Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-14-2022, 02:54 PM

188 posts, read 127,447 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PHL10 View Post
As an example, Graduate Hospital, the highest income per household neighborhood in the entire city looks like this in many parts.
You mean this graduate hospital?
1928 Bainbridge St
https://maps.app.goo.gl/aJLT9onU4DCVuMXs9
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-14-2022, 02:57 PM

7,269 posts, read 10,588,790 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PHL10 View Post
Dude, I think I know what you are getting at. There is an old, worn, tired look to many parts of Philadelphia that a visitor would likely view as "eww". As an example, Graduate Hospital, the highest income per household neighborhood in the entire city looks like this in many parts.
Well, what I was really trying to get at is: "pick your poison."

Urban blight is one form for sure of negative aesthetics, but "blight" doesn't just mean "tired and worn" to me. It's also bastardization of landscape, like eight-line highways littered with signs, billboards, and drive-thrus as far as the eye can see. This kind of stuff is all over the "new and shiny" Sun Belt, in particular.

Point-in-case: Suburban Atlanta.

And before someone pounces--yes, you can find this kind of yucky sprawl in the Northeast for sure, but it's not even close to the same scale. It would be like a bunch of DeKalb Pikes in King of Prussia all over the metro area; not just in a couple of places.

Last edited by Duderino; 06-14-2022 at 03:08 PM..

Old 06-15-2022, 06:46 AM

752 posts, read 459,343 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skintreesnail View Post
Notice I said "in many parts"? We can play good picture/bad picture bingo but not sure what purpose that would serve.

Old 06-15-2022, 08:07 AM

445 posts, read 413,577 times
I think what you're seeing in graduate hospital is a pretty clear example of a neighborhood that gentrified in the past 20 years. It's still somewhat recent in the grand scheme of things and there are still plenty of properties that haven't flipped. Go down any one block and you'll find a couple of holdouts. It has this reputation for being super rich now but in reality, that's because the neighborhood stats include Naval Square.

Old 06-15-2022, 08:22 AM

I'm really not trying to trash Graduate Hospital but only make the point that to outsiders, even very desirable neighborhoods aren't aesthetically pleasing to many people.

Old 06-15-2022, 10:37 AM

188 posts, read 127,447 times
As long as you mean to apply that logic uniformly, then i guess i agree. I still think it's easier to create something interesting out of urban blight that has good bones then deal with sprawl that prioritizes cars, but i suppose that's subjective.

As far as comparing Chicago and Philly though I can't say much sice i've only visited a couple times. Chicago seemed like the more impressive city, but i don't think by much. I really like the intimate streets in Philly. Seems pretty unique by US standards. Cultural institutions, food, and parks seem pretty close. Chicago has that big city feel with the number of high rises and planned parks. Philly is more organic.

Old 06-15-2022, 10:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skintreesnail View Post
As long as you mean to apply that logic uniformly, then i guess i agree. I still think it's easier to create something interesting out of urban blight that has good bones then deal with sprawl that prioritizes cars, but i suppose that's subjective.
I fully agree! I'm pretty sure we are on the same side of the issue. I was just trying to make the point that our City is rough around the edges and we shouldn't be confused when there isn't mass appeal for 100 year old rowhome worker housing (especially those who haven't had much exposure to it).

Old 06-15-2022, 10:59 AM

12,101 posts, read 17,087,371 times
For young people, I think pretty similar.

Both have tons of bars and multiple neighborhoods to go bar hopping in.

I think Philly doesn't have as much of the yuppie, or at least aspiring to be yuppie, upper crust young people. It does have wealth but it's more of the Villanova old wealth.

I think if you want to be in the northeast and make a lot of money, you go to NYC, or at least Boston or DC, while if you're in the midwest you go to Chicago.

Old 06-15-2022, 04:50 PM

1,729 posts, read 1,889,291 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TBideon View Post
Pros of Chicago:
Relatively good white collar professional economy and plenty of openings for $15+/hr retail jobs.
Low cost of living compared to coast cities.
Affordable rentals and condos, even in vibrant areas.
Cultural attractions.
The lake.
Direct international flights.
CTA and Metra adequate for many residents; car generally unnecessary.
Beautiful summers.

Cons of Chicago
High crime in both violent and stable neighborhoods.
The worst mayor in the US; even worse is the Cook County State Attorney. Both nationwide embarrassments.
Tech scene lacks momentum.
Limited general development outside of West Loop.
Property tax doom.
Far too many grey and cold days.
Some limited forest reserves but you need to commute for real outdoor attractions.
Illinois. << That's so Sad (that people feel that way)
<<
Can't say I know enough about Philly to opine other than I've enjoyed my visits.
Awl Man, I had such High Hopes for Her, I remember seeing her in a few debates,
Now The State Attorney Is Awful, CarJackers getting caught, and being released two days later. Thats not helping the City's Crime problem,
Chicagos Lakefront and Riverwalk Is On A Whole different Level, seen it in person. Not many cities in the country, Really the Globe. are matching it. Only Seen Philadelphia's waterfront and Penns Landing on YouTube videos so can't really speak on that, Both Cities Deserve Praise for Affordability

Last edited by BlueRedTide; 06-15-2022 at 05:02 PM..

Old 06-15-2022, 05:30 PM

2,191 posts, read 1,847,904 times
Lightfoot has been mayor for about, what 2 years? This isn't a fair way to judge a city. She won't be mayor past the next election. She will be merely a blip in Chicago's long history.

I really like both cities. On a national and global scale, Chicago is pretty far ahead. But as for a "where would you rather live" a lot of people will prefer Philadelphia for the well articulated reasons listed.

Here, Chicago is 3 full tiers above.
https://www.spottedbylocals.com/blog...-gamma-cities/

Here, Chicago is #13 and Philadelphia is #57
https://www.bestcities.org/rankings/worlds-best-cities/

Here, Chicago is #28 and Philadelphia is not in the top 50
https://mori-m-foundation.or.jp/engl...i2/index.shtml

Here, Chicago is #13 and Philadelphia is not in the top 50
https://www.atlasandboots.com/remote...world-ranking/

Here, Chicago is #8 - it only goes to 10
https://www.kearney.com/global-cities/2021

Here, Chicago is #10 and Philadelphia is #13, found one that is pretty close - the only one
https://www.schroders.com/en/media-r...es-index-2022/

On a global scale, it's not close. The cities are not even comparable, really. But that doesn't mean people can't prefer Philadelphia.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City