Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Is Boston more similar to SF or Philly?
San Francisco 25 28.41%
Philadelphia 63 71.59%
Voters: 88. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-23-2022, 07:25 PM

809 posts, read 467,694 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonBornMassMade View Post
also, this is probably the Boston in me but i think that's a good if not great thing lol. Like... 'im sorry what you say?' way better than going on a Twitter rant.

Ngl I have been a part of you you don't like it move crowd IRL before. Someone started talking about how great Miami was compared to Boston and the other (black) Bostonians were kinda like looking at each other quietly until one of us said "aye...look you don't gotta be here homie.." and we all chimed in from there not like angry but like a joke with some truth behind it.
Oh I agree - I like the directness better than the SF passive aggressiveness. Like I prefer people to say it with their chest - part of the reason I moved back East.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-23-2022, 07:26 PM

809 posts, read 467,694 times
Quote:
easy easy...I thought you said people say it. I thought i was agreeing with you. I didn't even say anyone "said" that.
sorry - my bad on this one.

Old 05-23-2022, 07:51 PM

21,628 posts, read 12,727,444 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by norcal2k19 View Post
sorry - my bad on this one.
It’s all good.

I went out to SF and stayed there for a while with my cousin because my dad wanted me to “see how some people in are family live” (whatever that means..). While very beautiful and kinda laid back… the sense that SF was just sooo much smarter, more progressive, and better than everywhere else already got grating by day 3. Kinda like snobby/forced. And it wasn’t nearly as diverse or organic in feel as Oakland, or even Antioch, Emeryville, Pittsburg. So while I like the Bay I really didn’t like SF…

Old 05-23-2022, 07:59 PM

2,364 posts, read 1,850,974 times
Fair to say Boston is the capital of New England and San Francisco is the capital of Northern California. both regions are about the same size and population .

LA is bigger than Boston and SF metros combined.

Old 05-24-2022, 11:20 AM

611 posts, read 364,923 times
Definitely close to Philly for multiple reasons.

Old 05-24-2022, 11:08 PM

14,155 posts, read 9,047,788 times
Quote:
It’s all good.

I went out to SF and stayed there for a while with my cousin because my dad wanted me to “see how some people in are family live” (whatever that means..). While very beautiful and kinda laid back… the sense that SF was just sooo much smarter, more progressive, and better than everywhere else already got grating by day 3. Kinda like snobby/forced. And it wasn’t nearly as diverse or organic in feel as Oakland, or even Antioch, Emeryville, Pittsburg. So while I like the Bay I really didn’t like SF…
I got that same feeling on my one and only visit to San Francisco to date in 2006.

(I had a relative who lived in the Oakland flats and stayed with her for one night; a [white] friend I knew from online lived with his husband in the Oakland hills [a 1940s rancher with an absolutely fabulous view], and I stayed with them for two [they took me to dinner at a great restaurant in Emeryville one night] before heading up to Seattle to see my brother and my just-born niece.)

I went into the city for a day (taking BART, of course). The main headline in that day's San Francisco Chronicle: "S.F. officials move to stem African-American exodus".

According to the story, San Francisco's Black population share had fallen by half since 2000 — from 13 percent of the total to 6. And the Blacks that were leaving were the ones with money, and they were moving mainly to Oakland.

That night, at a bar in the Castro — where, I learned, several gay bars did what they could to keep Black would-be patrons out — I struck up a conversation with a twentysomething guy who had recently moved there from Iowa (which, I believe, is where most young San Franciscans come from).

I asked him what he liked about the city.

"It's so wonderful!" he replied. "It's so incredibly diverse..."

And as he said that, I thought to myself, "Yeah, and all the Black folks live over there, in Oakland."

That exchange may not have been typical, but something told me it was, and it cemented my impression of San Francisco. The city is absolutely gorgeous; only Pittsburgh rivals it for topography and setting; its climate is agreeable; and its citizens have their heads up their a**es regarding how special their city is.

I told friends after my trip that, if I were told that I had to choose between spending the rest of my life in San Francisco and spending it in Seattle, I'd choose Seattle. Folks there were more down to earth.

Coda: I also spent the better part of one day in Berkeley, checking out the University of California campus and the business district next to it. I stumbled across a shop there that said it sold Philly cheesesteaks and hoagies. I should have figured out from their sign explaining that a "hoagie" was "a hot oven-toasted sandwich" that they didn't know squat about either. (I also have a rule of thumb that goes like this: "Any place that says it sells a "Philly cheesesteak" doesn't." So far, the only exception to this rule is a pub, bar and music venue called Grinders in the Crossroads Arts District of my hometown of Kansas City. Its menu states that its "Original Philly" cheesesteaks were "voted best cheesesteak west of the Mississippi," and after eating one, I believe it. A waitress there tipped me off to one of the reasons why: "We have the rolls flown in each morning from Amoroso Baking Company." Combine that with the fact that you're going to get great beef in KC and it should be obvious.)

Last edited by MarketStEl; 05-24-2022 at 11:19 PM..

Old 05-25-2022, 07:07 AM

Now here’s the Boston arrogance you Can find in any Boston.com/Globe/FB comment section:

This was in regards to a restorative justice program coming from the DAs office:

“ Have you walked in Downtown Crossing lately, the kids are running the streets, assaulting tourists, knocking drinks our of peoples hands, lighting off fireworks, and nothing happens. Also none of these kids can be charged so they are back out doing it again.

Then walk a couple blocks over to the Commons and the junkies littered across the grassy areas.

Boston is on the path to be like NYC and Philly.”

“ Do you mean Austin? Or NYC, Philly, Baltimore, LA, Seattle, Portland, St Louis, Minneapolis and of course Chicago all liberal progressive run cities, Boston is on the same path.”

Portland, Baltimore, NYC, Chicago Seattle, San Francisco, and Philly are dumped on by people usually from the suburbs of Boston whenever anything progressive or crime related is mentioned anywhere. And how we are should be sane/better than them.

^Not a day goes by without someone dragging those cities through the mud as lawless, lost, dirty, declining.

But then again these are typically the “moderates” of the area and often suburban. But the yuppies on Reddit do it m, just more politely. “Bro just be thankful you don’t live in Philly/San Francisco, ____is way worse there” type comments.

Idk if it’s really surprising though as posters both inside and outside of Boston say the same thing in these forums actually. So maybe I’m wrong- generally it seems a lot of people feel Bostons problems are NBD other than housing costs and so therefore it is a sensible and superior city compare to the “typical” one

Old 05-25-2022, 07:20 AM

14,019 posts, read 14,998,668 times
Quote:
Now here’s the Boston arrogance you Can find in any Boston.com/Globe/FB comment section:

This was in regards to a restorative justice program coming from the DAs office:

“ Have you walked in Downtown Crossing lately, the kids are running the streets, assaulting tourists, knocking drinks our of peoples hands, lighting off fireworks, and nothing happens. Also none of these kids can be charged so they are back out doing it again.

Then walk a couple blocks over to the Commons and the junkies littered across the grassy areas.

Boston is on the path to be like NYC and Philly.”

“ Do you mean Austin? Or NYC, Philly, Baltimore, LA, Seattle, Portland, St Louis, Minneapolis and of course Chicago all liberal progressive run cities, Boston is on the same path.”

Portland, Baltimore, NYC, Chicago Seattle, San Francisco, and Philly are dumped on by people usually from the suburbs of Boston whenever anything progressive or crime related is mentioned anywhere. And how we are should be sane/better than them.

^Not a day goes by without someone dragging those cities through the mud as lawless, lost, dirty, declining.

But then again these are typically the “moderates” of the area and often suburban. But the yuppies on Reddit do it m, just more politely. “Bro just be thankful you don’t live in Philly/San Francisco, ____is way worse there” type comments.

Idk if it’s really surprising though as posters both inside and outside of Boston say the same thing in these forums actually. So maybe I’m wrong- generally it seems a lot of people feel Bostons problems are NBD other than housing costs and so therefore it is a sensible and superior city compare to the “typical” one
To be fair it would be bad if Boston were to have Philly’s poverty rate or Baltimore munder rate or San Francisco’s Homelessness problems. It is genuinely worse in those cities and that isn’t arrogance. If Boston had 390 homicides rather than 39 last year there absolutely would be a whole lot of panic at every level of Government

But in general internet comments are a bit of a cesspool. Like if you look at r/Philadelphia or r/Chicago and find posts about Boston believe it or not, they all prefer their city to Boston, they’ll call Boston overpriced, tiny, and boring. Which again is exaggerated but also relatively true.

Old 05-25-2022, 07:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by btownboss4 View Post
To be fair it would be bad if Boston were to have Philly’s poverty rate or Baltimore munder rate or San Francisco’s Homelessness problems. It is genuinely worse in those cities and that isn’t arrogance. If Boston had 390 homicides rather than 39 last year there absolutely would be a whole lot of panic at every level of Government

But in general internet comments are a bit of a cesspool. Like if you look at r/Philadelphia or r/Chicago and find posts about Boston believe it or not, they all prefer their city to Boston, they’ll call Boston overpriced, tiny, and boring. Which again is exaggerated but also relatively true.
Major difference between saying your better than a city or you’re better than a city in one area of life. Most people who do this just call these cities hell holes and leave it at that. Doesn’t matter if NYC had a lower crine rate for 20 years- they made these same comments then.

Old 05-25-2022, 07:44 AM

2,235 posts, read 1,116,789 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by btownboss4 View Post

That's the inferiority complex I was talking about earlier; it's even worse with NYC.

It's rare you'll find a native Philadelphian leave those types of comments. It's mostly bitter transplants that couldn't hack it in DC, Boston, or NYC.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City