of the arrogance I've encountered has been in the virtual realm rather than the real world. The only city I would say you encounter a lot of residents with an exaggerated sense of self-importance is NYC.

Old 05-23-2022, 09:04 AM

32,087 posts, read 34,681,849 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonBornMassMade View Post
Notice you did not include Boston in this list.
I did not. Boston does not have any Black culture that is distinctive enough to really stand out on the national stage (history is a different story). Nearly everything that is famous about Boston is associated with White people. Facts.

Old 05-23-2022, 09:09 AM

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
I couldn't disagree more with this. In fact, I would argue that no Black population in any large American city really has an inferiority complex vis-a-vis any other city because the Black populations in most of the large cities (NYC, LA, Chi, Philly, Houston, DC, Atlanta) all have fairly distinctive cultures and personalities.
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by number 4 mvp View Post
Boston has its own distinct style lol. Look at you ma boy, nobody dissing Boston, you got a superior complex like everyone else here, Im proud of you..
Quote:
I did not. Boston does not have any Black culture that is distinctive enough to really stand out on the national stage (history is a different story). Nearly everything that is famous about Boston is associated with White people. Facts.
My point exactly. So there is an inferiority complex or I would say a strained (it can border on resentful at times) relationship with the rest of Black America, at the least. So you could disagree more with this- if it didn't apply to Boston, but it does. UE and I are Black Bostonians telling you it does.

A little bit of contradiction on your part. The most after the initial bolded quote is a bit of a qualifier.

As you can see from number 4 mvp (and many other) there is a general slightly condescending tone from many Black Americans in regard to Black Bostonians. So it's never gonna be able to claim a superiority or feel superior anyway. But I know your assertion is there no muniipal arrogane from Boston, but Id'd disagree with that. It does exist form White bostoians.

Old 05-23-2022, 09:10 AM

12,159 posts, read 7,985,265 times
Quote:
I've never sensed any "municipal arrogance" in any of these cities, but I've never lived in SF. Most of the arrogance I've encountered has been in the virtual realm rather than the real world. The only city I would say you encounter a lot of residents with an exaggerated sense of self-importance is NYC.
I agree. But NYCs arrogance/the people who are determined its the best city in the world that and put people down based on condescending attitudes put the bad name on the city are transplants, rich transplants who are propelling gentrification making NYC on a whole unattainable for locals. Living around NYC for so long, native New Yorkers do not claim that energy. They are down to earth/transparent individuals.

I do not think the average New Yorker (not transplant) have an exaggerated sense of self importance/ego. Just the twots from around the country who live below 23rd street and Northern brooklyn.

In all, New Yorkers are not like that. The transplants who will vacate in 5-10 years? Absolutely

Old 05-23-2022, 09:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by masssachoicetts View Post
I agree. But NYCs arrogance/the people who are determined its the best city in the world that and put people down based on condescending attitudes put the bad name on the city are transplants, rich transplants who are propelling gentrification making NYC on a whole unattainable for locals. Living around NYC for so long, native New Yorkers do not claim that energy. They are down to earth/transparent individuals.
I vehemently disagree with this. It is absolutely native NYers too.

Old 05-23-2022, 09:17 AM

12,159 posts, read 7,985,265 times
Quote:
I vehemently disagree with this. It is absolutely native NYers too.
I think it depends.

Or maybe, my perception is diluted seeing how annoying these transplants are. Idk. Im just so over them glamorizing simple things New Yorkers literally need to survive.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City