Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: The Atlanta of the North is...
Boston 7 5.19%
Chicago 30 22.22%
Detroit 18 13.33%
Philadelphia 13 9.63%
Minneapolis 11 8.15%
New York 9 6.67%
Washington D.C. 44 32.59%
Other (specify) 3 2.22%
Voters: 135. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-28-2022, 03:45 PM

155 posts, read 127,275 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffD View Post
I'd go with Chicago. Similar regional dominance and similar relatively low global importance. I wouldn't use NYC because it's a global city.

As a Patriots fan, I'd say Seattle and the Malcolm Butler goal line interception is most like Atlanta.
Atlanta is not similar to Chicago when it comes to global importance. Chicago is definitely a global city. Albeit low to mid tier compared to LA and NYC. Atlanta on the other hand is barely a global city if that. Chicago is at least top 3 in the US when it comes to global importance, while Atlanta probably top 10.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-28-2022, 04:16 PM

8,851 posts, read 5,862,731 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffD View Post
I'd go with Chicago. Similar regional dominance and similar relatively low global importance. I wouldn't use NYC because it's a global city.

As a Patriots fan, I'd say Seattle and the Malcolm Butler goal line interception is most like Atlanta.
Why is Chicago ranked higher than Atlanta (and Boston) in Kearney’s objective global index?

https://www.kearney.com/global-cities/2021

I’ll see if you respond to this, which I doubt you will……letting people know your comment is baseless and isn’t based on any objective facts!

Old 05-28-2022, 04:23 PM

14,019 posts, read 14,998,668 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by personone View Post
Why is Chicago ranked higher than Atlanta (and Boston) in Kearney’s objective global index?

I’ll see if you respond to this, which I doubt you will……letting people know your comment is baseless and isn’t based on any objective facts!
Probably just like Compared to New York and being a regional rather than national center of basically everything

Old 05-28-2022, 05:50 PM

21 posts, read 16,686 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heel82 View Post
I guess I read the OP differently than others. I looked at it like those old logic statements. Atlanta is to the South as [blank] is to the North. In that instance, for most of the South, I'd say New York. It's the massive standard which Boston and Philadelphia and Chicago look towards. Atlanta takes that role by and large. Birmingham, Nashville, Charlotte, are all using Atlanta as the benchmark.

Obviously Atlanta is not quite the same, and Texas/South Florida/DC kind of box Atlanta in ways New York doesn't have just due to sheer size. But Atlanta is the unofficial capital down here.
Atlanta as a benchmark? Seriously?

Old 05-28-2022, 08:43 PM

4,209 posts, read 4,741,829 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by YoYo Me View Post
For the south? Definitely.

Old 05-28-2022, 08:52 PM

9,818 posts, read 7,921,318 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by YoYo Me View Post
Yes, seriously.

Old 05-28-2022, 11:24 PM

817 posts, read 597,108 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlanta_BD View Post
I work in the travel industry. I promise you Chicago is not low in global importance.
"Global importance" is a pretty broad metric--I'm not entirely sure what that means. But if we are talking about foreign travel Chicago consistently ranks 9th or 10th among US cities in terms of international visitors, which is roughly equal to Boston. Atlanta is usually around 12th or 13th. Take from that whatever you want, but Chicago is obviously in a different tier than LA/SF/DC/NYC when it comes to travel, and I'd say "global importance," too. Whether Atlanta belongs in the same tier as Boston and Chicago is debatable, but it is actually pretty close and is probably closer to Chicago than Chicago is to NYC or LA.

Old 05-28-2022, 11:34 PM

817 posts, read 597,108 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by personone View Post

I'm sorry but any "objective global index" that places Chicago equal to Singapore and higher than Sydney, Hong Kong, Sao Paulo, Washington DC, Brussels, Amsterdam, Berlin, Moscow, Madrid, Rome, Istanbul, Bangkok, Mexico City, and Seoul is an absolute joke. Absolutely nobody believes that Chicago is the 8th most important city in the world outside of some dudes from Iowa who just moved to Chicago and think it's The Greatest City In World History, Bro. Chicago is one of America's most important cities and it is a major economic and transportation hub for North America. But if we are going to start comparing it to Paris and London then we are in Lori Lightfoot propaganda land and not reality. Do you really think people in Paris consider Chicago, Illinois a peer city? Come on.

Old 05-29-2022, 01:35 AM

155 posts, read 127,275 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ForeignCrunch View Post
I'm sorry but any "objective global index" that places Chicago equal to Singapore and higher than Sydney, Hong Kong, Sao Paulo, Washington DC, Brussels, Amsterdam, Berlin, Moscow, Madrid, Rome, Istanbul, Bangkok, Mexico City, and Seoul is an absolute joke. Absolutely nobody believes that Chicago is the 8th most important city in the world outside of some dudes from Iowa who just moved to Chicago and think it's The Greatest City In World History, Bro. Chicago is one of America's most important cities and it is a major economic and transportation hub for North America. But if we are going to start comparing it to Paris and London then we are in Lori Lightfoot propaganda land and not reality. Do you really think people in Paris consider Chicago, Illinois a peer city? Come on.
Chicago is closer in prominence to those cities listed than Atlanta. Everyone has heard of the “Chicago deep dish”, the “Chicago dog”, “Al Capone”, and the “Sears tower”. Atlanta held the olympics, that’s cool, but that’s not too notable outside of Atlanta and parts of the US. Atlanta has soul food, but it’s nothing entirely distinct from other soul food dishes from other parts of the south. Atlanta has Coca Cola and Southern style rap which is probably the most important parts about Atlanta. The aquarium? Cool most major cities have one. When it comes to international prominence Chicago outclasses Atlanta.

Old 05-29-2022, 05:48 AM

8,851 posts, read 5,862,731 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ForeignCrunch View Post
I did not bother reading your rambling because it is subjective, Bro. Kearney is a global consulting firm, and I will take their “objective” ranking over your subjective rambling any day Bro. Provide me an objective ranking that backs up your point and I will actually read it.

Last edited by personone; 05-29-2022 at 06:39 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City