Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-24-2022, 09:57 AM

Location: That star on your map in the middle of the East Coast, DMV
8,128 posts, read 7,552,695 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by masssachoicetts View Post
Which makes sense. You move to DC because you have a real, real good job which require a degree.
I wish there were a bit more data on the age brackets. So straight out of college range Bachelors or higher from 24-34, and then 35 and up, and then maybe those closer to retirees age. I'd imagine you'd see the metros like Boston, Atlanta etc., and even the smaller places like Ann Arbor, Raleigh-Durham with highest percentages in the lower age brackets, although some of those do well in each age range.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-24-2022, 10:19 AM

1,203 posts, read 790,966 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the resident09 View Post
I wish there were a bit more data on the age brackets. So straight out of college range Bachelors or higher from 24-34, and then 35 and up, and then maybe those closer to retirees age. I'd imagine you'd see the metros like Boston, Atlanta etc., and even the smaller places like Ann Arbor, Raleigh-Durham with highest percentages in the lower age brackets, although some of those do well in each age range.
Census S1501 is your friend:
https://data.census.gov/cedsci/table...ST5Y2020.S1501

It only has High School or higher and BS or higher data by age range, but better than nothing.

Last edited by ion475; 08-24-2022 at 10:55 AM..

Old 08-24-2022, 11:54 AM

72 posts, read 70,511 times
Looks like Atlanta and its environs are the most educated in the country outside of the west and northeastern megalopolis. Proud of my city. Maybe it can make some strides toward other metrics!

Old 08-24-2022, 12:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by n3w5_junk13 View Post
Looks like Atlanta and its environs are the most educated in the country outside of the west and northeastern megalopolis. Proud of my city. Maybe it can make some strides toward other metrics!
Actually that would be Raleigh/Durham area, follow by Austin TX. Atlanta is definitely up there though and ranks above the like of DFW metroplex and Houston.

Old 08-24-2022, 12:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by the resident09 View Post
I just ran some calculation using the census data.

Boston and also SF/SJ skew young, i.e. percentage of 25-44 with Bachelor or higher is a lot higher than 45+. Ann Arbor, Durham MSA, and also Madison makes that list also.

But none of them beat Pittsburgh MSA. Overall metro is ~36% of people with Bachelor or higher, but for 25-44 it's close to 50%. Not surprising given that the older population in Pittsburgh are likely blue collar workers that worked in a steel mill, while the younger population are highly educated and work in healthcare or tech jobs generated from CMU. Boston also has a skewed ratio, but is overall high anyway (49% overall, ~58% for 25-44).

Austin, surprisingly, is very even. Atlanta is also fairly even, as is Washington DC MSA.

Old 08-24-2022, 01:07 PM

552 posts, read 407,565 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mwj119 View Post
I think others have already commented, but it's not the most educated big city. Nor do I think those Universities would lead it to be, if that's even a primary relationships (Denver and Seattle would lead me to believe it's not).

Not a shot at Chicago, but it's just not the reality.

Now, I will say, 41.1% is nothin' to scoff at given Chicago's sociodemographics and size. And you can't find a more educated population than what you'll find in certain neighborhoods like Lincoln Park or Gold Coast.
I guess what I've read may only be counting the top 5 cities as San Diego and San Jose have much higher percentages. Chicago is still higher than NY, L.A, Houston, Dallas, Philadelphia, Phoenix & San Antonio and that's significant.

Methodologies are subjective and arbitrary which is why you can concoct a formula that says Carmel Indiana is the best place on the planet to live or Princeton is better than Yale etc. If someone believes Ann Arbor or Provo are better destinations for people with college degrees based on 'quality-attainment-gap' statistics or whatever that's ok.

Old 08-24-2022, 01:21 PM

3,217 posts, read 2,354,185 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Montclair View Post
Here's a list for large metro areas with 1M+ population.

Adults with a Bachelor Degree or Higher, 2020:
San Jose 52.5%
Washington 51.7%
San Francisco 50.7%
Boston 48.9%
Raleigh 47.8%
Austin 46.0%
Denver 44.7%
Seattle 43.6%
Minneapolis 42.7%
New York 41.4%
Baltimore 41.0%
Portland 40.4%
Atlanta 39.6%
Hartford 39.6%
San Diego 39.5%
Chicago 39.0%
Philadelphia 38.7%
Richmond 38.0%
Kansas City 37.5%
Columbus 37.3%
Nashville 37.3%
Milwaukee 36.1%
Dallas 36.0%
Charlotte 35.9%
Pittsburgh 35.9%
Salt Lake City 35.8%
Honolulu 35.7%
Indianapolis 35.6%
Riverside 35.6%
Los Angeles 35.4%
St Louis 35.4%
Cincinnati 34.5%
Sacramento 34.3%
Grand Rapids 33.7%
Houston 33.6%
Buffalo 33.3%
Orlando 33.1%
Miami 33.0%
Providence 33.0%
Virginia Beach 32.9%
Birmingham 32.3%
Detroit 32.2%
Phoenix 32.2%
Jacksonville 32.1%
Cleveland 31.9%
Oklahoma City 31.5%
Tampa 31.2%
New Orleans 31.1%
Louisville 30.1%
Memphis 28.8%
San Antonio 28.8%
Tulsa 27.9%
Las Vegas 25.2%
Riverside 22.4%
Fresno 22.0%
To see some on this list ranked as high as they are (36%+) but then know their GDP is really lower than one would expect makes you think well what type of degrees are most prevalent? Baltimore, Milwaukee, Kansas City and Richmond have higher ratios than DFW and Houston but no one would rank their economies anywhere as high as those two Texas cities.

Old 08-24-2022, 02:31 PM

36,653 posts, read 67,487,099 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by walker1962 View Post
To see some on this list ranked as high as they are (36%+) but then know their GDP is really lower than one would expect makes you think well what type of degrees are most prevalent? Baltimore, Milwaukee, Kansas City and Richmond have higher ratios than DFW and Houston but no one would rank their economies anywhere as high as those two Texas cities.
Well, that's because educational attainment is not a guarantee that an economy will be a certain way. I think what higher educational attainment does however, is provide more qualified workers to work in the most technical fields. And you cant compare those other cities to Dallas and Houston, because Dallas and Houston are major international cities with diversified economies.

Old 08-24-2022, 03:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by walker1962 View Post
Where are you finding GDP data? And is it GDP or GDP per capita? And even then GDP data can get really skew...especially when you're talking about Houston (Oil/Gas provides high GDP).

And Milwaukee/KC/Richmond aren't all that different from DFW metroplex when it comes to Bachelor's and higher number. Baltimore gets some DC spillover alongside having one of the county with highest "Bachelor and higher percentage" (Howard County, at 62.7%) being count in the MSA.

Old 08-24-2022, 03:31 PM

Location: That star on your map in the middle of the East Coast, DMV
8,128 posts, read 7,552,695 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by n3w5_junk13 View Post
I certainly view it in that light at least as far as the Southeast/South. RDU and maybe Nashville come to mind if I were just guessing without looking at the numbers, but Atlanta is the epicenter for educational attainment IMO in that part of the country.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City