Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Is Boston more similar to SF or Philly?
San Francisco 25 28.41%
Philadelphia 63 71.59%
Voters: 88. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-23-2022, 09:18 AM

32,087 posts, read 34,686,093 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonBornMassMade View Post
My point exactly. So there is an inferiority complex or I would say a strained (it can border on resentful at times) relationship with the rest of Black America, at the least. So you could disagree more with this- if it didn't apply to Boston, but it does. UE and I are Black Bostonians telling you it does.

A little bit of contradiction on your part. The most after the initial bolded quote is a bit of a qualifier.
No contradiction and the "most" is not a "bit" of a qualifier. It is. If I meant "all," I would have said just that. Boston is a case of a major city that really has no distinctive Black culture to speak of.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-23-2022, 09:21 AM

21,628 posts, read 12,733,519 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by masssachoicetts View Post
I think it depends.
Like you might find some down-to-earth people in Queens and Staten island but Brooklyn? or "the City"? Harlem? My goodness, the most braggadocious people I've met bar none. The Bronx isn't so bad but still, there's definitely an anywhere that not NYC is child's play/inferior vibe that comes to from NYers born there who really haven't left New York. They feel like the sun rises on the East River and Sets just past the Hudson.

Saying this as someone who loves New York, especially people from Manhattan and Queens. Brooklyn to braggadocious, Bronx people too shady, and I don't really know Staten Island but seems a little Trumpy.

Old 05-23-2022, 09:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
No contradiction and the "most" is not a "bit" of a qualifier. It is. If I meant "all," I would have said just that. Boston is a case of a major city that really has no distinctive Black culture to speak of.
Then this isnt true

"In fact, I would argue that no Black population in any large American city really has an inferiority complex vis-a-vis any other city" and really its probably not true for a lotof cities that arent Boston. Milwaukee, Sacramento, Indianapolis, Cincinnati, Columbus, Orlando, Tampa. Cities with large black populations that have other larger black populations in cities within the same state/region but no distinct knownculture. I imagine that makes sense.

You're speaking from a placeof privilege having lived in NYC and Philadelphia..

Old 05-23-2022, 09:25 AM

Quote:
Like you might find some down-to-earth people in Queens and Staten island but Brooklyn? or "the City"? Harlem? My goodness, the most braggadocious people I've met bar none. The Bronx isn't so bad but still, there's definitely an anywhere that not NYC is child's play/inferior vibe that comes to from NYers born there who really haven't left New York. They feel like the sun rises on the East River and Sets just past the Hudson.
I would actually say it's the opposite. It's usually the people who leave New York who won't shut up about it.

Old 05-23-2022, 09:27 AM

Quote:
Then this isnt true

"In fact, I would argue that no Black population in any large American city really has an inferiority complex vis-a-vis any other city" and really its probably not true for a lotof cities that arent Boston. Milwaukee, Sacramento, Indianapolis, Cincinnati, Columbus, Orlando, Tampa. Cities with large black populations that have other larger black populations in cities within the same state/region but no distinct knownculture. I imagine that makes sense.

You're speaking from a placeof privilege having lived in NYC and Philadelphia..
You know what, you got me, man. I did not give that post the careful word-smithing attention I would normally give to an amicus brief.

Old 05-23-2022, 09:29 AM

Quote:
I would actually say it's the opposite. It's usually the people who leave New York who won't shut up about it.
yea that's kind of what I mean like people who lived there for 18 years and then leave for the first few times. They keep telling me about Trinidadian food, crazy people subway, and bodegas like...'yea bro, we have those too. haha.' Its funny, once we reach an understanding its all good lol.

Old 05-23-2022, 09:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by masssachoicetts View Post
I agree. But NYCs arrogance/the people who are determined its the best city in the world that and put people down based on condescending attitudes put the bad name on the city are transplants, rich transplants who are propelling gentrification making NYC on a whole unattainable for locals. Living around NYC for so long, native New Yorkers do not claim that energy. They are down to earth/transparent individuals.

I do not think the average New Yorker (not transplant) have an exaggerated sense of self importance/ego. Just the twots from around the country who live below 23rd street and Northern brooklyn.

In all, New Yorkers are not like that. The transplants who will vacate in 5-10 years? Absolutely
I think the worst offenders tend to be people who move away from the city and compare everything in their new city to what they had in NY. Pizza isn't the same, bagels aren't the same, not as easy to get cabs, people are too slow, etc. Obviously, few people are thinking about those things when getting up in the morning to do a job they hate.

Old 05-23-2022, 09:32 AM

Quote:
You know what, you got me, man. I did not give that post the careful word-smithing attention I would normally give to an amicus brief.
Your sarcasm aside- think I make a valid point. You listed like 6 cities (which is often what black people do when talking about cities) and tried to make a rule that very likely has a lot of exceptions to that rule to the point where it's not a rule.

We have people that feel that the south gets shorted as a country or suburban or unsophisticated as one broader example of what I'm talking about. If general random online comments around the internet indicate anything a lot of people feel their city or state is slighted.

Old 05-23-2022, 09:38 AM

Quote:
Your sarcasm aside- think I make a valid point. You listed like 6 cities (which is often what black people do when talking about cities) and tried to make a rule that very likely has a lot of exceptions to that rule to the point where it's not a rule.
My definition of a "major" city does not include San Antonio. I wrote that quickly (because C-D is not the only thing I do all day) and I generally meant the "big" cities with large Black populations, which are NYC, Atlanta, Detroit, Chicago, DC, Los Angeles, Philadelphia, Houston, Baltimore, etc. It goes without saying that large cities like Denver won't fit the bill. You're pinning way too much meaning on one sentence.

Old 05-23-2022, 09:44 AM

Quote:
My definition of a "major" city does not include San Antonio. I wrote that quickly (because C-D is not the only thing I do all day) and I generally meant the "big" cities with large Black populations, which are NYC, Atlanta, Detroit, Chicago, DC, Los Angeles, Philadelphia, Houston, Baltimore, etc. It goes without saying that large cities like Denver won't fit the bill. You're pinning way too much meaning on one sentence.
Ok, but we were talking specifically about Philadelphia AND Boston when you made your comment.

And if by large you mean "top 10" then okay. But there's a lot of gradient between Denver and Baltimore lol...context matters. What is the "etc" here? Dallas?

I know of people from Charlotte who feel slighted by people's preference for Atlanta. People in Baltimore have a self-loathing complex. I can think of a lot of examples. I'm not tryna rub your nose in i.t. I guess I didn't know what you meant by large and that you didn't think Boston had a large black population.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City