Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which city makes better bagels?
New York City 44 57.14%
Montreal 33 42.86%
Voters: 77. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-01-2022, 01:00 PM

12,159 posts, read 7,985,265 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by masssachoicetts View Post
as you one of the only posters not from nyc or montreal area participating in this... I appreciate the insight.

Glad i voted montreal lol
nyc***
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-01-2022, 03:07 PM

6,806 posts, read 6,029,753 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by masssachoicetts View Post
As you one of the only posters not from NYC or Montreal area participating in this... I appreciate the insight.

Glad I Voted Montreal lol
It was actually pretty disappointing because I generally like Montreal much more as a city than NYC. Feels more laid back and artsy, and the people are nicer. But unfortunately the bagels weren’t the highlight I was hoping they’d be.

Good trip other wise though. This is maybe my 3rd or 4th time up, but I rode the Ferris wheel and caught a show at Chez Mado for the first time. All around wonderful visit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CXT2000 View Post
Tough and chewy... two words you never ever hear about Montreal bagels lol, nice try though! (can't wait to see the U.S posters say this is "Canadian boosterism" or some other "ism").
Don’t know what to tell you. I got one all dressing and one muësli bagel and I found myself biting and tearing both much more than I’d like. We were there at noon on a weekday, so maybe the bagels were just starting to get stale if baked fresh early that morning?

Either way, I got a “classic jumbo” this morning on a bacon/cheddar bialy from Bagelsaurus, and all was right with the world!

Old 09-01-2022, 04:31 PM

3,197 posts, read 2,651,397 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boston Shudra View Post
It was actually pretty disappointing because I generally like Montreal much more as a city than NYC. Feels more laid back and artsy, and the people are nicer. But unfortunately the bagels weren’t the highlight I was hoping they’d be.

Good trip other wise though. This is maybe my 3rd or 4th time up, but I rode the Ferris wheel and caught a show at Chez Mado for the first time. All around wonderful visit.

Don’t know what to tell you. I got one all dressing and one muësli bagel and I found myself biting and tearing both much more than I’d like. We were there at noon on a weekday, so maybe the bagels were just starting to get stale if baked fresh early that morning?

Either way, I got a “classic jumbo” this morning on a bacon/cheddar bialy from Bagelsaurus, and all was right with the world!
Usually they have fresh batches on rotation a few hours a day. I go weekly, sometimes at 10am, 2pm, 5pm and night time, always had them fresh.

Old 09-01-2022, 06:01 PM

913 posts, read 559,774 times
At St Viateur, you get what's most recently come out of the oven. Most of the time, that's sesame.

The best bagels stale relatively quickly. (Just like hard rolls and baguettes)

Old 09-01-2022, 06:14 PM

7,409 posts, read 6,540,013 times
Interesting NYT article from last year claiming the best NY and Montreal style bagels in America are in…..CA

https://www.nytimes.com/2021/03/08/d...st-bagels.html

Old 09-01-2022, 10:38 PM

24,557 posts, read 18,235,988 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boston Shudra View Post
I just got back from a trip to Montreal this weekend. My partner and I went to St. Viateur on a recommendation from a local. I have to say that I wasn’t very impressed. The bagels were pretty tough and chewy. If that’s Montreal’s best, then I don’t think they can hold a candle against Boston let alone NYC.
Stick with Dunkin Donuts bagels. LOL

The whole point of a Montreal bagel is that it is small so it has texture. A bagel in Boston has no texture at all.

Old 09-13-2022, 06:27 AM

2,079 posts, read 1,123,768 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by edwardsyzzurphands View Post

It’s only fitting that place has a French-Canadian business name to it. I would try it out!

Old 09-13-2022, 06:36 AM

7,736 posts, read 5,510,947 times
I went last weekend and ate the bagels in Montreal. Count me in as a fan!

Old 09-14-2022, 12:07 AM

2,079 posts, read 1,123,768 times
@thedirtypirate ///.

Old 09-15-2022, 12:34 AM

394 posts, read 597,855 times
NY bagels are just big blobs of dough and nothing more.

Montreal bagels are slightly sweeter and have a firmer crust {unlike NY bagels which have no crust} because they are boiled in honey water as opposed to just plain water like NY. Montreal bagels are vastly tastier and have a far more appealing texture.

NY bagels are just a piece of bread with tiny little hole and not must else.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City