Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: The Atlanta of the North is...
Boston 7 5.19%
Chicago 30 22.22%
Detroit 18 13.33%
Philadelphia 13 9.63%
Minneapolis 11 8.15%
New York 9 6.67%
Washington D.C. 44 32.59%
Other (specify) 3 2.22%
Voters: 135. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-26-2022, 05:43 PM

21,628 posts, read 12,727,444 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boston Shudra View Post
The Seaport went from a bunch of parking lots to a bustling, modern neighborhood in the span of 10 years. The area around Fenway Park too. I haven’t seen many developments in other northeastern cities as impressive or speedy as those. Assembly Square is another place that saw big, quick change and Union is rapidly following suit.

Though, you are right that the outer suburbs are often frozen in time. Guess that’s a big differentiator re Boston v Atlanta.
Long Island City? Downtown Brooklyn (2000s)?, the Wharf and NoMa in Dc (more sunbelt style development/not the northeast).

Boston is strong for the northeast for sure but compared to a lot of places it’s kinda meh. And the suburbs are pathetic in terms of growth.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-27-2022, 07:19 AM

155 posts, read 127,275 times
Probably Philly, both are similar in size, both have wide spread skylines, both have prominent GDPs, and both have prominent cultural identity. However, if we’re speaking about a dominant city in comparison to Atlanta’s influence in the Southeast then I don’t think Atlanta has a relatable city. Chicago and NYC are dominant in their regional spheres like Atlanta, but Atlanta isn’t close to either city when it comes to prominence.

DC is another similar size city, but DC doesn’t really have a comparable skyline. DC however is more dense, but from a low-rise to an infill perspective.

Old 05-27-2022, 08:05 AM

24 posts, read 13,783 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zedd90 View Post
Probably Philly, both are similar in size, both have wide spread skylines, both have prominent GDPs, and both have prominent cultural identity. However, if we’re speaking about a dominant city in comparison to Atlanta’s influence in the Southeast then I don’t think Atlanta has a relatable city. Chicago and NYC are dominant in their regional spheres like Atlanta, but Atlanta isn’t close to either city when it comes to prominence.

DC is another similar size city, but DC doesn’t really have a comparable skyline. DC however is more dense, but from a low-rise to an infill perspective.
Yeah I use to live in Atlanta and I really don't see the Philly similarities. Even with the culture aspect. Atlanta definitely has a ton of culture. I think more culture than people give it credit for but it also has some corporate "generic" spaces well within the city limit that isn't so locally prominent. Compared to Philly that seems heavily prominent when it comes to cultural identity.

Old 05-27-2022, 08:13 AM

2,995 posts, read 3,099,818 times
Silly question...........

Old 05-27-2022, 08:24 AM

37,875 posts, read 41,904,687 times
Philly for solidly undisputed Northern cities.

Of the cities listed, DC.

Old 05-27-2022, 08:39 AM

1,449 posts, read 2,185,800 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post

Although Philly has a very prominent role in the Northeast, it doesn't absolutely dominate the northeast like Atlanta dominates it's region. The more appropriate answer is NYC or Chicago.

Old 05-27-2022, 09:55 AM

24,557 posts, read 18,235,988 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nephi215 View Post
Although Philly has a very prominent role in the Northeast, it doesn't absolutely dominate the northeast like Atlanta dominates it's region. The more appropriate answer is NYC or Chicago.

I'd go with Chicago. Similar regional dominance and similar relatively low global importance. I wouldn't use NYC because it's a global city.

As a Patriots fan, I'd say Seattle and the Malcolm Butler goal line interception is most like Atlanta.

Old 05-27-2022, 09:58 AM

21,628 posts, read 12,727,444 times
Quote:

Philly and a Chicago seems like the least closely related to Atlanta here. By a wide margin at that.

Way to gritty with far to small a sphere of influence (this part is for Philly)

Old 05-27-2022, 10:55 AM

2,235 posts, read 1,116,789 times
Quote:

Agreed, DC first Philadelphia 2nd.

Philly’s the 3rd blackest city and 3rd blackest metro out of the options

Old 05-27-2022, 01:12 PM

6,540 posts, read 12,034,963 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffD View Post
I'd go with Chicago. Similar regional dominance and similar relatively low global importance. I wouldn't use NYC because it's a global city.

As a Patriots fan, I'd say Seattle and the Malcolm Butler goal line interception is most like Atlanta.
As a Seahawks and Falcons fan, I remember feeling equally upset during both Superbowls. I was like who is Malcom Butler? I remember it as Russell Wilson's pick, on 2nd and short to the goal. I was like WHY!?

Anyhow Seattle and Atlanta have a lot more similarities than they'd want to admit. Both are about the same size metros and city proper areas. They both have one airport. Their downtown areas look similar as well as the other neighborhoods. They both have lots of hilly terrain and lush green tree canopy. Although the demographics are almost inverted when you look at the black and Asian populations, Seattle still has a black community while Atlanta has an Asian community. Sure Seattle is doing more to expand the it's transportation, but then again so is DC which has been leading this poll, and a lot of mentions to Boston in this thread.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City