Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: The Atlanta of the North is...
Boston 7 5.19%
Chicago 30 22.22%
Detroit 18 13.33%
Philadelphia 13 9.63%
Minneapolis 11 8.15%
New York 9 6.67%
Washington D.C. 44 32.59%
Other (specify) 3 2.22%
Voters: 135. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-25-2022, 09:26 AM

21,628 posts, read 12,727,444 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by the resident09 View Post
all of this post is not what the thread is about. Which is my point about being on topic this time. I understand people love to talk this North/South stuff til their blue in the face. But go back and read the OP and then look at the choices of cities.
"A few cities come to mind (see poll) as possible contenders due to economic, demographic, cultural, topographical and/or developmental reasons. "

I addressed demographics, development, and topography in the last two/three comments. In a roundabout, way I touched on culture. The only thing I didn't mention is the economy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-25-2022, 09:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heel82 View Post
I guess I read the OP differently than others. I looked at it like those old logic statements. Atlanta is to the South as [blank] is to the North. In that instance, for most of the South, I'd say New York. It's the massive standard which Boston and Philadelphia and Chicago look towards. Atlanta takes that role by and large. Birmingham, Nashville, Charlotte, are all using Atlanta as the benchmark.

Obviously Atlanta is not quite the same, and Texas/South Florida/DC kind of box Atlanta in ways New York doesn't have just due to sheer size. But Atlanta is the unofficial capital down here.
This I agree with. Georgia has a nickname- Empire State of the South, and I view Atlanta as that city.

I mentioned Boston due to the sprawling low-density suburbs, lack of a grid, longstanding white-collar economy, a cultural capital (Atlanta Black, Boston White/Irish Catholic), and emphasis on education economy/synergy in the core. Relative cleanliness.

Bostons sometimes been called the White Atlanta which i disagree with only because it lacks the nightlife or resonable costs of Atlanta. That title is probably more apt for say...Nashville.

Last edited by BostonBornMassMade; 05-25-2022 at 09:40 AM..

Old 05-25-2022, 09:35 AM

409 posts, read 333,146 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the resident09 View Post
Considering all of the choices to be a "northern metro", which is most similar?

Chicago the "capital" of the Midwest. No cities compete anywhere close to it. Like Atlanta.

Chicago and Atlanta= Major hub of logistics, and airport hubs.

Both major interstate highway convergence in the city connecting various parts of the country.

Neither considered to be an overpriced city or region to live.

Both Chicago and Atlanta have less of the "rat race" feel to their work forces. Not that it doesn't exist, but not like the NEC cities and an SF.

Both Chicago and Atlanta's popular culture scenes are well known, and pretty welcoming to outsiders. Atlanta has been a gold mine for people moving their to find a place to "fit in". You don't find that as easily in the NEC cities.
+1

Chicago and ATL are also large hubs for the freight railroad industry. They also have large networks of railroads that slice in and around their cities.

Old 05-25-2022, 09:51 AM

6,806 posts, read 6,029,753 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonBornMassMade View Post
I mentioned Boston due to the sprawling low-density suburbs, lack of a grid, longstanding white-collar economy, a cultural capital (Atlanta Black, Boston White/Irish Catholic), and emphasis on education economy/synergy in the core. Relative cleanliness.
Another point in Boston’s favor is how forest-y is is. There’s a good amount of tree cover throughout the city and metro, which was one of the OP’s requirements.

And while it has one of the smallest Black populations of the cities on the list, it’s one of a few with a growing Black population in the metro area.

True too is that the presence of the film industry in MA has seemed to have grown in the past couple of years. Lots of movies seemed to have filmed in the state and around Boston in particular.

Old 05-25-2022, 09:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boston Shudra View Post
Another point in Boston’s favor is how forest-y is is. There’s a good amount of tree cover throughout the city and metro, which was one of the OP’s requirements.

And while it has one of the smallest Black populations of the cities on the list, it’s one of a few with a growing Black population in the metro area.
Boston isn't great on tree cover in the city outside of the large parks. Its relatively low on trees compared to DC and Chicago. But the metro? Very foresty

And yes you're right about the growing black population- albeit that growth is dwarfed by the growth in Minneapolis.

Old 05-25-2022, 10:49 AM

8,851 posts, read 5,862,731 times
I think there are some good points for Chicago, but I think DC is the clear winner, which is why the poll results are not surprising.

They are both respective hubs of their regions, have major airports, etc. But Chicago has a big finance presence that Atlanta doesn't have

Chicago and Atlanta are structurally and demographically very different.

Chicago is 30% Latino, and has a large and historic Polish/Irish/Italian/Greek/Ukranian presence that Atlanta doesn't have.

Chicago is also a very traditionally blue collar city. The Northern qualities of the cities, distinguish it from Atlanta

DC/PG County feel much more culturally similar to Atlanta. It is the strong African American cultural thread that runs through the cities that make them so similar. Although Atlanta does have skyscrapers, you find much more of an "office park" feel to it, akin to Tyson's Corner, which you will not find in the North (Chicago or other Northeast Cities).

From both an infrastructure, demographic, and feel, DC is the runaway winner and is really a brother/sister city to Atlanta in many ways.

Old 05-25-2022, 11:17 AM

4,344 posts, read 2,801,951 times
Other: Columbus

Old 05-25-2022, 11:25 AM

2,364 posts, read 1,850,974 times
How can DC be Atlanta of the North when it's not even in the North. Might as well pick Dallas

Old 05-25-2022, 11:32 AM

6,639 posts, read 4,568,287 times
according to the census bureau, washington, d.c. is in the south.

Old 05-25-2022, 12:11 PM

17,148 posts, read 15,350,560 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonBornMassMade View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boston Shudra View Post

The above reasons are why Boston came to mind for me. Similarly-structured cities, similarly-structured economies, cultural cities, large emphasis on education in the core, cleanliness, tree cover throughout the metro.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City