Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-29-2022, 09:36 AM

2,440 posts, read 4,834,913 times

Advertisements

In Cleveland, I guess, two interesting things would include the art museum and its grounds, and the Public Square. In Indianapolis, Monument Circle, right at the dead center of town. I personally liked the Indiana War Memorial nearby, a huge monument on a pedestal with views out to a formal mall. Seemed to me kind of nostalgic, to think of a time when people believed enough in a civilized future to memorialize the "war to end all wars" on that scale, only to have a second, more horrible war come along 21 years later. There's also lots of scenic paths and waterways west of the state capitol for strolling and hanging out.

Old 09-29-2022, 10:56 AM

810 posts, read 2,161,175 times
Is Indianapolis somewhat of a Sunbeltish city?

Old 09-29-2022, 11:22 AM

8,977 posts, read 17,281,075 times
Cleveland is consistently one of the most overhyped cities on this forum, and Indy one of the consistently most over-criticized. You're not going to get a lot of recommendations to visit Indy over Cleveland, and really, that is ok. I've been to Cleveland, and it is fine, but my goodness it is overhyped on this forum. Food/nightlife, that sort of depends what you're looking for but I found them to be pretty comparable. The Cleveland Orchestra is world class.

Two interesting things to do in Indy? The sort of generic response to that might be the Indy Motor Speedway and the Children's Museum. I don't know you, but I'm not really into racecars so the thought of spending a day at IMS isn't immediately appealing. I am a parent, so I have been to the Children's Museum many many times. It is cool, it is the world's largest museum of the sort, but I can't imagine wanting to go there without kids. I'm told grown-ups do, and they enjoy it, but that isn't my idea of a good time. I'm personally a fan of our art museum property. The whole campus is referred to as Newfields, but it contains the IMA, garden, and 100 Acres. 100 Acres is free, the rest isn't.

Fall is a nice time to visit as the leaves are turning color and there are fall festivals and pumpkin patches opening up for October. Just south of Indy we have Hoosier National Forest and Brown County State Park, both are great places to stand on an overlook and see all the colors. Our most interesting conventions have already happened, Gen Con is probably the signature event and that happened over the summer.

Obviously, Cleveland is on Lake Erie which offers up a level of recreation that can't be matched in Indy if that is something you're into. I personally am a big fan of the Great Lakes, though, October and November are not prime visiting months for that part of the lake.

Old 09-29-2022, 12:44 PM

60 posts, read 57,841 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vivo View Post
In the sense that it has had continued suburban growth that sprawls out, yes. It has a more walkable and urban downtown than most sunbelt cities though. It’s very comparable to Columbus Ohio in that it has some legacy city traits and some sunbelt traits.

Old 09-29-2022, 01:38 PM

17,874 posts, read 15,932,559 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vivo View Post
It is within the Rust Belt.

Old 09-29-2022, 01:48 PM

17,874 posts, read 15,932,559 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toxic Toast View Post
Cleveland is consistently one of the most overhyped cities on this forum, and Indy one of the consistently most over-criticized. You're not going to get a lot of recommendations to visit Indy over Cleveland, and really, that is ok. I've been to Cleveland, and it is fine, but my goodness it is overhyped on this forum. Food/nightlife, that sort of depends what you're looking for but I found them to be pretty comparable. The Cleveland Orchestra is world class.

Two interesting things to do in Indy? The sort of generic response to that might be the Indy Motor Speedway and the Children's Museum. I don't know you, but I'm not really into racecars so the thought of spending a day at IMS isn't immediately appealing. I am a parent, so I have been to the Children's Museum many many times. It is cool, it is the world's largest museum of the sort, but I can't imagine wanting to go there without kids. I'm told grown-ups do, and they enjoy it, but that isn't my idea of a good time. I'm personally a fan of our art museum property. The whole campus is referred to as Newfields, but it contains the IMA, garden, and 100 Acres. 100 Acres is free, the rest isn't.

Fall is a nice time to visit as the leaves are turning color and there are fall festivals and pumpkin patches opening up for October. Just south of Indy we have Hoosier National Forest and Brown County State Park, both are great places to stand on an overlook and see all the colors. Our most interesting conventions have already happened, Gen Con is probably the signature event and that happened over the summer.

Obviously, Cleveland is on Lake Erie which offers up a level of recreation that can't be matched in Indy if that is something you're into. I personally am a big fan of the Great Lakes, though, October and November are not prime visiting months for that part of the lake.
Before I made this thread, I was leaning towards Indy. I only spent two nights though driving through. I never got to see the place. I did seem very sprawly, and car centric. I stayed near the big airport. Around there, if you just want a cup of coffee, you have to drive. Even the parking lots are so massive walking be a pain.

I was told is more walkable downtown, and near the sports arenas. Plus it is closer to Chicago, and I was hoping they have some good deep dish pizza. In case people wonder I dont just go to Chicago as it is not that much further. I wanted to save Chicago for the winter some year.

Cleveland though is closer to me of course. I wish I can go to Canada.

Old 09-29-2022, 01:59 PM

1,203 posts, read 791,866 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJ Brazen_3133 View Post
Before I made this thread, I was leaning towards Indy. I only spent two nights though driving through. I never got to see the place. I did seem very sprawly, and car centric. I stayed near the big airport. Around there, if you just want a cup of coffee, you have to drive. Even the parking lots are so massive walking be a pain.

I was told is more walkable downtown, and near the sports arenas. Plus it is closer to Chicago, and I was hoping they have some good deep dish pizza. In case people wonder I dont just go to Chicago as it is not that much further. I wanted to save Chicago for the winter some year.

For deep dish, use to be just Giordano's but Lou Malnati's now have branches in Indy (and the latter is much better for a chain). For Chicago food you also have Portillo's in Indy...

For Indy - b/c it IS a giant suburb for the most part that just merge with the county to make its city limit big. The IPS boundary is where the "urban" part of Indy mostly is but that's only maybe 1/6 (if even that) of Marion County. That being said if you're just next to the airport even Rosemont (next to ORD in Chicago) and points nearby is nothing but suburbia and is not walkable at all.
=================
Back on topic - between the two I pick Cleveland. Indy downtown is pleasant but you can go to every single interesting place within 2 days max.

Old 09-29-2022, 02:50 PM

9,679 posts, read 9,380,908 times
Indy is not an exciting place, whatsoever. I would choose Cleveland to visit. Cleveland is not as bland, and has more culture. Indy can be pretentious.

Old 09-29-2022, 03:28 PM

7,108 posts, read 8,963,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shakeesha View Post
Indy is not an exciting place, whatsoever. I would choose Cleveland to visit. Cleveland is not as bland, and has more culture. Indy can be pretentious.
I've never thought of Indianapolis as bland. I do believe Cleveland has more culture. I've never seen Indy as pretentious.

Old 09-29-2022, 04:59 PM

8,977 posts, read 17,281,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJ Brazen_3133 View Post

Yeah, the airport is out in no man's land. I wouldn't judge Indy, Cleveland, or Chicago based on where the airports are.

Downtown/Mass Ave, Fountain Square, and Broad Ripple are the most walkable areas. I wouldn't recommend visiting much of anything in Indy's outer townships except Eagle Creek Park or if you're just looking for a long bike ride on the Monon Trail.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City